Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WiFi issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up my new Model S this week, March 1 build. Has MCU2, etc. When I get into the car, the WiFi simply says initializing. It will do this for 15+ minutes and eventually works. But, when I try to connect to my WiFi it says it could not connect (full bars strength). I do IT infrastructure for a living and can’t figure it out. I’ve tried rebooting with the two dials, and also tried no password required.

Any ideas?

I’m on build 2018.10.2

Some people here have reported bad interactions between the Tesla and 1) Wink home control devices and 2) networked multimedia servers supporting DLNA. If you search the forums with "wink wifi" and "dlna wifi" you'll find dozens of messages about this. If you are in this situation, one solution is to try to put your car onto a different subnet, such as a "guest" network or another VLAN.

Bruce.

Some people here have reported bad interactions between the Tesla and 1) Wink home control devices and 2) networked multimedia servers supporting DLNA. If you search the forums with "wink wifi" and "dlna wifi" you'll find dozens of messages about this. If you are in this situation, one solution is to try to put your car onto a different subnet, such as a "guest" network or another VLAN.

Bruce.
Thanks for the tip unfortunately neither applies. :(

Another issue besides those Bruce mentions, is that the car is setting up a VPN to the mothership. So, if you have any sort of permanent VPN yourself set up in your router, it could break it. A VPN client on a PC for work use isn’t going to be the culprit, as that’s exactly what the car is doing. But something on the router forcing everything in the house to a VPN will likely break the car’s ability’s to connect to ‘home’.

One test is to use your mobile phone as a hot spot to create a separate wifi for the car to attach to that’s totally separate from the house network. If it connects (thus setting up its VPN to Tesla) then you know it’s something in the house wifi/network.

Another issue besides those Bruce mentions, is that the car is setting up a VPN to the mothership. So, if you have any sort of permanent VPN yourself set up in your router, it could break it. A VPN client on a PC for work use isn’t going to be the culprit, as that’s exactly what the car is doing. But something on the router forcing everything in the house to a VPN will likely break the car’s ability’s to connect to ‘home’.

One test is to use your mobile phone as a hot spot to create a separate wifi for the car to attach to that’s totally separate from the house network. If it connects (thus setting up its VPN to Tesla) then you know it’s something in the house wifi/network.
I’ll try hotspot if I can get the car to actually work again. Unfortunately it appears that WiFi no longer works at all. It constantly just says initializing no matter how long it tries. 30 minutes on my last try.

I dont have a VPN but good idea.

I’ll try hotspot if I can get the car to actually work again. Unfortunately it appears that WiFi no longer works at all. It constantly just says initializing no matter how long it tries. 30 minutes on my last try.

I dont have a VPN but good idea.
What it’s doing is setting up the VPN and it can’t. So you need to try elsewhere. On your phone’s wifi or elsewhere. Whenever it uses wifi, it tries to set up the VPN for security. On LTE it doesn’t need to do that.