Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will I regret not getting a P3D-?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Test drove one today and pretty much set on getting a model 3 LR with AWD. Have been driving "comfy" luxury sedans for the past several years. Been reading all the excitement here on the P3-, but don't know if going from 0-60 a second faster makes a difference to me. Certainly not planning on taking it to the track. The showroom advisor said the performance upgrade is $2K difference and showed me several available in stock. $2K is not that much difference on a ~$50K car, but in my situation, would I be better off spending it on a wrap, tinting, etc? Or will I regret not going for the P upgrade?

At 2k, it would be a definite buy for me. I have the LR AWD and I do kinda regret not buying the Performance. I would love to have a car that can achieve near-1G accelerations.

But that might also be because I tend to drive more aggressively in my Tesla. I floor it at most green lights with straights.

One point you may not be considering is the additional resale value of the Stealth version over the AWD especially if they end up being limited in production.

If you don’t believe that’s true just check how many people with AWD are trying to petition Tesla to add this performance to their existing cars for the $2k difference.

You don’t have to use the additional speed but it’s really nice when you need it.

Reactions: jebinc and Perry
Test drove one today and pretty much set on getting a model 3 LR with AWD. Have been driving "comfy" luxury sedans for the past several years. Been reading all the excitement here on the P3-, but don't know if going from 0-60 a second faster makes a difference to me. Certainly not planning on taking it to the track. The showroom advisor said the performance upgrade is $2K difference and showed me several available in stock. $2K is not that much difference on a ~$50K car, but in my situation, would I be better off spending it on a wrap, tinting, etc? Or will I regret not going for the P upgrade?
Considering those of us who bought in 2018 spent 11K for that little extra performance and still don't regret it, 2k is a no-brainier. Do it otherwise you'll will regret it. Forget the wrap. These are disposable cars. Although the skate (power train, suspension, battery) are awesome everything above that I don't consider luxury by any means so it's not worth protecting a junky rattle-box. Get the speed and beat the hell out of it until the next faster and better car comes along.

Last edited:
Only you can decide that, but for me it's one of the biggest no brainers of my entire car buying life. I bought a MR car earlier this year and the second I read the P3D- was a thing, I left work early and went to the Tesla store and reserved one. Not joking at all. It's the best value in the automotive world, so IMO yes you would absolutely regret not ponying up an extra $2k for supercar levels of performance.

If you are having to think about whether it will be a regret, then take that out of the equation and get it. For 2k it really is a no brainer. Do you realize how much “tuners” would pay to take 1 second off their 0-60? I’m willing to bet it’s a lot more than 2k.

Many will say you won’t use it in practical driving, and if that’s your driving style that might be true. But having the ability to tap that power on demand, anytime, ALL THE TIME is something you won’t regret. When I let people test the car out they are amazed at the performance.

You can chrome delete or PPF anytime, but you won’t be able to get that extra power anytime you want (at least right now) and likely not for 2k.

Op the one option that tends to actually be worth something on cars is the 'engine upgrade". in most cars the 6 cylinder version of a car is worth more than the 4 cylinder version. Pretty much every other option devalues to close to nothing, or in most cases actually zero additional worth.

For a 2k difference its absolutely worth it, even if you never plan on taking it to the track. Tint / Wrap etc is all nice stuff for the owner, but is worth zero when you go to sell it. I am not one that thinks someone should purchase car options based on when you are going to sell it, but for that little of a difference, it really is pretty much a no brainer since it will be desirable to anyone later, and provides function you may not know you want now.

In regular cars, things like tint / wrap / navigation / etc options are worth very little to almost nothing, on 3+ year old cars. People post their cars here for sale and try to get some value for the money they spent on those things, and basically get laughed off the boards (which is rude but still...)

The "faster engine" and the "bigger battery" are the two options on a tesla that are going to be worth something. People will almost assuredly pay more for a car that has more range left than another car that has less... even if they never see themselves using that range. Similarly, people will pay more for a faster car.

Reactions: OCR1
Definitely get the performance edition. Good Lord, what's another $2K when you're already spending $43K-ish? I just took delivery of my white on white performance edition and I love the car. The brute force of the dual motors pulling my back and head back in to my seat is breathtaking every single time. I love knowing I can probably outrun 99% of all cars that I see on a daily basis from 0-60. That feature alone makes spending the extra $2K worth every penny!

You’ll find that you don’t even need to go above the speed limits to appreciate the additional power. It’s very convenient to have the ability to quickly accelerate up to the speed limit from a stop light etc.

Hell no you won't.
The"basic" beats most everything else on the road.
The times that you really use that extra second is on the track.
You essentially never floor the pedal in normal driving

Hell yes I do.

I would pay more to rent a performance UHaul if it was offered.

You’re “that guy” that makes me shake my head when I see a Civic SI burn them.

That second matters when a M3 or Corvette pulls up to me.

Pretty sweet to change 4 lanes in an 1/8th of a mile from a stop light and take the exit before the car on the right can do a full revolution on their tires.

Last edited:
You’ll find that you don’t even need to go above the speed limits to appreciate the additional power. It’s very convenient to have the ability to quickly accelerate up to the speed limit from a stop light etc.

In my town:

6 seconds flooring an SR means hitting the speed limit.

6 seconds flooring a 3P is jail, loss of license and being uninsurable.

At speed, can’t tell much between the cars but getting up to speed is two different cars.

Last edited: