Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Widest tires on 19x9" Rims

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

I know there are several threads on this, but I could not figure out the answer to my precise questions, so I was hoping I could get some help! I know there are a ton of tire threads (several I participated in) but I am trying to find the proper tire size to fit on 19x9 rims. After how horrible the 20" performance rims have been, I am switching my winters to be dual use summer/winter use. I want to go as wide as possible with a bit taller sidewall (if possible) without rubbing obviously.

What is the consensus on the widest size?

I know the stock size for 19" is 235/40/R19. This is a 671mm diameter (per Tire size calculator: compare tires online).

Thus I am thinking either 255/40/R19, which is 687mm, or about 2% more diameter, which is desirable to me.

OR

I am thinking either 265/35/R19, which is 668mm, thus nearly identical diamiter to stock, which gives me a bit more width for similar ride; although I am stretching the limit of a 9" rim.

OR

Ideally, I would like to do 265/40/R19, which is a 4% increase (695mm) or 255/45/R19 which is 712mm, or about 6% increase in diameter.

Thus my specific questions:

1) I am assuming the following sizes would fit, can someone confirm?:
  • 255/40/R19
  • 265/35/R19
2) Does anyone have experience with a wider diameter fitting or are Control Arms too close?:
  • 255/45/R19
  • 265/40/R19
Thank you for all the help, especially since I know this is a partial repeat question.

I have this wheel set up and I went with 245/45/19. They fit the wheel very well. I did consider 265/35, but I figured there is already enough of a range hit with the performance tires and larger wheels. I considered staggered as well but this car is so balanced it just didn't make sense between the range hit and losing the ability to rotate tires properly. I did consider the 255 as well but I didn't want to have spindle clearance issues related to diameter, it is close in there.

So in summary, you might want to put 245/45 onto your list to consider.

I have this wheel set up and I went with 245/45/19. They fit the wheel very well. I did consider 265/35, but I figured there is already enough of a range hit with the performance tires and larger wheels. I considered staggered as well but this car is so balanced it just didn't make sense between the range hit and losing the ability to rotate tires properly. I did consider the 255 as well but I didn't want to have spindle clearance issues related to diameter, it is close in there.

So in summary, you might want to put 245/45 onto your list to consider.
Thanks for that info!

What are the offsets of the 19x9?
I have 255/40, and I’ve seen others run this as well, but you’ll need about +35 offsets or lower, it’s very close to the front arms (mine doesn’t touch, but about a finger gap), def don’t get 255/45, that’ll probably hit.
~10% range hit. Trade off is more grip (also have summer tires instead of stock), I haven’t done any braking tests, but I’d bet it’ll be shorter.

I am using the stock sport wheels (19/8.5/+40) with 255/40 and have no issues at all, plenty of clearance, I do pay a 10% range penalty vs. stock, Tires I am running are the Continental Extremecontact DWS06 all seasons.

The range penalty is a fair trade to me for the better handling (not just corners but overall better handling) ride is much better as well going from 3.7" sidewall to 4" sidewall.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

265s work on an 8.5" rim (even though officially 255 is the max) and lots of folks run them on various sport sedans... so 265 on a 9" rim would be no issue at all.

All that said- the car isn't traction limited in the first place- so wider tires won't really do anything for you except be less efficient and maybe slightly help cornering on a race track... and wider is worse in winter as well if you plan to run these year round.

All that said- the car isn't traction limited in the first place- so wider tires won't really do anything for you except be less efficient and maybe slightly help cornering on a race track... and wider is worse in winter as well if you plan to run these year round.
Can't really test out the winter issue here (-45 is like a blizzard to me!) I really like the wider tires that I have chosen as it gives the car a more planted feel at all times, not just in corners, yes I do have a 10% range hit but with a 100 load rating vs. the 96 my car came with it just seems more suited to this heavier car, the larger diameter actually corrected the speedo to be spot on now, there is a little more sidewall for comfort as well and it does not hurt to have just a tiny bit of rim rash protection in case you get a little too close to a curb, I understand why Tesla puts the tires they do on their cars as range is King to most people when shopping but the car really benefits greatly from a larger tire except of course the range hit.

Hello All,

I know there are several threads on this, but I could not figure out the answer to my precise questions, so I was hoping I could get some help! I know there are a ton of tire threads (several I participated in) but I am trying to find the proper tire size to fit on 19x9 rims. After how horrible the 20" performance rims have been, I am switching my winters to be dual use summer/winter use. I want to go as wide as possible with a bit taller sidewall (if possible) without rubbing obviously.

What is the consensus on the widest size?

