Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why you should never let friend drive your Model X. CEO of Coffee.club runs a Red Light

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, could not believe my friend could not figure out how to drive the Tesla, caught on Facebook live video. He's the CEO of Coffee.club, a pretty smart guy but you just have to watch. He ran two red lights and probably got 2 red light camera tickets I have to pay for. Beware of letting friends drive your X.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=863138560487599&id=336451809822946

6 coffee.club.png

Wow. It's stupid people like that who give Tesla owners a bad name. Not only using Auto Pilot where it's not supposed to be used, but also telling the buffoon in the driver's seat to not use the brake when that's exactly what he should be doing at a red light!

It's too bad people aren't required to take a common sense idiot test before being allowed to buy (or drive) a car.

The owner of that Model X deserves every traffic ticket he gets. I hope they're expensive.

After watching the video I have to admit that AP needs to be dumbed down for the general population and Tesla needs to dramatically ramp up the training of their DSs and have some sort of training program for new owners BEFORE AP is turned on. on. I personally do not want any restrictions on AP (wish I had stayed on 7.0) but the video made me afraid for everyone outside of that MX.

• Helpful
Reactions: cwerdna and BillO
This is why I'm grateful for Josh Brown's death... Although his family will suffer every day for the rest of their lives having to live without a husband/dad, because of what happened to my fellow Ohioan I will never find myself tempted to take my hands off the wheel or encourage others to do so. Maybe a few months ago before the tragedy that happened in Florida (on a stretch of highway I've driven many times with my cousin from same area no less), I would have been like Colin here when showing a friend my Model X... But not any more. I'm grateful for the radar improvements that are coming soon but it will be a long time before I ever call AP self driving or trust it like I used to before Josh Brown's death.

I dont think Josh's death should be a message or reason to not trust AP. He clearly wasn't using it correctly. Is it disappointing that it didn't detect a semi truck across the lane? Sure. Am I happy the new enhancements will allow it to detect this situation in the future? Of course. But had he been paying attention he had more than adequate time to stop the car. The fact that he never applied the brake I believe is an indication he was significantly distracted.

I love the feature. I believe it removes a fair amount of stress. But it doesn't, and never has, removed the driver's responsibility to stay attentive and operate the vehicle.

I normally don't hold the wheel. I keep one hand towards the bottom. If I see road ahead that I think AP might struggle with, I put my hands on the wheel. If I see road ahead that I know AP will have problems with, or is dangerous (construction zone, for example) I turn it off. I've operated this way for thousands of miles, cross-country, etc.

You just have to pay attention. It's really that simple.

The more I think about it the more I come to the conclusion that it would really suck to die while in a Tesla.

You're listening to some movie paying attention just fine while AP is on, but then a bee distracts you. You're sitting there trying to kill it or swat it out of the way, and then suddenly you realize at the moment that you're about to slam into a truck.

Or you're going along just fine, but you suddenly get chest pains. You're sitting there in pain wondering what the hell is going on, and then you black out.

In either case you look back, and everyone has it all so wrong.

When you die alone you take with you why you died.

• Love
Reactions: MikeC
Surprised at the criticism. Clearly he didn't know how to drive it and probably wasn't the best listener. But he learned after a few minutes what to do and not to do. And loves it and will probably by a Tesla. Just thought it was a funny video that might show us how someone who doesn't have a lot of tech understanding needs a little more time for training. Clearly I should have had him learn before leaving the parking lot. Its tricky though because you need to be on a road to show people. Maybe a demo mode would help with newbees. Otherwise lets just have a good laugh.

Colin

Surprised at the criticism. .... Clearly I should have had him learn before leaving the parking lot.

Colin

You have the answer for the criticism in your own post. You allowed this man with no knowledge of the systems to run through two red lights with a 5000lb vehicle, with 3 other innocent people on board. And then you post it online for all to see. If all you get is criticism I'd say you should consider yourself lucky.

An IQ and "autopilot" test before activation for each driver, and each driver face or fingerprint recognition to confirm it's them (on mobile app?)

An on-screen DMV like test would be perfect.
I'm beginning to think Tesla should have a compulsory training course in a simulator to teach people how to use AP, and what it can and can't do before it can be enabled in a car.

Status
Not open for further replies.