Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will the older Model S/X get the new v11 UI refresh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I haven't seen anything about this online, I would like to know if the new UI refresh that's coming to the new 2021 refreshed Model S is going to come to the old pre-refresh Model S/X (2012-2020 models). I happen to be an owner of a 2016 MS, so I am curious to know if my car will get the UI overhaul.

For the S/X, I wouldn't think so, but who knows. Forking development of a new UI for a legacy platform with a different display orientation for vehicles they no longer sell sounds like a lot of work for nothing.

I'd rather them spend their time adding more functionality to the existing platform with newer services that can be more easily implemented across all of their cars: newer streaming services (Pandora, Tidal, Amazon, Apple, Plex), more robust data tracking/display, adjust air suspension or open sunroof with voice commands, etc.

At this point, it's unclear if anyone will get the new v11 UI refresh...

Well OK, but how about FSD visualizations For those of us who have purchased the full self driving package with the “old”portrait view model X or model S?

I couldn’t care less about a fancier iPad but I will really care if they say I won’t be able to use full self driving beta because my car is not made any more.....In the slim chance that it’s available in the first place😩😩😩

I still prefer the portrait view

Well OK, but how about FSD visualizations For those of us who have purchased the full self driving package with the “old”portrait view model X or model S?

I couldn’t care less about a fancier iPad but I will really care if they say I won’t be able to use full self driving beta because my car is not made any more.....In the slim chance that it’s available in the first place😩😩😩

I still prefer the portrait view

FSD Visualizations are shown on the IC (if we assume that what we see in the v8.2 is what will be in the v9). So if you want those visualizations, make sure you're on MCU/2 (ie, the Infotainment Upgrade). Note: This is NOT the FSD Computer/HW3 which is a separate upgrade).

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
The only concern is that the IC is very short of real estate if the new v9++ visuals are going on it: I find it almost impossible now to determine if the brake lights and traffic lights are lit.
I wouldn't mind if they transferred all the driving/visual functions onto the big screen a la 3, Y etc and just left the IC with speed and gear together with the infotainment, but I guess that's going an update too far.

I could see the new IC working in the pre-refresh S/X as long as folks are willing to give up apps on the right side. However, the way the new apps display, dock, etc is designed for a horizontal display, so, to @beatle 's point, not sure they would take the time to re-write apps for the vertical display for a dedicated platform.

Fair enough. I think the issue would be less the the orientation than the fact there appears to be a different window handler in the Palladium UI. That being said, I also think the Roadster get the horizontal screen.
Roadster prototype also has two smaller screens near the air vents. That may all change when we see the final version later in 2021

Agree! Landscape /portrait is just a minor thing, it basically self adjust on a tablet or a 2in1 laptop, just a matter of settings
It’s all about abandoning those who purchased their most expensive cars as recently as a year ago. Mis-leading and they treat there most loyal customers with zero loyalty. Remember that on your next car purchase.