Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

Will Tesla make the "by the end of January 2015" promise for torque sleep? (P85D)

• Yes, as promised

Votes: 33 27.0%
  • Nope, will be late

Votes: 89 73.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this type of improvement? Denarius...amazing! However, I would like a wk057 like side by side with his P85/P85D....

Jason (wk057) is still on 2.2.116 so we'll have to wait till he's on 2.2.139 to get side-by-side results.
As soon as I get my update (I'm still on 2.2.113) I'll do a comparison with my other routes and post results.

Last edited:
Quick update on my end. I've just received the following email from Jerome in response to my email to him last night:

To which I asked, what version am I expected to receive? I just want to confirm 2.2.139 is the one that includes torque sleep.

When he responds, and depending on how he responds, perhaps you could ask him if the torque sleep is always going to be tied to range mode, or if this is, hopefully, just a temporary situation. I have not yet received a response to the email I sent to [email protected], asking about that, and I didn't want to bother Jerome with it. But since you have already engaged him...

If you don't want to ask, naturally I understand. Thanks either way.

When he responds, and depending on how he responds, perhaps you could ask him if the torque sleep is always going to be tied to range mode, or if this is, hopefully, just a temporary situation. I have not yet received a response to the email I sent to [email protected], asking about that, and I didn't want to bother Jerome with it. But since you have already engaged him...

If you don't want to ask, naturally I understand. Thanks either way.

Oh I'm not shy, so I'll ask as soon as he responds.

I've been driving up to San Francisco this week from the south bay which has provided a nice test for the new .139 release. Long story short, if torque sleep is working, the impact is not perceptible - or at least it is not affected by the range mode setting.

A bit more detail - for those not in the bay area, going from Mountain View to San Francisco on 101 is a 40 mile mostly a flat drive. On my old S85, a drive to the city would probably be in the range of 300Wh/mile depending on speed. On Monday, when I drove up (on firmware .113, range mode off), I was getting roughly 330 Wh/mile. During the time that I drove there was little traffic, and I mostly used TACC at around 70-72 mph.

Last night I got the .139 update, and did the same drive to the city - this time with range mode on. Again, little traffic, TACC on at 72mph. I averaged about 328 Wh/mile. Well within the likely measurement error of my test, definitely not a 10% improvement.

During the ride I switched range mode off a couple of times over a 2 mile period to see if on the energy consumption chart I could see a difference - no change. Another poster on TMC suggested a perceptible difference in motor noise - I did not pick this up, though 101 has a very hard surface and is quite noisy with 21" wheels.

Overall, I'm not surprised. I would expect Tesla to confirm in the release notes the fact that torque sleep is in fact active. If this is the famed torque sleep release, then we're all in for some big disappointments.

One nice thing - I'm glad to see efficiency in the 325-330 Wh/m range. I don't do a lot of freeway driving and my average on my D has been 398 Wh/m over the 1200 miles I've had it (vs 348 for my S85 over 19k miles). Moreover, on 280 (same route as 101 but much more hilly), the efficiency didn't reduce that much. On my ride home last night, I got 345 Wh/m which is not bad. It seems that the D regens a lot more power than the S85 did.

Weird that everyone seems to be seeing an improvement. Have to take my car for another drive to see, but unfortunately won't be until tomorrow.

Yep, still waiting on .139. Keeping my fingers crossed that it hits around midnight like the last few updates. If it does I can do the side by side tomorrow. If anyone has any pull, make it happen please. :)

Yes, more details when I get them. Warning and shutdown was safe and relatively graceful, if quick. I'd rather not speculate on causes until I can get more facts from the service team (hopefully tomorrow). Roadside assistance was competent and professional on the phone tonight ... but unfortunately not magical with their remote access powers.

Update: Not much new to add today. The SC started looking at the car at 8am ET. By noon when they dropped off a loaner they were "consulting with engineering in California". At 5pm they were in the process of replacing a drive unit.

I suspect an an inverter or motor failure of the rear drive unit, but until I get more concrete information that is just my inference.

I failed to ask, but hope (assume and will verify) that the parts they put in are NEW (not simply refurbished). The warrantee may allow that, but with only 384 miles on the car I feel a new parts are justified.

May have more info (and hopefully the car back) in a couple of days.

Any suggestions of intelligent questions to be asking, or requests to be making in my circumstance (apparent infant mortality)?

Heh! Thanks, Marc! (I just noticed I've been spelling your name incorrectly! Apologies!) I'm sure many here will appreciate you getting the answer to that burning question!

