Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

will the Model S or X seats fit in a Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I own a model 3 for 3 days now, I love the car, but I have serious back pains from the seats. Something a have never experience before in all the previous cars I owned. I don't want to return the car for this, and was hoping the seats of the model X of S would fit in the model 3 and work properly. Does enyone know?

Thank you

Moderator note: Moving from California forum. This more properly belongs in the Model 3 forum, where I’m going to move it in just a moment. But the answer is no they’re not compatible.

Bruce.

Edit: I don’t know how this happened but somehow this thread got moved while I was writing the above post about moving it. :confused:

Also, play with the seat. There are TWO lumbar supports in the Model 3. The round switch doesn't just go up and down it also goes front and back, so there are LOTS of lower back adjustments to find the perfect position for.

I have done some serious long-distance driving in the car, and yes I have thrown my back out once, but I love the fact that when I move the seat around during the trip to change up the position of my knees or back, it will reset to my favorite position when I get back in the car.

Moderator note: Moving from California forum. This more properly belongs in the Model 3 forum, where I’m going to move it in just a moment. But the answer is no they’re not compatible.

Bruce.

Edit: I don’t know how this happened but somehow this thread got moved while I was writing the above post about moving it. :confused:

The mystery moderator strikes again.. :D

I own a model 3 for 3 days now, I love the car, but I have serious back pains from the seats. Something a have never experience before in all the previous cars I owned. I don't want to return the car for this, and was hoping the seats of the model X of S would fit in the model 3 and work properly. Does enyone know?

Thank you

This is why I did not buy a 3. Would like to know why they are "not compatible"? Anything can be retro fitted.

You didn't buy a model 3 because the seats from a different car do not fit? Is that correct?

I've read some wacky stuff on these forums but that's up there!

Lol... thats not how I read that... I read that as "I didnt buy a model 3 because I found the seats uncomfortable". With that being said, those 2 cars are no where near in the same "class". you could buy 2 or even 3 model 3s for the price of a model x, depending on which specific trims you bought. If you can buy 2 or 3 of one car for the price of another, they are NOT anywhere near being in the same class.

In my experience, your body will get accustomed to the seat pretty quickly. I have the trouble where I drive the Model 3 for weeks on end, then switch to our Avalanche for a week or two. The first few days after the change always produces some back pain that rapidly goes away.
I've found it to be more of the seat height and how my legs are bent that cause the issue vs a lumbar setting. Lowering the avalanche seat and raising the model 3 lessens the impact.

I am looking forward to the cT seats to not pinch my ass. Also should be easier for us old folks to get into. Not that I am complaining about the TM3, it holds me in place while I am bombing up the mountainside. But it could be a BIT roomier for my wide backside.

Seeing as apparently no one wants to even try to answer your question, I'll give it a shot. The recent Model Y tear down by Munro showed that all 4 vehicles use the same seat frame structure. If I'm not mistaken, they also all share the same functions in terms of position and lumbar adjustments, as well as heating. It appears that they just apply different padding/skin over a common frame and mechanics/electronics. Based on all this, it seems highly likely to me that you could retrofit a Model S seat into your Model 3 with minimal fuss.

For the record; the Model 3 has the most comfortable seat of any car I've ever been it. I hate the vegan leather though.

Seeing as apparently no one wants to even try to answer your question, I'll give it a shot. The recent Model Y tear down by Munro showed that all 4 vehicles use the same seat frame structure. If I'm not mistaken, they also all share the same functions in terms of position and lumbar adjustments, as well as heating. It appears that they just apply different padding/skin over a common frame and mechanics/electronics. Based on all this, it seems highly likely to me that you could retrofit a Model S seat into your Model 3 with minimal fuss.

For the record; the Model 3 has the most comfortable seat of any car I've ever been it. I hate the vegan leather though.
Same mounting dimension, but you have to consider that the OEM 3 seats have little clearance to the B pillar and to the center console.

There's a big risk that the overall dimensions of the seats fitted to the larger car, would be larger.

The 2020 X just switched over to cheaper seats (fixed headrests). I’m not sure if the S will get the same seats because they have shared the same seats during most of the last 4 model years. I have a couple new S’s and a new P3 and I personality like the seats in the 3 as much as the S because of the way I fit in them, (I’m 6’ with low body fat though). The 3 seats seem like the foam is softer and a bit less supportive which is nice on longer drives. I actually think it’s crazy other manufacturers can’t build seats as comfortable. I own a new BMW X5 with the top trim with articulated Marino leather ventilation sport seats and prefer the Tesla seats. I’m so impressed with the synthetic "leather" I’d hate to buy anything else, especially without the durable and beautiful white synthetic.

Last edited:
In my experience, your body will get accustomed to the seat pretty quickly. I have the trouble where I drive the Model 3 for weeks on end, then switch to our Avalanche for a week or two. The first few days after the change always produces some back pain that rapidly goes away.
I've found it to be more of the seat height and how my legs are bent that cause the issue vs a lumbar setting. Lowering the avalanche seat and raising the model 3 lessens the impact.
I've had a similar experience, I was somewhat uncomfortable sitting in the Model 3 seats early on but then after a few weeks for I no longer had an issue with them. Not sure why that happened but the same thing occurred with my 911. For the Porsche, I actually started experimenting with making custom seat bottoms and back supports but eventually I threw them all out. Hope this is somewhat helpful.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I though I read that recently Tesla switched the seats in Model S and X to the same ones used in Model 3 and Y.

The frame is the same, yes. The fabric/padding/etc. is different from S/X to 3/Y.

I own one of each - a 2019 Model 3, and a 2020 Model X.

The 3 feels, to me, like the bolsters are slightly wider. Maybe it's because it's broken in a bit more, but both are plenty comfortable.
About to do a 5,000 mile road trip in the X, so I'll let you know when I get back how torqued up my back is... LOL.

I love vegan leather!
so much easier to clean and be careless with

ALL cars should be vegan leather (of course, with exception, the $200,000 and + luxury cars. it makes sense if they offer an option)