Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will creep keep car from rolling backward on steep hills?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd very much like this feature as well. It could be as simple as when Hold is released by the accelerator, the car won't roll backwards. Personally, I'd like it to never roll backwards in D, but that could be an option.

The reason people could drive on steep hills with manual transmissions is that they could use the emergency brake as a smart hold and/or slip the clutch. I still occasionally use the emergency brake in my other car. Then, of course, there were handbrake turns! :D

This thread may seem silly to some but I've experienced this phenomenon as well. I was on a very steep hill and I needed to back up a little, but not too much or I'd hit something behind me. It was trickier than I expected.

If I gave just a little throttle the hill hold would disable and I would immediately roll forward. I had to quickly stab at the accelerator, guessing the right amount of throttle that would a) overcome rolling forward while b) not launching me into the car behind me. You can't roll onto the accelerator to slowly find that sweet spot.

And using two feet didn't work either because the car just yells at you. A traditional automatic transmission would have no issues in this situation.
Totally agree with this.
At least in an ICE manual transmission car, I could use one of my free hands to use the parking emergency brakes to help hold the car while I find the right level of accelerator pedal modulation.

Reactions: insaneoctane
It's nice to see some nice open discussion on creep vs no creep and when it's helpful. Rather than the, your nuts if you use creep.

I have a cabin on a fairly steep gravel road hill that I used to always take my 4x4 Jeep GC to. There is no room to turn around in my driveway either. Sometimes I go up the hill turn around in someone else's driveway come down half way and back up the hill into my driveway. My driveway itself is flat, thank goodness. Sometimes I drive in and have to back out of the driveway and down the hill. This is not an easy spot to deal with. And if you miss my driveway (not impossible when covered in ice) you either hit a big rock or drive over a small cliff. It's a lot of fun when it's all covered in ice and packed snow and half plowed at 1AM. This is why AWD and snows are mandatory.

I have creep on (and chill too). I switch back and forth between the Model 3 and the Jeep GC. Thinking about it now, the Model 3 handles it EXACTLY the same as the Jeep. It never even dawned on me that it needs to be handled any differently. An Automatic ICE won't hold on a Steep hill either. But it gives you time to gracefully switch pedals.

I was at a cemetery just last evening helping my wife put flowers on relatives gravestones for Memorial day. It's very hilly, narrow, winding car paths. I was backing up a hill while doing a 3 point turn. Totally painless. In fact, part of the reason I was there was my wife refused to take the Jeep there on her own because she was nervous of turning around on the narrow steep hill.

Yes, creep does emulate an Automatic. Sometimes that's a very good thing to emulate.

There's also throttle lag. Why in earth would you drive in chill mode? It's awful - even when you're driving gently.

I am always in chill. There is no added lag. It just changes the curve. It may feel like lag due to lack of neck snap.

Why on earth would you not use Chill?

For day to day driving it is PLENTY fast. You've conditioned yourself into thinking anything less than a neck snap is slow.
Chill is still faster than any car I've owned and many cars on the road.

Saves on tearing up your tires, better wh/mi (by conditioning you to not neck snap).

It's kind of like sex. The longer you wait the better it is. But if you like to do it every chance you get that's your business.

I think a key difference here is that Tesla can offer a solution with SOFTWARE.
They could add a "anti-roll hill parking mode" button that just monitors if the vehicle rolls in the opposite direction of the transmission and immediately apply either A) Hold (which is the e-brake I believe), B) Minimum motor torque to stop motion, or C) Brakes. Unlike all the ICE vehicles out there, Tesla can add this "feature" to all their cars with the flip of a bit. I'd prefer B personally, but I'd love this feature!

This is really a topic? It sounds more like an episode of Seinfeld. Either turn creep off and use HOLD or use the pedal to left of the accelerator. I'm assuming you found that pedal, correct?
Yes, it's really a topic, but you'd have to read 3 pages to understand why. Your suggestion is overly simple and wouldn't solve this.

I think a key difference here is that Tesla can offer a solution with SOFTWARE.
They could add a "anti-roll hill parking mode" button that just monitors if the vehicle rolls in the opposite direction of the transmission and immediately apply either A) Hold (which is the e-brake I believe), B) Minimum motor torque to stop motion, or C) Brakes. Unlike all the ICE vehicles out there, Tesla can add this "feature" to all their cars with the flip of a bit. I'd prefer B personally, but I'd love this feature!

Yes they could. And it could apply to creep on or off. But they have not so we have to pick.

if the vehicle rolls in the opposite direction of the transmission and immediately apply either A) Hold (which is the e-brake I believe), B) Minimum motor torque to stop motion, or C) Brakes. Unlike all the ICE vehicles out there, Tesla can add this "feature" to all their cars with the flip of a bit. I'd prefer B personally, but I'd love this feature!

Hold is just the regular brakes, not the e-brake. If they use the motors to hold the car in position, it's going to create an immense amount of heat, so that's not likely a good idea. The solution is to apply the brakes, which is what HOLD already does. But adding an automatic hold mode when the car detects it's on a steep hill wouldn't be a bad idea! They already have anti-roll-away mode if you're not in Park and the door is open.