Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi disconnect solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this is happening to many others, but my S will disconnect from WiFi every half hour or so. Usually it reconnects, but some times it just gives up. The APs at both houses are Cisco, so that may have something to do with it, but they're different generations and on different IOS releases. I've also experience the issue at my friends house with the standard Pace 5268ac AT&T uses.

The error I get on the AP is

Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid

Searching the error typically pulls up disabling Aironet extensions, but that didn't have any effect with the car.

Further sniffing reveals it's a timeout issue between the car and AP, and only occurs if there's no traffic. My solution was to run "watch -n 15 arping -I eth3.1005 10.1.5.100 -c 1" in a screen session on the router. This keeps a few packets going back and forth every 15 seconds, we have to use ARP since the car dosen't respond to normal pings. Got it to finally stay connected for more than an hour at a time, 16 hours so far.

Hopefully I'll get a firmware update soon :D

Reactions: Alset4S
I used to have problems with my MS staying connected to my WiFi. I decided to upgrade to a newer stronger router and it's now consistently stays connected. After I received an firmware update on my MS, then took it in for service and brought back a loaner. Next day my loaner received the new update as well and stays connected to WiFi.

You can see if this works for you.

I put a mobile hotspot in my car for it to always be on Wi-Fi, but it doesn’t automatically connect to it when I turn the car back on. Is this a normal problem? Would assume it’ll automatically connect to it every time rather than manually doing it

I do the same, I have a mobile hot spot when I'm away from home. However hotspots or tethering aren't as strong with the broadcast signal. I mainly use it for my Blackvue Dashcam though.

Ever since I have the new router, whenever I get into my car I see it connected to wifi.

I don't think mine is a signal strength issue - the APs are mounted in/near the garages pretty much for the car, and they're enterprise grade Cisco gear. The car stays on a guest VLAN since it doesn't support WPA2-EAP that I use for my other networks, so there's usually no other devices producing traffic. My disconnects seem to be caused by the connection idling too long. You might experience the same thing with a hotspot, but I don't know how you'd be able to generate packets to the car unless you root the hotspot or add another device on the WiFi.

Only way I’ve found to fix this is Orbi pro using the employee network (not the guest one) with no visibility into the main netwok. Something on my network if sharing with the Tesla won’t let the Tesla to connect. Which is a Tesla issue not a network issue. But until they upgrade their chip from the parrot it is a problem.

Not sure if this is happening to many others, but my S will disconnect from WiFi every half hour or so. Usually it reconnects, but some times it just gives up. The APs at both houses are Cisco, so that may have something to do with it, but they're different generations and on different IOS releases. I've also experience the issue at my friends house with the standard Pace 5268ac AT&T uses.

The error I get on the AP is

Interface Dot11Radio0, Deauthenticating Station xxxx.xxxx.xxxx Reason: Previous authentication no longer valid

Searching the error typically pulls up disabling Aironet extensions, but that didn't have any effect with the car.

Further sniffing reveals it's a timeout issue between the car and AP, and only occurs if there's no traffic. My solution was to run "watch -n 15 arping -I eth3.1005 10.1.5.100 -c 1" in a screen session on the router. This keeps a few packets going back and forth every 15 seconds, we have to use ARP since the car dosen't respond to normal pings. Got it to finally stay connected for more than an hour at a time, 16 hours so far.

Hopefully I'll get a firmware update soon :D
Not a new problem. We've all been waiting for that firmware update for years now. Your ping option may or may solve the problem permanently. Let us know after a month.
WiFi and LTE Keeps Flipping
Wifi Router chatter

I put a mobile hotspot in my car for it to always be on Wi-Fi, but it doesn’t automatically connect to it when I turn the car back on. Is this a normal problem? Would assume it’ll automatically connect to it every time rather than manually doing it
It is a "feature" Tesla introduced a few years ago, when you shift from park to gear the WiFi gets automatically disconnected. It was done for security reasons, to avoid a possible attack vector from a rough hacker.
I have a mobile hotspot in the car as well, and simply force a reconnection after I start driving.

• Helpful
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Little more digging - found a solution without the pings. Change the Activity Timeout on the AP if possible. Set it longer than Tesla's OpenVPN keepalive. The default on my APs was 60, which is too short.

For Cisco.
configure terminal
dot11 activity-timeout unknown default 600
exit
write memory

Setting isn't available in the web config that I could find.