TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wi Fi Range Extender question

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Impala1ss, May 7, 2018.

1. Impala1ss

Impala1ss Member

cliffs: Which symbols mean I am conected to internet? Bars [​IMG]or WiFi [​IMG] symbol?

My MS is connected wirelessly from desktop router. On the top of my MCU I can see bars (like on my cell phone) although I could not see that I was connected to my modem/router in my office. I'm still on 2018.10.4 software so thinking I was missing updates due to no connection, I bought a Range Extender and plugged it in kitchen, just outside of the garage. Now at the top of the MCU I see the wifi ice cream cone icon. I can see that I am connected to my internet.

Do the bars mean that I was connected or not connected (I have received every update this way in the past). Does the WiFi ice cream cone display mean that I am connected now.

2. GatorGuy

GatorGuy Member

Bars are LTE. It should've said LTE right next to them.

3. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

Both mean internet. Bars = LTE, arcs = Wi-Fi

4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

If you want to be pedantic (nah, that never happens at TMC! :D ), nothing says an AP is actually connected to the Internet. In normal practice, yes, of course! But a good test is to turn off wifi, since it removes all that crap you personally set up and you can see if it works now if it didn’t before.