Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will not save any money on "fuel" with PG&E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bear in mind that, with most TOU rates, when you switch from non-TOU to TOU your off peak rates go down, but your rates for peak use go up. So savings on offpeak charging will be somewhat offset by increased charges for existing electric uses in the home.

That's why its good to put your EV circuit on a second meter. That's what I have done. My house rates are not effected by EV-TOU rates.

Just ran some numbers through the PG&E EV cost calculator here:
PEV Calculator
They don't have a Model 3 as a choice for a vehicle yet, so I selected a rare Model S40. The results? Using their TOD EV-A plan I saved $76 per month, a 38 year payback (if I wanted/expected the Model 3 to pay for itself, which I don't).
By contrast, the Gen1 Prius we bought in 2002 really did pay for itself in fuel savings alone in a bit over 6 years.
So as the elderly Mel Brooks once said to someone in the audience who yelled, "Boxers or briefs?"
"Depends."
Robin

• Funny
Reactions: EinSV
Just ran some numbers through the PG&E EV cost calculator here:
PEV Calculator
They don't have a Model 3 as a choice for a vehicle yet, so I selected a rare Model S40. The results? Using their TOD EV-A plan I saved $76 per month, a 38 year payback (if I wanted/expected the Model 3 to pay for itself, which I don't).
By contrast, the Gen1 Prius we bought in 2002 really did pay for itself in fuel savings alone in a bit over 6 years.
So as the elderly Mel Brooks once said to someone in the audience who yelled, "Boxers or briefs?"
"Depends."
Robin

Wow... You must drive a lot.

Side note: The PG&E calculator by default assumes gas costs $4.25/gal and your existing car gets 27 mpg (ie, much less than prius milage)

We have the EV A plan and while it can reduce electricity bills even with an EV, it can also have some very adverse consequences in the summer, when A/C use is high. For about half the year, our electricity bill is WAY higher than the combined electricity bill + gasoline costs with an ICE.
That hasn't been my experience. EV-A time of use plan with PG&E not only includes a lower overnight rate, but it gets you out of tier usage. With even a moderate sized home, you are in tier 3 rates before a summer month is half over, where you then pay triple or more the base rate. With a big home and a pool, just getting out of the tiers saves me a ton of money.

I ended up doing solar after getting my car, but in hindsight that money might have been better spent on Tesla Powerwalls. With the EV-A plan you can charge the Powerwalls at night at $.12/kw and then power your house during peak periods with the Powerwalls. Should keep costs WAY down.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
yes, i had been idly thinking about powerwalls but with PV solar it does not make sense economically. to me, these rates are all entirely fictional and so when PGE finds out you're not paying them as much anymore they'll probably run to the CPUC to make sure that load-shifting customers get to pay more.

the EVA plan with no tiers is huge... i fully expect it to go away at some point. based on my own calculations and PGE's calculators, they are leaving between $500 and $700 on the table every year and i don't see why they would let that continue to happen.

Yup, I fully see them pulling EVA rate soon too, which is why I jumped on it. Even prior to having an EV it saved me over 1100 a year switching to EVA.. don't ask how, but now I have a MS so all is good ;). The powerwall loadshift is huge, with EVA rate you don't even need solar to make your PGE bill go away completely if you bought enough powerwalls. I've heard that installers are gauging though.. so hopefully installation pricing levels out a bit.

Bear in mind that, with most TOU rates, when you switch from non-TOU to TOU your off peak rates go down, but your rates for peak use go up. So savings on offpeak charging will be somewhat offset by increased charges for existing electric uses in the home.
Which is why installing a solar PV system is so great. I am on the PG&E EV rate plan (so TOU) and my monthly electric bill is about $10.

That hasn't been my experience. EV-A time of use plan with PG&E not only includes a lower overnight rate, but it gets you out of tier usage. With even a moderate sized home, you are in tier 3 rates before a summer month is half over, where you then pay triple or more the base rate. With a big home and a pool, just getting out of the tiers saves me a ton of money.

Depends on how hot it is where you live. We have A/C on for most of the summer and pay the highest rates for most of the time.

I'm not sure if I will save money either. I'm paying 40 cents a kWH according to SDG&E. I already have solar (so it's that rate plus my monthly loan of about $240. This last month I paid about $400 towards power and I'm sure charging a car isn't going to help. We do not have gas available so everything we have is electric, water heater, stove, oven, dryer etc.

I'm starting to think getting an EV will be a bad idea. I can't compare rates because I can't find the "calculator" they mention here. I don't think it exists.
EV Rates | San Diego Gas & Electric

They do offer several plans including TOU Time of use for solar customers that says it would save me money (But I don't know as there's no information on their site about hours rates etc)except for ev, but of course no calculator.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
I live in a California city with its own publicly owned utility. We are charged $0.15/kWh flat rate with no time of use or tiered rates. Our power is 40% natural gas, with the remainder mostly wind and hydro, but we personally have a solar system which accounts for 100% of our net household use. With a Model 3 of course that will change. However, our utility offers a credit of $1000 for each plug-in vehicle purchased, up to two. That amounts to perhaps 25K free miles for plug-in energy for the EV. After that is used up we will probably add solar panels to take up the excess for EV charging.

We also have a large roof top solar system to zero out bill, and using a mix of supercharging and home charging our model x, I'm still over producing but once 3 comes, will add 6-8panels to keep bill at zero. (Installer says 6 panels take care of average yearly ev use) (315 panels)