TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Will Tesla accept Trade-Ins?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by ArtVanDelay, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ArtVanDelay

ArtVanDelay Member

With numerous Tesla stores opening up across the country and a modestly priced Model S coming out will customers be able to trade-in a vehicle towards the purchase of Tesla vehicles?

2. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

They certainly don't now, and don't even offer financing.

With the Model S, there is a very good chance that will change.

3. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

They did mention earlier that since they are an EV-only manufacturer they would not touch ICE vehicles. Though I suppose for Tesla to simply resell the car to some used car dealer shouldn't be too much work and might be a good extra revenue stream. So as BBHigway said they might change their earlier stance.

Cobos

4. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I have been told by TM that when the Model S comes out they will DEFINATELY be offering financing. Trade Ins - who knows ....

5. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

They should take EV trade-ins.

6. BBHighway

BBHighway Member

They should take your trade in and sell it to someone who will convert it to electric.

7. Kevin Harney

That is a great idea !!!!

8. DDB

DDB Member

Since Tesla is the only EV manufacturer...it makes sense they would take a Tesla. But there are no others on the market at present....or am I wrong? It may make good marketing sense but probably not good financial sense at the moment.

Conversions? Wishful thinking, but how would Tesla know the quality. What a mess :eek:

9. Tdave

Tdave Member

Taking advantage of the "Cash for Clunkers" program requires a trade-in transaction with the auto maker, doesn't it?

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

A cool, or novel idea perhaps, but not a great idea... not when it comes to business. Do you really think they should dedicate resources to converting, or finding people to convert old vehicles for them?

They have little to gain there.

11. walk_n_wind

walk_n_wind Member

Little to gain financially, but it sure would be good from a consumer point-of-view - some customers like to trade-in just because they don't have to deal with their old car anymore (even if the trade-in doesn't reduce the price of the new car).

Because the Model S will bring more conventional customers, Tesla might benefit from inviting Car Max or the like to send a representative over to offer money for the trade-in car. They may be able to expose a trade-in interface to their customers, which could make-or-break some (few?) potential buyers.

But it's all a lot to administrate (at least to get off the ground). Hmmm...

12. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

A partnership like that with a 3rd party would work IMO -- but having them handle it themselves all alone... not likely.

13. mt2

mt2 Member

Agreed. And an arrangement with CarMax would not only make it easier to trade in my old vehicle (I'd have taken it to CarMax anyway), but it might
    make the Cash For Clunkers rebate easier since the trade-in could be directly tied to the purchase of the new vehicle.

14. ArtVanDelay

ArtVanDelay Member

I think the majority of customers interested in purchasing the Model S are accustomed to trading in their previous car towards the purchase of a new car. I assume most customers in the market for a vehicle $60k-$70k are not the type of people that would place an ad and want to deal with strangers to sell a used car.

15. Kevin Harney

No take the cars and give them to a conversion shop or sell them for the body knowing they will be gutted and converted. I was not suggesting that TM get in the conversion business at all.

16. rolosrevenge

rolosrevenge Dr. EVS

"This old Th!nk of mine still works great, how much will it give me towards the Model S..."

17. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

At first I kinda thought you were joking. Now I see that you're not.

Not every car is practical to convert. Tesla should do whatever makes good business sense.