Not a problem at all. So, I just got a response from Jerome a few minutes ago:

Dear Marc:

Thanks for your message

Software 6.1 (v2.2.139) includes enhancements for P85D vehicle efficiency. The specific software version you will receive tonight will also include the efficiency improvements but may have a different version number than “v2.2.139”. Sometimes different vehicle manufacturing dates or vehicle option configurations require different software versions for compatibility reasons.

Thanks again. Best regards,

Jerome Guillen I VP, WW sales and service I [email protected] I 45500 Fremont boulevard, Fremont CA 94538 I tel 650.681.5390 I mobile 503.970.5217 or 650.946.7730

To which I responded almost immediately with:

Thank you for the detailed response Jerome.

One last quick question: will the torque sleep be active in all modes, or only if RANGE MODE is set to ON?

I understand that RANGE MODE is no longer tied to the acceleration mode (SPORT/INSANE) for P85D models, however I am hearing from others that the torque sleep verbiage is only found when RANGE MODE is on.
This would be unfortunate, as it would sometimes be useful for long trips during which full climate control would be need (e.g. very cold or very hot ambient temperature), yet torque sleep would be required to achieve long distances.

Thanks for your continued support,

-Marc

To which I responded almost immediately with:

Excellent!

Thanks, Marc!

Interesting that Jerome did not say definitively that this update was --THE-- torque sleep update that was promised in JB Straubel's blog post, but he also didn't say that it wasn't. When Jerome feels like he's ready to move on from Tesla, perhaps he should go into politics.

Excellent!

Thanks, Marc!

Interesting that Jerome did not say definitively that this update was --THE-- torque sleep update that was promised in JB Straubel's blog post, but he also didn't say that it wasn't. When Jerome feels like he's ready to move on from Tesla, perhaps he should go into politics.

Pleasure. I'll keep you posted when he replies.

Yes, I also found in interesting that he did not refer to this software update that's currently being rolled out as including "torque sleep" a single time. He only mentioned "enhancements for P85D vehicle efficiency" and "efficiency improvements"... Could there be another more comprehensive software update to fully address torque sleep in the works?

Yes, I also found in interesting that he did not refer to this software update that's currently being rolled out as including "torque sleep" a single time. He only mentioned "enhancements for P85D vehicle efficiency" and "efficiency improvements"... Could there be another more comprehensive software update to fully address torque sleep in the works?

We can certainly hope...

Like most corporate executives, he is already in politics. Not a criticism, just a statement of fact.

Yes. And Mr. Guillen definitely seems to have a knack for it! Tesla is lucky to have him.

Wonder how he knows you'll get the update tonight. I'll probably shoot him an email if I don't see it in the morning.

Just a wild guess, but for the most part the P85D updates have been going out over a really tight schedule. In Jerome's first response to Marc he said something about not being able to get all the P85Ds updated at once (or in one night, or something like that) so it's entirely possible he knew what the total number was, knew that it had to be split into two nights, knew that the first night was last night and that the second was to be tonight, and knew that if Marc hadn't received the update last night, he'd have to be getting it tonight.

Again--that's a guess. But I think it's a somewhat reasonable one.

Just a wild guess, but for the most part the P85D updates have been going out over a really tight schedule. In Jerome's first response to Marc he said something about not being able to get all the P85Ds updated at once (or in one night, or something like that) so it's entirely possible he knew what the total number was, knew that it had to be split into two nights, knew that the first night was last night and that the second was to be tonight, and knew that if Marc hadn't received the update last night, he'd have to be getting it tonight.

Again--that's a guess. But I think it's a somewhat reasonable one.

Still waiting for mine too. :( I was in the very first batch to get 6.1.2.2.113 so thought I would get .139 right away, but guess all bets are off now.

Wonder how he knows you'll get the update tonight. I'll probably shoot him an email if I don't see it in the morning.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had access to some database to determine which VINs get the update on what date.

Sure enough, he was right - I just got the notification that there is an update pending for my car half an hour ago! Installing it now, I will find out what version it is in the morning. Can't wait…

image.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if he had access to some database to determine which VINs get the update on what date.

Sure enough, he was right - I just got the notification that there is an update pending for my car half an hour ago! Installing it now, I will find out what version it is in the morning. Can't wait…

Marc, do you think it seems reasonable at this stage of back and forth you have going with Jerome to ask about the logic of leaving such an important fix off the radar and completely missing from the notes? Given the details they normally provide, it just doesn't seem reasonable that they would effectively hide this critical update. I suppose I could ask him too - so if it seems too far out of context, I am happy to step up with that question too. Let us know!