Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wifi connectivity issues with NEW MCU

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up my 100D on friday.... ive yet to be able to connect with my wifi.... have any new owners experienced this? Tesla service has just informed me that Tesla engineers are working on a firmware fix.....fwiw

Just as a note, I always reboot after a software update. It has fixed many things that were there after a normal installation. One thing is that is redoes the the Wifi and VPN connection to the mothership. (I had overcharging after 2017.10 and the reboot fixed it.)

And, BTW, there is no additional 'benefit' to stepping on the brakes when rebooting the MCU. The scroll wheels do all the 'work'. The brake pedal will wake it up if for some reason it doesn't on its own. But there is no 'brake pedal' reboot. There has never been a confirmed 'better reboot' using the pedal.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
Well, when reboots didn’t work for the 2017.42 AP 2.5 bricking, they suggested it. :D And for those that can’t reboot, not many other choices, are they?

Try it yourself. The MCU comes on the same as a reboot. Looks like a reboot to me. But who knows what’s going on internally. It looks in both cases like you are pulling the power from it and restarting it. One may or may not be doing more in the sense of clearing things, you are correct there.

Last edited:
I picked up new model S100D Friday. MCU2. Firmware 2018.10.6 b532133. I’ve noticed several problems. Have called Support several times. They said these problems are widespread and they are working on a fix.
Problems:
1. Can’t do steering wheel soft reset
2. Can’t connect to Wi-Fi
3. Charging fault where the car falsely reports that there is something wrong with my charging cable ( I have tested this at two different charging locations with same result and charging worked fine on the 85D I traded in on Friday).
4. Intermittent loss of all sound from the car including music from various sources and sound associated with turn signals.

My complaints have been “escalated” to engineering. The problem with charging seemed to get their attention since that would be a killer.

The good news is that AP works better in the new car then in my old 85D HW1 MCU1 car (and it will keep improving ). The second good news is that I’m sure they will work this MCU2 stuff out in the next days and weeks although it will probably take longer than customers want.

• Informative
Reactions: Kano and boaterva
I picked up new model S100D Friday. MCU2. Firmware 2018.10.6 b532133. I’ve noticed several problems. Have called Support several times. They said these problems are widespread and they are working on a fix.
Problems:
3. Charging fault where the car falsely reports that there is something wrong with my charging cable ( I have tested this at two different charging locations with same result and charging worked fine on the 85D I traded in on Friday).
4. Intermittent loss of all sound from the car including music from various sources and sound associated with turn signals.

My complaints have been “escalated” to engineering. The problem with charging seemed to get their attention since that would be a killer.

The good news is that AP works better in the new car then in my old 85D HW1 MCU1 car (and it will keep improving ). The second good news is that I’m sure they will work this MCU2 stuff out in the next days and weeks although it will probably take longer than customers want.
I have the new MCU. I have the same 1,2,4 issues, plus I couldn't turn on the dashboard screen twice already, called support, they said a new firmware update for the issue is already slowly getting out .
I have a service appointment tomorrow, so I will see if they get it updated tomorrow manually .

Well, when reboots didn’t work for the 2017.42 AP 2.5 bricking, they suggested it. :D And for those that can’t reboot, not many other choices, are they?

Try it yourself. The MCU comes on the same as a reboot. Looks like a reboot to me. But who knows what’s going on internally. It looks in both cases like you are pulling the power from it and restarting it. One may or may not be doing more in the sense of clearing things, you are correct there.

On the new MCU's its not a reboot.
The moment you open your door, the screen resumes exactly where you left off.
A Reboot would mean you see the tesla logo flash at start on the screen, which we dont when using that shutdown option.

So far the only real reboot i know of is what the tech agent did, and its called a hard reboot which involves pulling the battery.

Problems:

You probably cant use summon via phone App either.
You may want to check on that.

You can use summon via key fob if you disable the "while pressed" option.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
A Reboot would mean you see the tesla logo flash at start on the screen, which we dont when using that shutdown option.

So far the only real reboot i know of is what the tech agent did, and its called a hard reboot which involves pulling the battery.

Thanks for the info. If there’s really no way for the user to reboot a MCU2 car’s MCU, that is a mess. Hope that’s fixed ASAP!

Correct - No summon from app. I haven't bothered testing the fob summon.