Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will this all weather tire fit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I can't seem to find this answer -- so I thought I'd check in here.

Would there be any issue with this tire size - 255/45 R 19 - on a Model S with 19-inch rims? This is the only size the PureContact™ LS comes in (close to the OEM size).

In case anyone is wondering -- it is rated the number 2 all-weather tire from consumer reports. The number one -- Michelin CrossClimate -- I know will not fit.

Looks like the new Nokians (my current all weather tires) score well below the top performers. So after this summer, they will be ditched.

The Continentals are not an all-weather, they are an M+S all- season. They do not have a snowflake like the Nokians.
I wonder... is the snowflake designation -- automatically given if a tire meets certain specifications or does the automaker have to pay/request for it to be tested/approved. It is just weird how much lower the WRG4 score in comparison to the "all season" Purecontact LS.

Well I don't have a subscription to CR and I don't plan on getting one, so I can't decipher what 71 or 59 actually means, and knowing CR from previous reviews read I might conclude it is meaningless anyway.

Keep in mind that different size tires perform differently as well; those are with 215mm 17 inch tires and results for 245 /19 might be different. Yes it is the exact same tire, just a different size, but I have read that due to how the siping distances change, the tread block to spacing distances change, it can affect its performance. The mass of a car changes a tires performance also.

Just as important is how the tire performs after it has worn 20% or 50%. Some manufacturers have a dual compound rubber that performs very well when new but after 6 months of use it is a completely different tire when that soft, sticky, porous top layer is worn off. You don't know this from a tire review as it scored "93" but after 5000 miles if they tested it it it now would score "55". I would rather own a tire that got rated last at "80" but still was a "75" the next season. All tests should be done after a tire has 5000 miles/km of wear IMO.

What I feel gives more meaning is reading reports of real life car drivers who have used a tire for a whole winter season; a guy with say a Subaru WRX who has driven 20,000 on a winter tire, over 2 seasons, through various varieties of snow/slush/ice, and remembers and describes the differences to the 2 other winter tires he has owned.

Heres a review on Tirerack (225/17 size): If you read this test and see that the Continental Purcontact LS performed "second to last" on a wet track test, (click on the test result charts) it doesn't look that good anymore, does it? But what does 36.99 compared to 37.01 seconds mean? Nothing. A different driver might prefer the feel of the other tire and have completely different results. The Michelin Premier A/S is the overall winner here, and it is quieter and a better ride also. But I would buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ over the Premiers, and yet I own the Primacy for my summer tires. Yes, your favourite tire finished second overall; it got the silver ribbon. Take it all with a grain of salt.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=237

Having said that the consumer reviews of the tire in a 245/19 size look pretty good. But so do the owners reviews of the Nokian WRG4's; of which I own and will probably buy again.

Well I don't have a subscription to CR and I don't plan on getting one, so I can't decipher what 71 or 59 actually means, and knowing CR from previous reviews read I might conclude it is meaningless anyway.

Keep in mind that different size tires perform differently as well; those are with 215mm 17 inch tires and results for 245 /19 might be different. Yes it is the exact same tire, just a different size, but I have read that due to how the siping distances change, the tread block to spacing distances change, it can affect its performance. The mass of a car changes a tires performance also.

Just as important is how the tire performs after it has worn 20% or 50%. Some manufacturers have a dual compound rubber that performs very well when new but after 6 months of use it is a completely different tire when that soft, sticky, porous top layer is worn off. You don't know this from a tire review as it scored "93" but after 5000 miles if they tested it it it now would score "55". I would rather own a tire that got rated last at "80" but still was a "75" the next season. All tests should be done after a tire has 5000 miles/km of wear IMO.

What I feel gives more meaning is reading reports of real life car drivers who have used a tire for a whole winter season; a guy with say a Subaru WRX who has driven 20,000 on a winter tire, over 2 seasons, through various varieties of snow/slush/ice, and remembers and describes the differences to the 2 other winter tires he has owned.

Heres a review on Tirerack (225/17 size): If you read this test and see that the Continental Purcontact LS performed "second to last" on a wet track test, (click on the test result charts) it doesn't look that good anymore, does it? But what does 36.99 compared to 37.01 seconds mean? Nothing. A different driver might prefer the feel of the other tire and have completely different results. The Michelin Premier A/S is the overall winner here, and it is quieter and a better ride also. But I would buy the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S+ over the Premiers, and yet I own the Primacy for my summer tires. Yes, your favourite tire finished second overall; it got the silver ribbon. Take it all with a grain of salt.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=237

Having said that the consumer reviews of the tire in a 245/19 size look pretty good. But so do the owners reviews of the Nokian WRG4's; of which I own and will probably buy again.

Very good information. I do agree that my >50% worn WRG3 have performed pretty well in the snow that WA has recently experienced.

I re-read the CR all weather article and it states that all weather tires are a subset of performance season tires -- so that now makes sense why the all weathers are lumped in the performance all season category tests.

Though the all-weather Cross climate + appeared to kill the tests and their reviews look pretty good - unfortunately, they aren't selling in our size.. :(
I'll send you the article and maybe let us know what you think?

Very good information. I do agree that my >50% worn WRG3 have performed pretty well in the snow that WA has recently experienced.

I re-read the CR all weather article and it states that all weather tires are a subset of performance season tires -- so that now makes sense why the all weathers are lumped in the performance all season category tests.

Though the all-weather Cross climate + appeared to kill the tests and their reviews look pretty good - unfortunately, they aren't selling in our size.. :(
I'll send you the article and maybe let us know what you think?

I have noticed those cross climates perform very well, but does that tread look loud? It is. I SAID IT IS!:eek:

I don't know about you but I would rather drive a few km/h slower and still maintain my sanity than brag about having the all-out best performing tires and try to lap other drivers on the streets.

In the meantime read this: User opinions / Nokian WR G4 - All-Weather tire / Nokian Tires

edit: actually these reviews seem to claim it is rather quiet: Just going off other reviews I recall; I don't know anymore...but its not a choice for us anyway: Michelin CrossClimate + tire Summary information from Consumer Reports

Last edited: