Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla let us know when MY with 4680 structural battery can be ordered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw on a video someone say that Tesla may announce when orders are open for this. I think some of us are hoping we can delay our current order until this moment arrives. Anyone else heard that instead a separate order stream may open and we have to be ready to jump into it?

I saw on a video someone say that Tesla may announce when orders are open for this. I think some of us are hoping we can delay our current order until this moment arrives. Anyone else heard that instead a separate order stream may open and we have to be ready to jump into it?
No. Because then everyone would stop ordering the current model.

It will be a phased rollout. Just like everything else they do.

I wonder if people in line for a Model Y can decline delivery a few times until the 4680 cells start rolling out. Any anecdotes about how much Tesla tolerates this? Do they throw people out of line and take their deposit? I’m in line for a MYP with a March 2022 delivery estimate and am willing to wait an extra six months if that’s what it takes. When a VIN is assigned to me I’ll be very interested in the factory location code and reports of where 4680 cells are coming from.

Last edited:
I wonder if people in line for a Model Y can decline delivery a few times until the 4680 cells start rolling out. Any anecdotes about how much Tesla tolerates this? Do they throw people out of line and take their deposit? I’m in line for a MYP with a March 2022 delivery estimate and am willing to wait an extra six months if that’s what it takes. When a VIN is assigned to me I’ll be very interested in the factory location code and reports of where 4680 cells are coming from.

I have thought the same about my model Y, and I'm reading a lot of threads where Tesla is cancelling peoples orders and taking their deposits after dealing with multiple holds. As much as it pains me, I side with Tesla, as they can't have people gaming the system. Just order when you are ready.

I couldn't care less about the 4680s ... or the mega castings either tbh

I ordered in June because I saw a video where someone said: "If you're waiting for the 4680s or the mega casting, don't ... because by the time they're available, there'll be something else to wait for and you'll never get the vehicle"

I'm glad I took notice, because my purchase price was $6,500 less than the current price. Are 4680s worth that much to you?

I ordered in June because I saw a video where someone said: "If you're waiting for the 4680s or the mega casting, don't ... because by the time they're available, there'll be something else to wait for and you'll never get the vehicle"

I'm glad I took notice, because my purchase price was $6,500 less than the current price. Are 4680s worth that much to you?
Yes the 4680 range increase is worth a lot to me. Wow you got a good price. Makes me wonder if the price increase is for something more than increased demand like we‘re gonna get 4680 cells and significantly higher range.

I wonder if people in line for a Model Y can decline delivery a few times until the 4680 cells start rolling out. Any anecdotes about how much Tesla tolerates this? Do they throw people out of line and take their deposit?

They dont (tolerate this), and this forum is littered with people who say they have gotten their orders canceled, etc. Tesla even changed their MVPA language somewhat to prevent it. There is absolutely a cost to tesla in the logistics around people canceling delivery, etc.

I would actually expect tesla to further double down on people attempting to do this, especially after this whole "wait for possible credit" fiasco that is also not over.

Its probably coming very soon, you all should put your orders on hold and wait so I can get my car now lol.
So is smell-o-vision.
smell-o-vision.png

Yes the 4680 range increase is worth a lot to me. Wow you got a good price. Makes me wonder if the price increase is for something more than increased demand like we‘re gonna get 4680 cells and significantly higher range.
I still maintain when the MY finally does get the 4680 it's still going to be a 326-ish mile range car constructed with fewer battery cells.

Why do I say this? Because they have 1+ million orders for the CyberTruck that *REQUIRES* the 4680 cells. They have ??? orders for Semi trucks that *REQUIRES* the 4680 cells. They are not going to put an unnecessary number of extra 4680 cells in the MY to increase the range. They have almost a years worth of backordered MY's placed with a spec sheet that said 326 mile car.

If they do come out with a Long Range Plus model, it's nothing you can order currently and will most likely have a base price several thousand dollars more that the current LR base price.

I am in complete agreement....this is the way with technology. Something else cool will come out after the 4680s. You have an iPhone 13, guess what, the 14 will have something even better. I really just want my MY. That's it. No holds, no indecision. Just 140 days of waiting.