Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 owners tolerate the $175/hr shop rate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been shocked to note the hourly rate for my Model S repairs is $175/hr here in Texas. I knew repairs would be expensive on a premium level vehicle and I recognize it is a specialized vehicle that the corner shop mechanic cannot repair but this is 2x the rate of the average mechanic.

Will people purchasing a sub $40,000 vehicle tolerate paying twice the normal rate for repairs? Will competition shops appear? It just seems like a point of contention as warranties start to expire in the coming years and the sticker shock of double repair rates kicks in.

Reactions: CTreast
Replacing drive unit, replacing main computer cluster & instrument cluster, replacing an air bag sensor: these were all under warranty so no sticker shock.

fixing a leak in the headliner- $1000
Fixing bugs in tail lights- $938 (I haven't done this probably going to do it myself)- they basically want to just replace both lights and the chrome piece which seems excessive.

I don't know of any non-Tesla shops that will touch the car at this point. I am hoping that will change!

Isn't this what warranties are for? FREE repairs?

I've been fixing my own cars for many years, I don't want to do it anymore, but if the alternative is $175 an hour, I'll be out in the garage on the weekend with the Model 3 partly disassembled, doing it myself for FREE.

Airbag sensor, leak in the headliner, and replacing taillights are things that anybody should be able to do and which there shouldn't be any hesitation about. Sensors are easy to replace; leak patching is just remove trim/find leak/seal leak/replace trim; and taillights are easy to replace. Electronics can be trickier, and I can understand why they'd be hesitant about the drive unit.

Seriously, though, if you can't find shops willing to do the above three things in your area, there's something wrong with them.

Isn't this what warranties are for? FREE repairs?

I've been fixing my own cars for many years, I don't want to do it anymore, but if the alternative is $175 an hour, I'll be out in the garage on the weekend with the Model 3 partly disassembled, doing it myself for FREE.

There's no such thing as free time, if you factor in opportunity cost of time spent diy'ing ;)

OP was probably arguing that if the opportunity cost of the onwer of a not so expensive car is lower, in general, those Tesla service prices sure will seem hefty. Well, eh, they're hefty for lots of us ;)

There's no such thing as free time, if you factor in opportunity cost of time spent diy'ing ;)

OP was probably arguing that if the opportunity cost of the onwer of a not so expensive car is lower, in general, those Tesla service prices sure will seem hefty. Well, eh, they're hefty for lots of us ;)
if the costs associated with owning the car is "too hefty" for you maybe the car isn't for you.