Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade from 2018 M3 to 2023 M3P now that I can transfer FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 M3 AWD with 50k miles that I have been generally happy with. It has a few rattles, road noise is a little high, old interior console, and had to put after market power trunk and wireless phone chargers in. I also have had a couple of non-warranty repairs. I have a lingering concern that there might be more coming since the 2018s were the first ones and stuff will break. Also will need new tires in a few months.

Have thought about upgrading in the past but not being able to transfer FSD was always a deal killer. My plan was just to keep using this car for a few more years and then give it to my daughter as a college car and buy a new one then.

My wife has a Model Y but I like the sedan shape better.

With Elon’s “one time offer” this quarter, I could:

- Order a inventory 2023 Performance M3 for 51k. Obviously don’t need the performance upgrade but it feels like a nice to have to make the car a little more “different” from the last one.
- Minus $7500 tax rebate
- Minus $500 referral discount
- Carvana offering me $26k for my car
- transfer FSD to new car before selling to carvana

I would end up with $17000 cost to upgrade to a new car.

- new warranty
- upgrade to performance
- new interior, hopefully no rattles etc
- hw4 for fsd, added reassurance of staying tech current

Downsides I can think of:

- highland coming out probably next quarter, will I have buyers remorse from being one of the last buyers of the old m3
- will it being an “old model” accelerate depreciation on the car
- sales taxes. Need to figure out if it makes sense to trade in to tesla instead of selling to carvana to lower tax bill here in Florida

Can you guys think of anything else I need to consider before I decide whether to pull the trigger?

- new warranty
- upgrade to performance

Im not following this closely at all, but I dont know if HW4 is in model 3s yet (perhaps it is). The answer to this question, to me, is always the same.

Examine this list above, that you have " New warranty, Faster 0-60, possibly no rattles (thats not a given) and HW4 (thats not a given either). Would you write a check for 17k if tesla told you "We can refresh your warranty, install hardware 4, and have go over your car with sound deadening material to reduce rattles, but it will cost you a check for 17k to us".

If that sounds like $17,000 of value to you, then you have your answer. If it doesnt, then again, you have your answer. The answer may be different for different people, and frankly, I am not advocating for one or the other, as I dont really "get" going to the internet for "should I spend this money" advice.

I am just saying that, put your list of stuff together, and how much its going to cost, and ask yourself, would I write a check for this amount tomorrow if I could put those things in my current car.

Im not following this closely at all, but I dont know if HW4 is in model 3s yet (perhaps it is). The answer to this question, to me, is always the same.

Examine this list above, that you have " New warranty, Faster 0-60, possibly no rattles (thats not a given) and HW4 (thats not a given either). Would you write a check for 17k if tesla told you "We can refresh your warranty, install hardware 4, and have go over your car with sound deadening material to reduce rattles, but it will cost you a check for 17k to us".

If that sounds like $17,000 of value to you, then you have your answer. If it doesnt, then again, you have your answer. The answer may be different for different people, and frankly, I am not advocating for one or the other, as I dont really "get" going to the internet for "should I spend this money" advice.

I am just saying that, put your list of stuff together, and how much its going to cost, and ask yourself, would I write a check for this amount tomorrow if I could put those things in my current car.
I understand and agree with what you are saying. Everyone values money differently. My main point was whether I was forgetting any other factors in the equation and to see how other people are thinking about it. Thanks.

Don’t worry, I’ll spend your money and tell you want to do. First, I do think they should make FSD transferrable more than 1 time. It seems like they’re doing this to offload some inventory.

When highland comes out shortly, the current 3s will take another hit in value, at least in the short term. They’ve already paused production at Fremont to retool. So by waiting a day or a month (whenever its released) you could have the new stuff (hw4, ventilated seats?, etc). Or pick up an even more discounted ’23. Conclusion: It sounds like you can wait, so wait.

Don’t worry, I’ll spend your money and tell you want to do. First, I do think they should make FSD transferrable more than 1 time. It seems like they’re doing this to offload some inventory.

