Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Model 3 Red be the MS Multi Coat?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at the prototype the M3 red looks more like my friend's Mazda 6's Red, I do like it, but it doesn't seem to match the Model S MultiCoat Red. Is it the same, or am I getting faked out?
Mod, can you edit the thread title I really botched it.

I hope they have MCR and a tan interior. That is what I ordered on my S and pretty much what I've ordered on many other cars. It seems I am fond of the combination. If I have the option I'll probably choose it for both the 3's I have reserved.

I thought I'd read somewhere (and just spent way too much time trying to find that "somewhere," to no avail) that the red prototype had some crazy number/combination of paint-coats applied, which made it seem unlikely that it would make it to production. That said, I'd pick it in a heartbeat if it were available.

Looking at the prototype the M3 red looks more like my friend's Mazda 6's Red, I do like it, but it doesn't seem to match the Model S MultiCoat Red. Is it the same, or am I getting faked out?
Mod, can you edit the thread title I really botched it.

The only thing anyone outside of Tesla knows about M3 paint is that there won't be a Sig Red, because there won't be any Sig M3s.

The likelihood is that M3 will have the same color choices as MS and MX, since they will all pass through the same (newly expanded) paint shop. It makes sense that there could be some new colors introduced (or re-introduced), since much higher production volume and more paint stations in the shop might support some more colors.

Reactions: Model 3
The only thing anyone outside of Tesla knows about M3 paint is that there won't be a Sig Red, because there won't be any Sig M3s.

I recall Elon said there would be no Signature M3's, but did he say they would be no Signature Red paint offering?:(
If they want to call it some other name, that's cool, but I still want that color on my car.

P.S. I agree that the "Reveal M3 Mockup" red looked different that Model S "Multicoat Red".

I recall Elon said there would be no Signature M3's, but did he say they would be no Signature Red paint offering?:(
If they want to call it some other name, that's cool, but I still want that color on my car.

P.S. I agree that the "Reveal M3 Mockup" red looked different that Model S "Multicoat Red".
How about LS Red (Line Stander's)? :D

Reactions: cdub
Having been lucky enough to see the red Model 3 mule in person at the March 31 reveal event last year, I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that it is NOT the same multi-coat red Tesla offers on S and X now. The mule's red had a very orange tint to it -- at least under the artificial nighttime lighting from the event.

I also concur with folks in this thread that, given Tesla's penchant for efficiency wherever possible, Model 3 is likely to have the same color options as S and X now, with the possibility that more will be added. But hopefully that means MC Red will be an option on 3, because I want it. :D

Reactions: mdevp
Having been lucky enough to see the red Model 3 mule in person at the March 31 reveal event last year, I can tell you with 99.9% certainty that it is NOT the same multi-coat red Tesla offers on S and X now. The mule's red had a very orange tint to it -- at least under the artificial nighttime lighting from the event.
Yes, I had a friend attend the unveil as well and he said exactly the same thing. Actually he was with me and we parked next to a brand new Mazda 6 in its Red and he said the M3 red was almost the same as the Mazda's, but a deeper, richer red. He described the M3 red as a deep ruby red, which I like very much. Reminds me of that Dodge Viper red which is a super expensive paint option.