Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Widest tires in front for square set up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone running 255s in a square set up? Interested to see if anyone has 255s in the front and if they've experienced any rubbing.

I'm looking to get some 19x8.5 wheels with either +33 or +35 offset wrapped in Pilot Sport 4S 255/40/19 or even possibly 265/40/19. I have a feeling the 265s with +35mm offset wheels might be pushing the limit. Looking to push the tires out as far as possible without overdoing it. Even at 255s, I'm looking at 3/4" wider than stock, and almost 3/4" taller. 265s would be more than an 1" wider and taller...

If anyone is running 255s in the front, would love to hear how it's going and if you've had any issues. Pics would be a plus!

TIA

Tsportline confirmed 255s fit fine in front.... and at least one wheel vendor showed a customer in Hawaii running 265s in the front and they said they hadn't reported any problems.

I think that was on 18s though (where 265/40-18 is actually identical total diameter as the stock 235/45s)

• Informative
Reactions: O Dub
That's good news to me. I'm going to let our Model 3 run with the 235s on the 18" wheel for a while, to see what kind of efficiency we get out of them. It will be my wife's daily driver, so efficiency is important because of the distance she has to drive. But, she's been using our E Class as her daily driver and has been used to 265s on a 18" wheel for about a year and a half. The E Class and the Model 3 have the same WB and have similar curb weight. I really like the driving dynamic of the E Class (somewhat sad to give it up), so I'd really like to move the Model 3 to 265s at some point.

That's good news to me. I'm going to let our Model 3 run with the 235s on the 18" wheel for a while, to see what kind of efficiency we get out of them. It will be my wife's daily driver, so efficiency is important because of the distance she has to drive. But, she's been using our E Class as her daily driver and has been used to 265s on a 18" wheel for about a year and a half. The E Class and the Model 3 have the same WB and have similar curb weight. I really like the driving dynamic of the E Class (somewhat sad to give it up), so I'd really like to move the Model 3 to 265s at some point.

We noticed a 20% reduction in range when switching from 18" aeros to 18x9.5" wheels with 265's. This is largely due to the additional exposed tire to the wind and rolling resistance of performance tires. If you aren't much for road trips it will probably not be an issue for you, but you can always swap back when you know you need the range.

We noticed a 20% reduction in range when switching from 18" aeros to 18x9.5" wheels with 265's. This is largely due to the additional exposed tire to the wind and rolling resistance of performance tires. If you aren't much for road trips it will probably not be an issue for you, but you can always swap back when you know you need the range.

That's actually important information for us. My Wife's daily commute is 110 miles Round Trip. Dropping 20% would hurt us, so it might now be a good idea for us to go back up a 265.

If anyone is running 245 or 255 on the 18" Aero, what are y'all seeing compared to stock performance on the 235s?

That's actually important information for us. My Wife's daily commute is 110 miles Round Trip. Dropping 20% would hurt us, so it might now be a good idea for us to go back up a 265.

If anyone is running 245 or 255 on the 18" Aero, what are y'all seeing compared to stock performance on the 235s?

Running wider tires on the Aero's will also reduce your range, as the angle of the sidewall to the rim is also a factor in the aerodynamics. You may have overall higher lateral G's but the handling will feel squishy and imprecise.

Running wider tires on the Aero's will also reduce your range, as the angle of the sidewall to the rim is also a factor in the aerodynamics. You may have overall higher lateral G's but the handling will feel squishy and imprecise.

Does putting spacers on cause a loss in range ? -- If so, how much of a loss with going flush to the fender in City & highway driving ?

We are running 275's, full lock to lock, no rubbing even when hitting curbs at the racetrack. There is only a few mm clearance from the tire to the suspension! Full specs here: The Future – Tesla Model 3
Any pictures of the 275's on the front? Considering either 255's on 18 aeros (not ideal but better than 235 all seasons) or the same wheel and tire setup you have with the 275's all round, with the areo's on OEM all season tires for road trips.

How are the 19 Advan RGIII Wheels? Do the rims overhang the tires like the 235/curb rash as big a threat (I'm pretty good about curb rash but figured I'd ask anyway)? RGIII are cast right? Last time I bought cast aftermarket wheels on another car I went a little cheaper than I should and the wheel got a bend or two in them.

Likewise, it would be my GF's daily driver, but not concerned with efficiency since he commute is only 10 min each way. But I'd be running probably 19x9 +35 wheels so I wanted to make sure I cleared the suspension

Reactions: paco878
Tsportline confirmed 255s fit fine in front.... and at least one wheel vendor showed a customer in Hawaii running 265s in the front and they said they hadn't reported any problems.

I think that was on 18s though (where 265/40-18 is actually identical total diameter as the stock 235/45s)
If they're running 265/40/18 than I should have no problem running 255/40/19.
Section width of the 265 is .39" more than 255/40/19, although the tire height is .7" more on the 255 and tire circumference is 2.2" more on the 255. Does anyone think the circumference being 2.2" more than 265s will be an issue with 19" wheels?

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 11.45.19 AM.png

Any pictures of the 275's on the front? Considering either 255's on 18 aeros (not ideal but better than 235 all seasons) or the same wheel and tire setup you have with the 275's all round, with the areo's on OEM all season tires for road trips.

How are the 19 Advan RGIII Wheels? Do the rims overhang the tires like the 235/curb rash as big a threat (I'm pretty good about curb rash but figured I'd ask anyway)? RGIII are cast right? Last time I bought cast aftermarket wheels on another car I went a little cheaper than I should and the wheel got a bend or two in them.

They are forged wheels, we always run a stretch on our track tires so you would probably curb them if you aren't careful! Good wheels bend, cheap wheels break. Consider yourself lucky!

Reactions: ElectricGhost
@MountainPass thanks for the fitment info, this has helped answer a lot of questions for several folks including myself (see: Titan7 GB thread).

QQ: Is the clearance the same for a RWD and a Dual Motor? E.g. - would 19x10 +35 on 275s also 'fit' on a P3D-? And would the same be the case at stock height vs lowered?

And BTW - the RE71s are a phenominal tire price/performance wise. I ran them on my STI both auto-x and as a daily driver and they lasted nearly 5 years!

So does 255/40/19 setup with 19X9 inch wheel square set up clears the front and no problems everyday driving? I was thinking about the Nokian WR G4 wheels for the winter setup but only comes in 255/40/19 and no 245/40/19 is available.

So does 255/40/19 setup with 19X9 inch wheel square set up clears the front and no problems everyday driving? I was thinking about the Nokian WR G4 wheels for the winter setup but only comes in 255/40/19 and no 245/40/19 is available.

Why would you want wider tires in the winter? You may want to consider narrower tires for better snow performance.

Reactions: Big Earl