Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Supercharging be free for Gen3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know about supercharging specifically (as in free access to the current superchargers). But I do know the Gen III will fail if it doesn't have DC charging even as an option. It'll be competing in the price range of a Leaf (and we have the Spark, i3 and also the Infiniti EV coming out) and even they have DC charging. Even if there is no free access to superchargers, the car must at least have a option to access J1772 DC and/or CHAdeMO stations.

The 40kWh Model S was able to get away with not having DC charging because there's currently few competitors, chargers, and DC capable EVs. By the time Gen 3 is out, there should be plenty of competitors, chargers, and DC capable EVs driving around. Not having DC charging even as a option will be a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Last edited:
I really hope they stick with the Model S supercharging paradigm (I really want to say model here :tongue:) for all Tesla vehicles: higher-range vehicles get supercharging built in, middle-range as an option, lower end maybe not. It seems they plan not to charge for supercharging, since it's a hassle to deal with billing (although I'm sure they could work it out, if necessary). Having no supercharging for any Gen III models would kill my interest in it immediately and would be a terrible mistake.

I really hope they stick with the Model S supercharging paradigm (I really want to say model here :tongue:) for all Tesla vehicles: higher-range vehicles get supercharging built in, middle-range as an option, lower end maybe not. It seems they plan not to charge for supercharging, since it's a hassle to deal with billing (although I'm sure they could work it out, if necessary). Having no supercharging for any Gen III models would kill my interest in it immediately and would be a terrible mistake.

somewhere in thier articles they said the superchargers are for all Tesla models. As you said high end gets SC for free, mid-range as option.

Tesla will have the need to move the Supercharger to a commercial platform. this may include that tesla (or Solar city) will own the premise build to the objectives of tesla and lease out space to restaurant, grocery stores, motels etc. which will pay back for the investment. in future with GEN-3, the traffic on the SC may increase hefty. Maybethere will be a premium for SC or free slow charge for those, using the services provided by the restaurant etc.

IMHO fast charging is so critical to using BEV's without compromise that whatever it takes to get much wider distribution is what should happen. I suspect that that will involve users paying per use, by subscription or some other way. There has to be an incentive for companies to install and maintain these, not to mention paying for the electricity.

If there's going to be one every 100 miles or so, which seems like a minimum, there have to be roughly 600 in the continental US, if every 50 miles, about 2400. I'm doubtful that will happen without the users paying for it.

I would keep it free for the largest battery cars, but change the model from a Flat $2000 fee for the mid range car, to a per charge fee ($20-$50 per supercharge, about the same as filling up a gas tank) for someone who uses the supercharger alot, it would provide a real motivation to go with the bigger battery, and it makes the technology available to the person who only needs a shorter range car, and would only supercharge 1-2 times a year. I would probably even say that this model should be extended to the smallest pack as well.

If Tesla starts selling cars in the volumes it wants to I don't see how they can give them all access to the superchargers without creating long lines in some areas, which defeats the whole purpose of supercharging. I think it will be limited to the larger pack sizes of the Gen3, maybe only the very largest.

If Tesla starts selling cars in the volumes it wants to I don't see how they can give them all access to the superchargers without creating long lines in some areas, which defeats the whole purpose of supercharging. I think it will be limited to the larger pack sizes of the Gen3, maybe only the very largest.

If they charge $2k for access to the Supercharger like they do now for the 60kWh battery why wouldn't they use that money to expand the Supercharger network? I've seen estimates on the forum that it costs approximately $250k to setup a supercharging charging location. Granted we have no hard data to go on but that is only 125 cars. 25,000k Gen3 cars sold in theory should support building out alot more supercharger locations. I do agree though that Tesla may have to charge a reasonable fee to limit lines, but Elon seems adamant that supercharging is critical to Tesla's success.

I think the answer is basically yes, but with a twist.

I think Tesla will build out the Supercharger network as announced last summer... 120-150 mile distances getting you basically anywhere in U.S. and lower Canada. I see this continuing to be free forever.

what of increasing volumes? I think Tesla will license others to build essentially Supercharger stations, but with a different name. So rather than Tesla having an awkward game of some customers feeling they're not building enough stations, and others feeling they are paying a built in expense they are not using, the free market will decide matters. Long lines becoming an issue in a particular corridor, precisely what attracts private business to to swoop in and cure it as a licensee.

With this as needed filling in with pay-for stations, Tesla maintains it's original network indefinitely. This lets Tesla stand by it's free long distance travel on sunlight forever, and a bit of connection to the early days (i.e. today) and eases themselves out of managing the pace of the buildup. (The market will find some equilibrium between the cost of time vs. the cost of money... think of places like NYC that have free and fee based bridges and tunnels).

fwiw, when you consider that the stations are off highways in between major cities, and essentially a few parking spots in a rest stop plus the roughly $250,000 initial cost, it's a pretty simple business to figure out a profitable price to charge. I suspect that price would be well under gas as I've heard gas stations are pretty low margin (I say this notwithstanding the much longer time it takes to fill an EV than an ICE).