When highland comes out shortly, the current 3s will take another hit in value, at least in the short term. They’ve already paused production at Fremont to retool. So by waiting a day or a month (whenever its released) you could have the new stuff (hw4, ventilated seats?, etc). Or pick up an even more discounted ’23. Conclusion: It sounds like you can wait, so wait.
yes, sorry, i should have been more clear, i am not going to buy one today, just some time this quarter to take advantage of the fsd transfer. ideally the highlands get delivered this q but i’m not sure about that…

I personally don't think Elon's "one time FSD" free transfer deal, it a deal. He didn't give us enough time and it was clearly a move just to clear out inventory prior to the new redesign, those tactics rub me the wrong way. Plus I don't want to give up the ultra sonic sensors, the passenger lumbar support, my Acceleration Boost upgrade and red UV glass roof coating. And yes, I know I'd get an auto trunk, external speaker, more range and most likely better hardware like cameras, computers, Lithium Ion 12volt battery and a new car warranty. But I don't want to buy the Acceleration Boost all over again and really am hoping there will be a free (or with a small fee), FSD transfer down the road for a HW4 cars with new redesigned exterior/interior. But the biggest factor for me is that I don't want a car payment just yet again, which comes with a higher insurance rate and DMV fee.

Are they still selling the stealth performance? My only concern would be those big wheels and pot holes. Otherwise 17k is a deal in my opinion. You’d lose 15k if you waited for the redesign 3. So you’d pay 32k if you wanted the new looks.

On the surface for me it is a no-brainer assuming you really value FSD, I'd do it for sure. With the newer model 2023, you get the heat pump which is a nice plus and more efficient all around. Dump the Ubers and you'll be happier I think.

The only question for me is timing. If you wait until the Highland model is out, the resale value of your car is going to drop more as well. I'd wait until the last moment to trade and see if it is worth getting the Highland version. There might be some overlap where the FSD trade-in is still in effect and you can score the new version. I think Tesla might work to minimize that chance but you never know.

If Highland wasn't right around the corner, I in general wait until later in the quarter to see if Tesla ups their sales incentives even more. With Highland imminent, you might even see more aggressive discounting to clear out current inventory. In general, I think it will be a buyer's market for anyone wanting a current gen 3. The downside is your trade will take a hit but giving the higher price of the new one, you may not be impacted as much, but there will likely be one.

I am in almost the exact same situation and am very close to pulling the trigger on an inventory discounted Model 3 Performance.

The carvana option as apposed to trade in would certainly make transferring over suspension, brakes, wheels easier.

I am wondering if discounts will deepen as the end of the quarter looms but I don't want to miss this opportunity to get track mode and a not white car.

Reactions: GSP and DocHolliday
It's so cute that many of you believe the Highland will be out in time for people to take advantage of the free FSD transfer. It won't be. This a move by Tesla (Elon), to prevent the Osborne effect and having to discount the current inventory even lower to sell them.

Reactions: GSP
I have a 2018 M3 AWD with 50k miles that I have been generally happy with. It has a few rattles, road noise is a little high, old interior console, and had to put after market power trunk and wireless phone chargers in. I also have had a couple of non-warranty repairs. I have a lingering concern that there might be more coming since the 2018s were the first ones and stuff will break. Also will need new tires in a few months.

Have thought about upgrading in the past but not being able to transfer FSD was always a deal killer. My plan was just to keep using this car for a few more years and then give it to my daughter as a college car and buy a new one then.

- Order a inventory 2023 Performance M3 for 51k. Obviously don’t need the performance upgrade but it feels like a nice to have to make the car a little more “different” from the last one.
- Minus $7500 tax rebate

- new warranty
- upgrade to performance

- highland coming out probably next quarter, will I have buyers remorse from being one of the last buyers of the old m3
- sales taxes. Need to figure out if it makes sense to trade in to tesla instead of selling to carvana to lower tax bill here in Florida

Can you guys think of anything else I need to consider before I decide whether to pull the trigger?
I am trading in my 2019 M3 for 2023 MY and made a list exactly like yours. I also was thinking that the MY Juniper maybe out in a year and was thinking about waiting. But then I think even if it was coming out this week, I don't want the first run and would want to wait a year or two. So for me, I'm taking the plunge now and figure in 3-5 years I could trade this one in for whatever is new and available and who knows, maybe it won't be a Tesla. Also, with everything Tesla, who knows when the Highland or Juniper will be out. They could unveil the highland next week and take a year to get them into customers hands.

