Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will after market mats be necessary or will the Tesla mats be up to snuff?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At risk of Ribbings galore from all of y'all, I will have finally found a use for a three year old Christmas Present given to me from one of my childhood friends. Yes, it is tacky, but sometimes a bit of eccentricity is not so out of place - at least to the eye(s) of the beholder(s)

UM-Mats.jpg

Ok, my rep got back to me with the final word....and it's not good news. The mats that the car is coming with now are the "free" mats that everyone will get. Tesla will offer logo'd plush mats at an additional charge soon. So I guess if we don't want to wait or pay whatever "up charge" Tesla wants to offer, the existing Lloyds option will be best. I guess the only good part is that they never charged us for the crappy mats that we do get.

Will we be getting the "free" mats for the rear seating area also or only for the front?

My Lloyd's Luxe mats will be delivered today. It's a complete set, front and rear, frunk, and trunk. I'll post pictures tonight or tomorrow. I've also found a place that claims it can embroider the logo on the Luxe mats. Now that I'll have the mats I'll be able to get a definitive answer about that next week.

Ok, my rep got back to me with the final word....and it's not good news. The mats that the car is coming with now are the "free" mats that everyone will get. Tesla will offer logo'd plush mats at an additional charge soon. So I guess if we don't want to wait or pay whatever "up charge" Tesla wants to offer, the existing Lloyds option will be best. I guess the only good part is that they never charged us for the crappy mats that we do get.
These upgraded mats are an obvious candidate for "free to Signature owners". Given the grief many you have suffered through getting your "early" cars, this would be a nice gesture.

Rubber Floor Mats

Will Tesla, or someone, offer rubber floor mats for the S? In most of my cars, I remove the front carpet mats and place good looking rubber mats. This has been true of every car I have purchased since the 1980s. It just seems that with all the stuff one has to walk through in parking lots, a good looking rubber mat makes sense. I am sure they are not for everyone, but they sure are easy to keep clean and neat. My current 2011 BMW has BMW rubber mats which are custom made for the car and easy to keep clean.

Sorry - just saw this discussed here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/10190-Will-after-market-mats-be-necessary-or-will-the-Tesla-mats-be-up-to-snuff

Last edited:
Just got an e-mail from corporate saying: "Proper floor mats are coming in a month or two. Joost got great carpets specced out that are heavy weight with the Tesla logos for frunk, front, rear, and trunk
carpets. The included are temporary until then and will replaced at no cost. We also have a weather guard floor mats almost ready, waiting for the last revision and you'll be able to purchase them online"
I wish they would post stuff like this on the blog.

Let me elaborate that a bit.

I'm not talking about a big hurrah blog post telling us everything they're willing to tell us about everything that week. I'm talking about more like an RSS feed style blog (or, like, mass email to reservation holders) where little tidbits of "ok now it's ready for the public to consume" sprinkle out periodically. One of the reasons I visit TMC is to here tidbits like this, but a lot of "normal" customers don't here any word of this. I'd prefer to see it in official Tesla mail rather than via a casual post on the forum.

All that said, a hearty thanks for sharing the info!

I have nice front carpets (no Tesla logos), but was told that there are no additional carpets for the rear seats. As DrC, I was also informed that there is apparently an all-weather accessory option (which includes rear seats) that is in development (no timeline).

Yay! My first post on TMC - No more lurking! I ordered a set of Lloyd - Ultimat for the cabin area and a set of Lloyd - Classic Loops for the Frunk/Trunk (for a little durability - without rubberizing).

I tried to get creative and put a standard red band around the mats for the inside cabin, in hopes it would match the red trim of the seats of my Sig/Perf - but the red Lloyd uses is RED!!! Like a Ferrari red. I don't care for it, but I thought since I got some ideas from pics here on TMC, I'll post one for others' reference. (sorry for quality - from my phone)
Passenger.jpg

As for the trunk - it's good, but the fitment on the front half is not exact - but will do. (You can really tell at the top left; and a little off on the right)
Trunk.jpg

My trunk mat from Lloyds fits exactly the same as shown above, although it doesn't bother me much since the black mats match very closely with the black carpet in my MS. Lloyds' front interior mats are much higher quality than the standard mats included with the MS, since they are thicker and lie flat (as opposed to the standard MS mats which are difficult to uncurl since they are delivered in a tight roll).

Can some one take photos of the light tan mats against the dark flooring? How does that look, especially with tan leather?

Apologies for the poor quality and garage lighting, but here are some Lloyds Ultimats in Parchment (660). Note that this does *NOT* match the tan leather as well as the Lloyds Luxe Mats Parchment (066) does, at least according to Artsci's sample comparison. Pics of his mats can be found here, though they aren't installed yet, since he switched from Pacific Blue to 2013 Red:

Lloyd's mats have arrived: photos

If ordering Ultimats from Lloyds, call them and ask them which color is the best match for the Luxe Parchment 066. Other than the color mismatch, I am happy with these. I will be replacing them with all-weather mats as soon as they become available. Though I do like how the tan carpet mimics the two-tone aspects of the rest of the interior.

Ultimats Front 1.JPG
Ultimats Front 2.JPG
Ultimats Rear 1.JPG