Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi connection problem when access point is connected through a VLAN switch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have one strange fault in my network setup that prevents my 2013 Model S in connecting to a wireless network at home when a wireless access point is connected trough a switch on a port that is configured with VLAN.

The Model S just got a new MCU1 unit. I have waited a long time for the LTE retrofit and "lucky me", when retrofitting they broke something on the 6 year old MCU having them to install a new one... Problem still persist after upgrade.

My Model X with MCU2 connects just fine, just as every other piece of equipment that is capable of WiFi connection.

I have a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter 4 set up with different VLAN's for different purposes and basic firewall to prevent some communications between VLAN’s on some of the VLAN’s. A Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch 24-Port 250w connected to EdgeRouter via the SFP/ eth3 Port. I also tried a Netgear Switch connected to the eth1 Port.

When the wireless access point is connected directly to eth1 Port or via Netgear Switch on a port with no VLAN configured/standard 192.168.1.1/24 the car connects fine. As soon as the access point is connected to another port with a different VLAN configured the car will not connect. Same problem applies when I connect the access point to the EdgeSwitch. Eth3 Port is as standard configured with VLAN 192.168.3.1/24 but I do not have any firewall rules or can find anything that differs from the 192.168.1.1/24 yet the problem persists when an access point is connected via the 192.168.3.1/24 VLAN.

I have tried multiple ports on different VLAN’s with a Netgear wireless router (in switch mode) where my mac connects fine but my Tesla does not. My installed system consists of a Ubiquiti AP AC Lite and a Pro with different SSID on VLAN’s 3, 20 & 30 but no luck getting my Model S to connect to that. I have also tried some older wireless routers but since the car connects fine when the address is 192.168.1.x I suspect my VLAN configuration.

The car finds the networks, I can input password, and the network is stored, but the car does not connect at all.

Anyone experienced something similar? I have googled whatever question I can think of and read a lot of threads regarding WiFi connection but none applies to my problem.

I have the same experience. I cannot connect my Tesla 3 (February 2019 and I do not know the MCU model) to my Ubiquiti AP AC Lite access point which is located in the garage through a switch. The 16 port switch is needed because of many gadgets at home and the router of the fiber connection has only 4 ports. I will try to connect it directly to the router of the fiber connection tonight.

I have the same experience. I cannot connect my Tesla 3 (February 2019 and I do not know the MCU model) to my Ubiquiti AP AC Lite access point which is located in the garage through a switch. The 16 port switch is needed because of many gadgets at home and the router of the fiber connection has only 4 ports. I will try to connect it directly to the router of the fiber connection tonight.

Model 3 MCU is probably much more similar to MCU2. Comparisons can most likely be found here on the forum.

Most common problems I have found that people have is:
-The old Parrot network adapter for MCU1 only supports older wireless technology. 802.11b/g and people have been solving this by setting their 802.11n router to 40 mhz and choosing channel 1 or 3. We have some additional channels available here in Europe but its unlikely a problem and should be supported by the network adapter?
-Some are having problem connecting to a 20 VLAN. I have VLAN 20 as my main wireless network and my X with MCU2 have no problem connecting to that.
-I have also read that people are able to connect the car when they remove any VPN configured on the router, but from what I remember that is not a permanent fix.

Best of luck finding out what your problem is!

In my setup, I use an access point/repeater, connected via Ethernet to a switch but with only a single VLAN configured on the switch port. I found that the Tesla would connect but was unable to acquire an IP address. I resolved this issue by configuring the access point to handle DHCP on local WiFi connections, for a small section of the same subnet and I only have the Tesla configured to use this SSID. This issue only affects the Tesla - other devices don't have this issue.
In the VLAN case, is it possible that the Tesla is using VLANs locally and that this is somehow clashing with your own use of VLANs?

• Helpful
Reactions: anders.heibo
In my setup, I use an access point/repeater, connected via Ethernet to a switch but with only a single VLAN configured on the switch port. I found that the Tesla would connect but was unable to acquire an IP address. I resolved this issue by configuring the access point to handle DHCP on local WiFi connections, for a small section of the same subnet and I only have the Tesla configured to use this SSID. This issue only affects the Tesla - other devices don't have this issue.
In the VLAN case, is it possible that the Tesla is using VLANs locally and that this is somehow clashing with your own use of VLANs?
Thank you! That is something I have not tested yet.

Hitting a dead end on my part here. The Ubiquiti AP's don't handle DHCP. My router and switch run on UNMS and AP's use UniFi controller..
I am a novice getting around on the most part but setting up my Netgear router with a suitable DHCP range to act as a DHCP gives me an awful lot of trouble. It keeps resetting it's own IP address to 192.168.1.1 to avoid conflict with my Internet Service Provider. So I might give up and connect it directly to the router Eth1 port and use it as a Access Point..

Given your last question It could be, but would be strange since my other car connects just fine on VLAN 20.

Finally got it working setting up my Netgear router to use the 10.0.0.1 ip range connected to a port on my Ubiquiti Edgeswitch using VLAN 85! I now have full VLAN firewall on that wireless access point! And strangely that works for my car...

Thank you!

Reactions: .jg.