But some pluses for me from going 2019 M3 to 2023 MY (some will be avail in 2023 M3):
Better Suspension
Heated steering wheel
Power Lift gate
Boombox, which I played with on my demo ride and man that is fun and useful for tailgating. Also backup noise which I almost killed someone cause they could not hear me.
Higher up
More room
I haven't spent a dime on tires and I know thats coming soon, so avoiding that cost. Plus any other maintenance needs which has been zero but theres going to be some at some point.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Deaf Paul

- Minus $7500 tax rebate

- new warranty
- upgrade to performance

Does your current car have unlimited premium internet? My 2018 M3P does. Also if you use Homelink, you’ll have to purchase that separately on the new car.

Reactions: T3M3T
I just picked up a used LR Model Y a couple of weeks ago, but was really tempted by the used M3Ps. In mid-July, I saw a couple for around $38k but now, they're under $34k. Can't believe how much of a deal these are:

Screen Shot 2023-08-04 at 5.22.38 PM.png

Reactions: Deaf Paul
I would not assume that the 2023 is any better quality than the 2018. Our 2022 M3 is crap compared to real manufacturers like Audi, BMW, MB or Volvo. Fair comparisons are Toyota, Nissan, Kia etc. Tesla makes a great battery and drivetrain, body assembly (endless rattles) & ride quality (mainly noice levels) is far subpar still.

Different question: what does FSD do in the 2023 that it doesn’t do in your 2018? I’d suggest nothing. If that’s the case for you too, then the FSD transfer is a red herring in your case. Get the newer car for the “P,” not the nerfed FSD.
Better camera's and faster processors will make it better all around. Plus, the newer cars have features the older cars don't have. And yes, the older cars have some hardware the newer cars don't have.

I'm in the process of rethinking my decision to not jump on this free FSD transfer thing. I'd like to upgrade my 2018 AWD LR Model 3 with HW3, the Acceleration Boost and FSD to a AWD LR Model Y with HW4. But having to pay for the Acceleration Boost all over again is not something that makes me happy. Nor do I like the idea of having to pay extra for the mobile connector, which was included with my Model 3. But I think the Model Y is better for me as it will make getting in and out much easier and has more room. But now I see that Tesla is charging a $250 non refundable order fee. Does that fee get subtracted from the price if the order goes through?

Reactions: GSP
Buy the MYP as it makes more sense than the MY LR and adding boost. For sure you will get the matrix headlights. Seems a bit hit more miss on the LR's, the rear spoiler and then dump the Uber 21's for something better. WIth the P version, it will be about as quick as your M3 LR w/boost. I find the MY LR, even with boost, a bit doggy and slow. I don't think you'd be happy coming from what you have if you enjoy the acceleration.

Keep in mind how bad the TV version of USS to keep your expectations in check as well. Also keep your current mobile connector, you don't need to sell it with the car. TBH, I never used mine and bought something better that supports 40A off a NEMA 14-50 and just an adaptor for when I am away from my wall connector at home.

In your case it makes a lot of sense to upgrade if you can get a decent price out of your current ride.

Better camera's and faster processors will make it better all around. Plus, the newer cars have features the older cars don't have. And yes, the older cars have some hardware the newer cars don't have.

I'm in the process of rethinking my decision to not jump on this free FSD transfer thing. I'd like to upgrade my 2018 AWD LR Model 3 with HW3, the Acceleration Boost and FSD to a AWD LR Model Y with HW4. But having to pay for the Acceleration Boost all over again is not something that makes me happy. Nor do I like the idea of having to pay extra for the mobile connector, which was included with my Model 3. But I think the Model Y is better for me as it will make getting in and out much easier and has more room. But now I see that Tesla is charging a $250 non refundable order fee. Does that fee get subtracted from the price if the order goes through?
Don’t pay extra for the new mobile connector…. Keep the one you have.