Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi connectivity issues with NEW MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up new model S100D Friday. MCU2. Firmware 2018.10.6 b532133. I’ve noticed several problems. Have called Support several times. They said these problems are widespread and they are working on a fix.
Problems:
1. Can’t do steering wheel soft reset
2. Can’t connect to Wi-Fi
3. Charging fault where the car falsely reports that there is something wrong with my charging cable ( I have tested this at two different charging locations with same result and charging worked fine on the 85D I traded in on Friday).
4. Intermittent loss of all sound from the car including music from various sources and sound associated with turn signals.

My complaints have been “escalated” to engineering. The problem with charging seemed to get their attention since that would be a killer.

The good news is that AP works better in the new car then in my old 85D HW1 MCU1 car (and it will keep improving ). The second good news is that I’m sure they will work this MCU2 stuff out in the next days and weeks although it will probably take longer than customers want.

Ok, things are starting to make sense to be a little bit. Thanks for this post. Picked up my X P100D early april (new MCU), and I've noticed some of these same things:

1. Can't do the steering wheel soft reset (the scroll wheel or the top buttons)
2. For a while, the wi-fi said "initializing" and wouldn't show me any access points...but now i can see the access points but I can't connect (keeps saying check password....i've tried multiple routers, multiple wifi protocols (in 2.4 and 5 ghz flavors) and even tried no password to no avail).
3. I have a wall connector installed at my house with a 90 amp breaker. When i first plug in my car, it reads 72/72 amps, as it should. After about 10 - 20 minutes, it ramps down to 54/54 for no apparent reason. The dash reads "Charge Speed Reduced: Check for an extension cord or bad utility wiring". I had an electrician install everything up to code, he even came by to check things out after i reported this error...but everything seems fine with the wiring and voltage coming into the house. It's either the car, or the wall connector. At this point i'm going to assume it's the car.
4. On day 2 of ownership, I was showing a friend the car and we started driving around when I noticed that the sound wasn't working (blinkers or music). I was connected to the slacker streaming service, and it looked like it was playing....but no sound. We couldn't figure out what happened and it went away after I restarted the car the next day (hasn't recurred since then....)

Hopefully these are indeed just software issues, it's a little comforting (a little) to think that these things i've been noticing might be related. I'm currently on v8.1 2018.12, not sure why i haven't gotten .14 yet.

My WiFi issue was solved with 2018.14.
Although...
This screen still pops up when I’m out & about as if I never connected to WiFi.
EF3663E3-66CC-48A5-83C4-E9599766CB6A.jpeg

I picked up new model S100D Friday. MCU2. Firmware 2018.10.6 b532133. I’ve noticed several problems. Have called Support several times. They said these problems are widespread and they are working on a fix.
Problems:
1. Can’t do steering wheel soft reset
2. Can’t connect to Wi-Fi
3. Charging fault where the car falsely reports that there is something wrong with my charging cable ( I have tested this at two different charging locations with same result and charging worked fine on the 85D I traded in on Friday).
4. Intermittent loss of all sound from the car including music from various sources and sound associated with turn signals.

My complaints have been “escalated” to engineering. The problem with charging seemed to get their attention since that would be a killer.

The good news is that AP works better in the new car then in my old 85D HW1 MCU1 car (and it will keep improving ). The second good news is that I’m sure they will work this MCU2 stuff out in the next days and weeks although it will probably take longer than customers want.

Brief update: Got 2018.14.2 a88808e last night. WiFi works now. Steering reset works. Have had a few glitch type episodes all cured by steering wheel reset. Charging mostly working but did have one repeat of the same issue. No more loss of sound. So 3 of 4 issues fixed, one still glitchy.