Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will Tesla still be a desirable car in 5 years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MY-user

MYLR, 5s, OD9/10, received on Nov. 29.
Sep 15, 2021
Colorado
Hey guys and gals, do you think people will like Teslas in 5 years? Let's face it:
- all models look similar.
- there's going to be many more of them on the roads.

Unless there's a radically new Tesla look for model 3 and Y people will get board.
There's got to be a reason why all major car brands update car looks every 5 years.

Well the other thing to consider is that until recently, there was very little desirable alternatives in the market if you want to purchase an EV. With the recent arrivals of vehicles like the Mustang Mach-E, Polestar 2, VW ID4, Porsche Taycan, Volvo C40/XC40 Recharge and so on, we are starting to see a lot more choice in the market. And soon we will see Rivian R1T/R1S, F150 Lighting, Cybertruck, Hummer EV, Ionic 5, Kia EV6, and I'm sure many more vehicles across various segments. While there are lots of us that will continue to be fans and customers of Tesla for many years to come, I think some have purchased in the past simply because there were no desirable EV alternatives. Obviously as a whole the EV marketshare is going to steadily climb, as will the popularity and prevalence of Teslas on the road--but competitor's offerings are also going to take off and our Teslas will seem less unique, potentially, in 5-10 years. That's just my take, FWIW.

Unfortunately, Tesla is NOT a car company. It's a technology/battery company. As such, they aren't equipped to make agile design changes to their line-up like other "car" manufacturers can. This is evident in the Model S and X which are growing long in their teeth without significant changes. Even the latest "refresh" isn't that much of a departure from the previous. They did the bare minimum necessary to put all their cars on the same computer hardware so that their software development cycles can be streamlined.

It costs a $hit load of money to design and develop new body styles and actually make them using new stamping casts for body parts. Even then you have to pass all sorts of safety and government regulations globally to actually put them on the street, and yes, that costs money too. A lot of it. Probably more than the shareholders would like. ;)

Tesla is barely out of the red with making cars. There is a stiff head-wind waiting for them like some are saying here with legitimate competition coming onto market with strong products. Tesla's cars virtually sell them selves but their QC still suffers as a byproduct. This won't be acceptable for too long as people look at Audi's and MBZs in the showroom with impeccable quality in fitment and materials.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Tesla is NOT a car company. It's a technology/battery company. As such, they aren't equipped to make agile design changes to their line-up like other "car" manufacturers can.
True, but Elon has shown an incredible ability to adopt. Unlike Cyber truck with its exoskeleton cars should be easier to modify. Well except it might negatively affect the drag coefficient.

Tesla's cars virtually sell them selves but their QC still suffers as a byproduct. This won't be acceptable for too long as people look at Audi's and MBZs in the showroom with impeccable quality in fitment and materials.
Not having any issues on my S or 3, or the two Ss before them, I personally wouldn't own an Audi or Benz. Never did like them, and Tesla showed them the way, which they didn't figure out for ten years, only waiting until they figured they could make a profit now. They don't care about electrics, where that's all Tesla does.

A lot of people I know don't even think about their "fitment and materials". How many people buy Toyotas and Nissans and worry about fitment and materials? I know that Teslas in Orange County are at least as good as what we get up here in the bay area. You might as well say that Toyotas and NIssans won't be acceptable "for too long". I'm sorry, but I don't compare my Tesla to any Audi or Benz other that to watch them trying to play catch up.

True, but Elon has shown an incredible ability to adopt. Unlike Cyber truck with its exoskeleton cars should be easier to modify. Well except it might negatively affect the drag coefficient.
No doubt. No one in history has gone against the GMs, VWs and Toyota's of the world who's been making cars for a century and friggin kick'em in their teeth! LOL!

Now that those giants have taken notice and see that EVs are viable lines for revenue, they're saying, GAME ON Tesla!

Not having any issues on my S or 3, or the two Ss before them, I personally wouldn't own an Audi or Benz. Never did like them, and Tesla showed them the way, which they didn't figure out for ten years, only waiting until they figured they could make a profit now. They don't care about electrics, where that's all Tesla does.

A lot of people I know don't even think about their "fitment and materials". How many people buy Toyotas and Nissans and worry about fitment and materials? I know that Teslas in Orange County are at least as good as what we get up here in the bay area. You might as well say that Toyotas and NIssans won't be acceptable "for too long". I'm sorry, but I don't compare my Tesla to any Audi or Benz other that to watch them trying to play catch up.
I am not trying to downgrade the work that Tesla has been able to accomplish. As proof, my skin is in the game too. I own their product as well as stock. LOL. There is no doubt Tesla is the front runner when it comes to EVs. I am simply saying that they have to appeal to the majority to be sustainable for the upcoming 10 years.

BTW, have you looked at the new EQS? You have to admit, it's pretty impressive. :) I also saw a Rivian R1T and that was an impressive product as well.

I think Tesla is still a novelty, although we are definitely at the tail end of that phase - even though Tesla has been around for awhile, we're just hitting a level of widespread adoption and the uniqueness will start to fade unless visual updates are made. Do they have to be revolutionary? Probably not. But they will need to evolve a bit to stay competitive. It's just the nature of the industry and the consumer.

Will they be desirable for car fans? Maybe. People who view their cars as appliances? Possibly. But they will have to work to maintain their lead. Fart noises and video games will only take you so far. :)

Reactions: MY-user
Tesla's mission statement has always been to pave the way and to and drive the transition to sustainable energy, not 'sell as many car as possible', I think there's a fundamental difference.

By keeping the designs as long as possible, this discourages the mentality or upgradeitis every 'model refresh' and addition of new 'must have' features that are either 'hard coded' or built-in.

I personally think the Model S still looks great and I think has out lasted the next longest refresh cycle which I was the Mercedes SL.

In 5 years they certainly won't have the novelty factor and there will be doubtless many more compelling choices for an EV, it will be interesting to see.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Well, Tesla is really going on 10 years for the model S design. The consumer is fickle, and what is desirable, fashionable or in vogue is not based on any measurable trait that I can see. For me, the bigger question is "Will I still desire to have this car in 5 years." At this point, as near as I can tell, the answer is 'yes.'

Porsche have made essentially the same design for decades and it doesn’t seem to be a problem even though I’ve always found them ugly…

As long as Tesla stays ahead of the curve the whole brand gets cachet in the eyes of Joe Public.
Yes, and so Mini Cooper and VW Bug. The peblem with Tesla is that their whole line up looks about the same. You can tell a Civic from an Accord from a block away. Not so with Tesla. Porsche doesn't have very similar looking model for 1/3 $.

and that's a valid point (though you have to agree on the 9th and 10th ;) generations)

However it's still in some ways comparing apples to oranges. Sure they reconfigure the vehicle every five years, but then that design is fixed for the next five or so years.

Tesla on the other hand say "Oh look, here's a good idea for a new center console or windshield wiper or steering wheel or window glass or headlights or seat anchor system or underbody casting or battery pack or suspension or rear trunk bin etc and then use up what's in the stockroom and start installing the new items. No five year wait.

And this is just the physical items. Software related items like how the wipers work, or autopilot or TACC or maybe they think putting selective regenerative braking would be useful. No wait at all for things like that

It really is a very different kind of car - almost not a car at all, but a moving piece of software and its existence will probably change the industry dramatically.

I don't know when leasing started, but I imagine it was long after car ownership had been through purchase only and the creation of leasing programs would have changed the industry in a similar manner