Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will autopilot rewrite affect EAP and FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK anything older than HW3 isn't capable of processing all the cameras at once, so wouldn't be able to use the re-write anyway.

Which means their code base is likely done getting anything but the most needed bug fixes or improvements largely unrelated to driving behavior.

What about cars with EAP and HW3?

Until a few weeks ago those didn't exist.

Good question though, now that they do.

Tesla could either leave them on the 2.x code branch like older EAP owners, or move them to the 3.x branch when launched and disable the "extra" features.

Option 2 would obviously be better for those owners, but considerably more work/management on Teslas part and potentially raise complaints.

Overall the bringing back EAP briefly last month thing was just weird.

Oh, wait... option 3-

Tesla offers a PAID HW3 upgrade for old EAP owners to move to the 3.x code branch, but without the extra FSD features. I suppose that's a possible thing they could do.

Until a few weeks ago those didn't exist.

Good question though, now that they do.

Tesla could either leave them on the 2.x code branch like older EAP owners, or move them to the 3.x branch when launched and disable the "extra" features.

Option 2 would obviously be better for those owners, but considerably more work/management on Teslas part and potentially raise complaints.

Overall the bringing back EAP briefly last month thing was just weird.

Oh, wait... option 3-

Tesla offers a PAID HW3 upgrade for old EAP owners to move to the 3.x code branch, but without the extra FSD features. I suppose that's a possible thing they could do.

Do you know how much Tesla charges if someone wanted to upgrade to HW3? There would obviously have to be some significant improvement with EAP and not just FSD in that case.

Do you know how much Tesla charges if someone wanted to upgrade to HW3? There would obviously have to be some significant improvement with EAP and not just FSD in that case.

Currently the only way to upgrade to HW3 is buying FSD...

What I was suggesting was if there were substantive improvements possible to EAP with HW3 Tesla could offer a paid upgrade to EAP owners... as a third alternative to the other options suggested.

My expectation is the rewrite will improve the entire AP/EAP/FSD experience on HW3 Vehicles. That regardless of what package you have you'll see significant improvements.

It's going to be like that because AP/EAP are component parts of FSD.

AP is TACC + Lane Steering
EAP is AP + Auto-Lane Changes + other stuff
FSD is EAP + other stuff

Currently I find NoA almost completely unusable due to the result of everything below it not being ready for prime time.

TACC is problematic due to phantom braking events. Elon is aware of this, and from his latest tweet that claims its been fixed in the latest mass release (which it hasn't) at least tells us he's aware that owners are livid about it.

AP doesn't work because you can't be in the right lane without it recentering itself when it expands in width to accommodate a merge lane (unless you're in a state like OR which use lane markings that keeps the car from recentering into the merging lane).

Auto-lane changes don't work because the current neural network struggles with determining the exact location of the Semi-truck not in the lane next to you, but the lane over by one. So if there is a semi-truck there it often fails to auto-lane change into the middle lane.

As I understand it the rewrite requires adds the element of time, and I imagine this will substantially improve the performance of TACC all the way up to FSD. The lack of taking into account time is why so many of these things fail. They currently exist as in the moment things that only respond to what's happening that exact 1/X amount of time with no concept of what came before or what came after.

The new rewrite only works on HW3 vehicles so Tesla has the option of including it for everyone with HW3 (and just disabling EAP/FSD functions of AP only people) or they can use the existing neural network code for people with HW3, but without FSD. The problem with that is people won't move up to FSD with AP/EAP performing as badly as it currently does.

So the only option that makes since is everyone with HW3 gets the rewrite. Someone with AP that performs beautifully is much more likely to justify additional expenditure to get EAP (if available) or FSD.

The other possibility is it really won't improve anything, and AP/EAP/FSD will be just as problematic as today.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
Yesterday on AP, my model 3 bounced like a ping pong ball and disengaged in 2 to 1 merge area on the freeway.
It was right after the sun had set. But during the summer it never behaved that way during daylight at the same spot.
My hand was on the steering wheel so I grabbed it quickly but the car was zig zagging violently.

My expectation is the rewrite will improve the entire AP/EAP/FSD experience on HW3 Vehicles. That regardless of what package you have you'll see significant improvements.

It's going to be like that because AP/EAP are component parts of FSD.

AP is TACC + Lane Steering
EAP is AP + Auto-Lane Changes + other stuff
FSD is EAP + other stuff

Currently I find NoA almost completely unusable due to the result of everything below it not being ready for prime time.

TACC is problematic due to phantom braking events. Elon is aware of this, and from his latest tweet that claims its been fixed in the latest mass release (which it hasn't) at least tells us he's aware that owners are livid about it.

AP doesn't work because you can't be in the right lane without it recentering itself when it expands in width to accommodate a merge lane (unless you're in a state like OR which use lane markings that keeps the car from recentering into the merging lane).

Auto-lane changes don't work because the current neural network struggles with determining the exact location of the Semi-truck not in the lane next to you, but the lane over by one. So if there is a semi-truck there it often fails to auto-lane change into the middle lane.

As I understand it the rewrite requires adds the element of time, and I imagine this will substantially improve the performance of TACC all the way up to FSD. The lack of taking into account time is why so many of these things fail. They currently exist as in the moment things that only respond to what's happening that exact 1/X amount of time with no concept of what came before or what came after.

The new rewrite only works on HW3 vehicles so Tesla has the option of including it for everyone with HW3 (and just disabling EAP/FSD functions of AP only people) or they can use the existing neural network code for people with HW3, but without FSD. The problem with that is people won't move up to FSD with AP/EAP performing as badly as it currently does.

So the only option that makes since is everyone with HW3 gets the rewrite. Someone with AP that performs beautifully is much more likely to justify additional expenditure to get EAP (if available) or FSD.

The other possibility is it really won't improve anything, and AP/EAP/FSD will be just as problematic as today.

Appreciate your thoughtful and thorough response (agree with all the limitations you laid out).

But the bottom line answer looks like only HW3 will get the rewrite and hence only owners with FSD based on your assessment as nobody has HW3 except FSD owners.

Appreciate your thoughtful and thorough response (agree with all the limitations you laid out).

But the bottom line answer looks like only HW3 will get the rewrite and hence only owners with FSD based on your assessment as nobody has HW3 except FSD owners.

errrr... nearly everyone whose Tesla was built in the last ~18 months has HW3, regardless of having purchased FSD or not.

(Elon claimed all cars built after April 22nd 2019, but there's been occasional batches for whom that wasn't true last year)

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS