Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla ship CPO?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In various forums, I've seen comments regarding CPO vehicles being shipped from parts of the country apart from where the buyer is located. Yet on tesla.com, all the CPO cars show local pick up where that vehicle is. Will they ship a car from one area to another?

It's up to you to either travel to pick the car up, have someone pick it up for you, or contract with a carrier to have it shipped to you. I purchased Woody in California and had Ready Logistics ship it to me for less than it would cost to fly out and drive back to Arkansas. Bonus: didn't have to pay the California tax.

• Informative
Reactions: MC408 and Donz_S
I'm flying to CA to pick up my CPO tomorrow so here's some fresh info.

• You can ship it but Tesla will NOT do the hand off to the shipper, only to you.
  • You (and anyone else on the title) need to be present at the location where the vehicle is in order to sign the paperwork, you can't sing it remotely.
  • Where ever the car is located, that's the taxes you'll pay (they'll register it for you in your state).
  • After the car has been moved from the warehouse or lot where they have it stored, into the delivery pick up location. You have 7 days to schedule your pickup appt or you forfeit your deposit.
  • Your deposit is non-refundable.
  • If you've put a deposit on a vehicle, and while you're waiting another CPO becomes available and you want to switch over. You're allowed to switch over ONCE without forfeiting your deposit.

The reason why you're seeing different information on the forums is because the Tesla CPO program has changed and they no longer ship used cars to your local SC.

It's up to you to either travel to pick the car up, have someone pick it up for you, or contract with a carrier to have it shipped to you. I purchased Woody in California and had Ready Logistics ship it to me for less than it would cost to fly out and drive back to Arkansas. Bonus: didn't have to pay the California tax.

I'm flying to CA to pick up my CPO tomorrow so here's some fresh info.

• You can ship it but Tesla will NOT do the hand off to the shipper, only to you.
  • You (and anyone else on the title) need to be present at the location where the vehicle is in order to sign the paperwork, you can't sing it remotely.
  • Where ever the car is located, that's the taxes you'll pay (they'll register it for you in your state).
  • After the car has been moved from the warehouse or lot where they have it stored, into the delivery pick up location. You have 7 days to schedule your pickup appt or you forfeit your deposit.
  • Your deposit is non-refundable.
  • If you've put a deposit on a vehicle, and while you're waiting another CPO becomes available and you want to switch over. You're allowed to switch over ONCE without forfeiting your deposit.

The reason why you're seeing different information on the forums is because the Tesla CPO program has changed and they no longer ship used cars to your local SC.

Some seriously conflicting information here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I believe Tesla changed their shipping policy on August 4th. A few weeks later they changed their policy to you physically have to be there to sign for your car. As annoying and difficult as it is i would still recommend only buying from Tesla for the warranty alone. I got my cpo MS in September and I've already had the steering wheel/air bag and both taillights replaced for minor issues. Their service is amazing and they go above and beyond.

I took receipt of my MO purchased and TX bound MS on 8/14/18. During the purchasing time period of about two weeks, the status went from “$1,500 prep and we ship your MS to nearby SC” to “no more prep, no more shipping, no $1,500, come and get it.”

Please tell me why anyone would buy a CPO TODAY?
You cannot see it or drive it till you have paid for it in full.
It could be a disaster.
Last week a man in ca drove 6 hours, got there, it was bad, he went home.
End of story.

I guess I was lucky. I bought a 2016 S75 CPO with 17K miles on it in November 2018. I didn't get to see the car until the day I picked it up. The car looked just as good in person as it did in the pictures. I have put on about 1000 miles so far and I couldn't be happier.

It tool me a bit over 1 hour to drive to the location where the car was - West Palm Beach. The drive going back home was absolutely amazing.

I live in Oregon (no sales tax, cheap registration) so if I take delivery in CA, I'm stuck with sales tax. For the car I'm looking for, that would be over $6000! So if shipping is available, it would make sense. And to address lasttoy, a 4 year/100k warranty is a pretty compelling reason.

I live in Oregon (no sales tax, cheap registration) so if I take delivery in CA, I'm stuck with sales tax. For the car I'm looking for, that would be over $6000! So if shipping is available, it would make sense. And to address lasttoy, a 4 year/100k warranty is a pretty compelling reason.

A few people confirmed that Tesla is now shipping again to service centers. Cost is $2k. @Zorg said his sales advisor emailed him this info so he may be able to confirm.

Discussion in other threads

Hidden CPO Costs: stories

'15 S 85D (Titanium) vs '15 85D (midnight Silver) vs '16 90D (midnight silver)

• Informative
Reactions: Donz_S
I guess this solves it.
Screen Shot 2018-12-26 at 8.23.17 AM.png

I believe the new current option is to have the car shipped to you fora $2000 fee. I believe if it is shipped to your state and you have a nearby sales location available then that's where the delivery will be processed and so you can save some $$ on taxes in some cases. And it would save hassle for registration in some cases. In other cases, it might make more sense to just go pick up the car where it's at. I'm not sure if you don't have a sales center nearby if they will deliver it to your home or work and I don't know where the paperwork takes place. You have to talk to a knowledgeable and helpful Tesla representative, which is hard to find.

the reason for all the conflicting info is that at the beginning of this year they delivered the cars, I believe without a fee. Then for something like 8 months they did not deliver at all. And now they offer delivery for a $2k fee. In other words, it keeps changing.

It's very annoying because they started offering delivery again right after I bought my car and if I'd done delivery it would have saved me a lot of money and hassle.