I know the stock size for 19" is 235/40/R19. This is a 671mm diameter (per Tire size calculator: compare tires online).

Thus I am thinking either 255/40/R19, which is 687mm, or about 2% more diameter, which is desirable to me.

OR

I am thinking either 265/35/R19, which is 668mm, thus nearly identical diamiter to stock, which gives me a bit more width for similar ride; although I am stretching the limit of a 9" rim.

OR

Ideally, I would like to do 265/40/R19, which is a 4% increase (695mm) or 255/45/R19 which is 712mm, or about 6% increase in diameter.

Thus my specific questions:

1) I am assuming the following sizes would fit, can someone confirm?:
  • 255/40/R19
  • 265/35/R19
2) Does anyone have experience with a wider diameter fitting or are Control Arms too close?:
  • 255/45/R19
  • 265/40/R19
Thank you for all the help, especially since I know this is a partial repeat question.
What made the 20’s horrible?

What are the offsets of the 19x9?
I have 255/40, and I’ve seen others run this as well, but you’ll need about +35 offsets or lower, it’s very close to the front arms (mine doesn’t touch, but about a finger gap), def don’t get 255/45, that’ll probably hit.
~10% range hit. Trade off is more grip (also have summer tires instead of stock), I haven’t done any braking tests, but I’d bet it’ll be shorter.

So you are running 255/40/19? Have any pics of clearance? +40mm offset on rims.

Here's the link:
https://m.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ted&initialPartNumber=F388502GB&selectedRear=

I am using the stock sport wheels (19/8.5/+40) with 255/40 and have no issues at all, plenty of clearance, I do pay a 10% range penalty vs. stock, Tires I am running are the Continental Extremecontact DWS06 all seasons.

The range penalty is a fair trade to me for the better handling (not just corners but overall better handling) ride is much better as well going from 3.7" sidewall to 4" sidewall.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...9DWS06XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

That's my hope. Will the +40mm offset on 9" rims change the fit? I'm not well versed in offset sizing.

265s work on an 8.5" rim (even though officially 255 is the max) and lots of folks run them on various sport sedans... so 265 on a 9" rim would be no issue at all.

I decided on 255 for a 9". I don't want a stretch look.

These runs were my winter's but going to running then year round. Winters are skinnier (245? 235?).

As for traction, that is the goal :)

I'm running the standard 19" Tesla Sport wheels, with 15mm BLOXsport spacers all around. I should have gone with 20mm spacers in the rear but oh well. I'm at about 16,000 miles and will need to change tires at around 20,000. I would rather have no spacers at all and was curious what the best tire selection would be to do that, making it as flush as possible. I realize I would have to run a staggered set up. By the way, I do have the T-Sportline 1" springs on there. Thanks so much for any help!

MSM3.jpg

MSM (2).jpg

So as an update....

255/40/19 did NOT fit. Height wise was incredibly close and may have fit, but width was the issue, they just rubbed. My rims are 9" with +35mm offset, thus if it was +40 offset you might just fit.

I had my shop order 255/35/19 as backup as I was worried the 40 would not fit. The 255/35/19 just fit. Obviously my sidewall is a bit smaller than stock 19", but still 10% more sidewall than the 20s and about 10% wider. This also gave me an accidental .5" drop. I'd rather the 40s, but not looking to buy another set of rims with +40 offset. I was worried because the overall diameter is about 1" less, the wheels would look small, but I am actually pretty happy!

Thanks all for the help!

• Informative
Reactions: srk67 and SD_Engnr
So as an update....

255/40/19 did NOT fit. Height wise was incredibly close and may have fit, but width was the issue, they just rubbed. My rims are 9" with +35mm offset, thus if it was +40 offset you might just fit.

Going +40 instead of +35 will bring the wheel/tire closer to the suspension, so would not work.

So is the variance the tire brand/model? Two other posters here have the 255/40/19 size with no clearance issues and another has an even taller tire at 245/45/19 with no issues as well. I know not all tires in same size fit the same way from brand to brand.

So is the variance the tire brand/model? Two other posters here have the 255/40/19 size with no clearance issues and another has an even taller tire at 245/45/19 with no issues as well. I know not all tires in same size fit the same way from brand to brand.

It looks like the OP has the PS4S's on his rims. Michelin's tend to run a "wider" tread pattern and a more "square" look than same sized tires from other brands. In fact, the P3D+'s 235/35R20s run more like that of a 255 width from other brands. I'm actually planning on running my PS4S in their OEM 235/35R20 variant on a 9.5" width wheel, albeit I actually like the stretched tire look, especially for a "rounder" cars such as the 3.