Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you be sending your car out on the robotaxi service?

Will you be sending your car out on the robotaxi service?

• Yes, my Model S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, my Model X

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Yes, my Model 3

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Yes, both (or all) of my Teslas

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Yes, my future Model Y/Cybertruck/etc

Votes: 4 7.4%
  • No

Votes: 42 77.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is the single best technology we should be investing in to prevent injury and fatalities on the road

Anything and everything we can do it get this into production we should be assisting with
Whether you agree with the vision of Elon Musk or not, the company he runs is arguably the furthest along with this
In addition he has also publicly stated that this won't be proprietary and will share the code with other companies at some point

So every argument made always revolves around what it costs, how much it costs me and what is the impact to me

What is one life worth whose death could have been prevented from a inattentive driver?
Actually there is no proof yet that driverless tesla will be injury free. It’s all conjecture and opinion.
From my experience, I havn’t yet crashed my model s, and yet the number of interventions I have to do just in cruise control to prevent a major accident is concerning....but I signed up for that in buying a tesla, again. (Which I do not regret). Does that mean I’m safer?
My basic computer OS (microsoft and apple) regularly have major dummy spits. Boeing’s ‘failsafe’ system had a major failure.....simply because humans design them.
Whilst humans either design, build, or drive a car, an accident is innevitable. Time will tell which of those is the bigger issue.

Reactions: Wol747
Actually there is no proof yet that driverless tesla will be injury free. It’s all conjecture and opinion.
From my experience, I havn’t yet crashed my model s, and yet the number of interventions I have to do just in cruise control to prevent a major accident is concerning....but I signed up for that in buying a tesla, again. (Which I do not regret). Does that mean I’m safer?
My basic computer OS (microsoft and apple) regularly have major dummy spits. Boeing’s ‘failsafe’ system had a major failure.....simply because humans design them.
Whilst humans either design, build, or drive a car, an accident is innevitable. Time will tell which of those is the bigger issue.

Did anyone say it will be injury free? I don't understand these objections people make in opposition of this.
It's not conjecture or opinion.. and I'm not just specific talking about Tesla. Autonomous vehicles governed by AI will surpass anything we are capable of and significantly reduce the rate of which incidents/accidents occur on the roads

Again not sure what you are trying to argue about having to take over? That's the whole purpose of trialing these systems and being apart of it, it needs to be taught situation in which it can do better and all the edge cases. We have to start somewhere and we have to consider the cost of enabling this technology. I would also argue yes in the current state of assisted driving you are safer than you would be without it and the more we use it, teach it, it can only get better
If you're argument is well I'm still better than it now so why should I bother is rather short sighted.

Same arguments about the cost. Nobody wants to think 10-20 years ahead about things that probably won't benefit them. The systems we are building now will be the foundation for people to enjoy while we are dead.
But just like in the comments here it is really a reflection on how this generation views it's needs and is less often willing to sacrifice at the cost of the greater good

Everything is inevitable, you either want to work preventing it at some of your own personal cost or you can say you don't really care about it because it doesn't directly affect you

Not being argumentative, but the "save one life" thing should mean, by logical conclusion, that the maximum speed of all private vehicles on public roads ought not be more than 25 mph. I mean, if such a speed limit saves one life...

Rich

Why stop at 25? Why not make it 20 or 15 or 10?

Not being argumentative either but what made you choose 25 as the maximum possible safest speed to prevent fatalities?
Are you sure it would?
It's the same thing other humans who control the speed limits on roads need to consider

How often does speed actually contribute to an accident?

There is so much nuance but we have the capacity to come up with solutions that encompass everything
Just need to take the time and have the diligence to complete such things

Why instead don't we engineer cars made of foam? Maybe crashing would be fun like bumper cars!

But for now we are making big metal death boxes, controlled by humans that get drunk, tired, lazy and stupid so that is what we should focus our attention on

>>It's not conjecture or opinion.. and I'm not just specific talking about Tesla. Autonomous vehicles governed by AI will surpass anything we are capable of and significantly reduce the rate of which incidents/accidents occur on the roads<<

It is exactly conjecture and opinion.

