Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will LR RWD make a comeback when the SR is released?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are the chances that the RWD LR Model 3 makes a comeback to help fill out the price range?

I'd personally like to see a Performance RWD option that keeps the RWD's maximum highway range efficiency but boosts the motor's performance and off the line acceleration.

Yes! I'm really hoping for a paid unlocking of the LR RWD to a "performance" configuration that unlocks the full power and makes it faster off the line since it currently launches soft. I'm thinking that 0-60 in the 4.2 range should be possible.

For $2,000 per unlocking Tesla would probably be able to make $20,000,000 in instant profit if they wanted it.

Maybe they are saving this for a future quarter when they need the cash flow?

Reactions: Drax
I suspect that the LR RWD will come back, but it won't be when the SR is introduced, it will be a number of months afterwards, as the production becomes unconstrained. As long as they can quickly sell every car off of the line, there is no pressure to have options. That's exactly what happened with the LR in the first place.

What are the chances that the RWD LR Model 3 makes a comeback to help fill out the price range?

I'd personally like to see a Performance RWD option that keeps the RWD's maximum highway range efficiency but boosts the motor's performance and off the line acceleration.

I don't believe so. Here is why:

The LR RWD essentially kills both the Model X 75 and the Model S 75. Here is a link to the range chart for all Tesla models:

!! Tesla Range Chart Based on Model, Battery, Wheels and MPH !! (from Model 3 Owners Club) • r/teslamotors

I feel like Telsa wants to force buyers to go with the LR AWD to keep the average sales price high.

I feel like there is more value is Tesla moving the 2170 batteries over to the Model X and Model S. It is clear that Tesla will need to improve the Model X/S in 2019 in terms of range and an interior refresh.

After years and years of tinkering with multiple battery configurations, Tesla has arrived at EXACTLY 2 battery configurations for the model S and model XS. This is the 75 and the 100 battery pack. Why would they go to 3 totally different battery packs in the Model 3? This most certainly requires a code fork in the battery management software and probably code forks in other systems like charging and motor controls.

Now it is possible Tesla will discontinue the mid range battery pack and have the SR RWD and LR RWD cars going forward. But remember, the model S is no longer available in RWD only. The Model S is AWD only. Tesla has no reason to re-relase the LR RWD configuration. I suspect you will end up with 1) SR RWD 2) Long Range AWD. Doubtful that you will ever see a SR with a dual motor option. Seems like Dual Motor will be LR AWD only.

To be honest, Tesla has designed and engineered virtually the best car ever produced and it should be priced accordingly. You want a budget EV there is always the Volt, Bolt, i3 and others. Premium products do command premium prices.

That's my $.02

• Love
Reactions: andifu and AZRI11