Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wi Fi Range Extender question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cliffs: Which symbols mean I am conected to internet? Bars
ios11-cellular-signal-icon.png
or WiFi
4000530_en_1
symbol?

My MS is connected wirelessly from desktop router. On the top of my MCU I can see bars (like on my cell phone) although I could not see that I was connected to my modem/router in my office. I'm still on 2018.10.4 software so thinking I was missing updates due to no connection, I bought a Range Extender and plugged it in kitchen, just outside of the garage. Now at the top of the MCU I see the wifi ice cream cone icon. I can see that I am connected to my internet.

Do the bars mean that I was connected or not connected (I have received every update this way in the past). Does the WiFi ice cream cone display mean that I am connected now.

Both mean internet. Bars = LTE, arcs = Wi-Fi
If you want to be pedantic (nah, that never happens at TMC! :D ), nothing says an AP is actually connected to the Internet. In normal practice, yes, of course! But a good test is to turn off wifi, since it removes all that crap you personally set up and you can see if it works now if it didn’t before.