Reactions: paulp
It's not conjecture or opinion because I didn't say what he said that I did.. so it's nothing
You have zero proof that AI is going to be safer for cars. Its all theoretical opinion.
I’m not anti, and I suspect I bought tesla way before you. Just cant handle assumptions becoming fact before they are indeed fact.
But....one thing we can be sure of, human designed autonomous will not be permitted by authorities until its proven to be safer than human drivers.

Reactions: Hovean and Wol747
Above is your post that I responded to. You said it will “prevent injury”. So I think its safe to say you alone said it would be injury free, to answer your question.
It is not reasonable to say that "prevent injury" in this context implies "injury free". The poster didn't say "prevent all injury", after all.

The wearing of seatbelts also prevents injuries. That doesn't make them "injury free" either.

There are many technologies we could be investing in to improve road safety. It is clearly in the realm of opinion to say that autonomous driving is the most promising of these, but it's certainly a defensible opinion.

It is not reasonable to say that "prevent injury" in this context implies "injury free". The poster didn't say "prevent all injury", after all.

The wearing of seatbelts also prevents injuries. That doesn't make them "injury free" either.

There are many technologies we could be investing in to improve road safety. It is clearly in the realm of opinion to say that autonomous driving is the most promising of these, but it's certainly a defensible opinion.
Sorry I take ‘prevent injury’ as meaning it will prevent injury. If it wont do that then it shouldn’t be described as such.

You have zero proof that AI is going to be safer for cars. Its all theoretical opinion.
I’m not anti, and I suspect I bought tesla way before you. Just cant handle assumptions becoming fact before they are indeed fact.
But....one thing we can be sure of, human designed autonomous will not be permitted by authorities until its proven to be safer than human drivers.

Quite.
The interesting thing is - how will they "test" this? The REAL test would be actually letting it go in the real world without even manual controls - that would at least give statistical evidence even if it wasn't what the companies want! Having a human watching and ready to take over isn't the same thing.
I know it's harping on, but I'm a bit tired of the ongoing meme that XXX people are killed and injured every year (fact) but autonomy will cut this number right down (speculation).
The nearest comparison is with aircraft autopilots: they have to cope with computation and operation at least an order of magnitude simpler than FSD - probably a couple of orders - and are typically triplicated, have constant servicing and monitoring, highly trained engineering and operators. Contrast this with millions of FSD cars on "normal" roads, operated by your average Joe, maintained by ??? and regulated by???. OK, the consequences are much less, but then the hours driven will be hugely more.

Sorry I take ‘prevent injury’ as meaning it will prevent injury. If it wont do that then it shouldn’t be described as such.

I mean cafz couldn't have made it any clearer.. preventing injury doesn't mean injury free. If you can't understand that logic then it's obvious why you are still arguing about it

I know it's harping on, but I'm a bit tired of the ongoing meme that XXX people are killed and injured every year (fact) but autonomy will cut this number right down (speculation).
The nearest comparison is with aircraft autopilots: they have to cope with computation and operation at least an order of magnitude simpler than FSD - probably a couple of orders - and are typically triplicated, have constant servicing and monitoring, highly trained engineering and operators. Contrast this with millions of FSD cars on "normal" roads, operated by your average Joe, maintained by ??? and regulated by???. OK, the consequences are much less, but then the hours driven will be hugely more.

It's not a meme when it affects you. How many people that you love dearly have been killed by unavoidable accidents? What an insensitive thing to say
Even if it was purely speculation, in this hypothesis one could easily defend the position that autonomy will reduce the amount of injury and fatalities on the road, by the mere fact computers have been proven to when given enough information to surpass human ability. Look at the AI chess engines, starcraft AI etc all already surpassing our limits

Accidents caused by humans but not limited to being tired, drunk, inattentive and stupid are preventable. They are preventable by computers that don't have those issues

So you can do two things ..

1. Invest in the technologies and companies that are helping to solve these problems so no family has to mourn the loss of a loved one from a preventable accidents

2. Sit back in your air chair and gawk at it all calling it just memes, speculation and opinion while not actually offering any viable alternatives.. not only that have you done any actual research into how autonomous driving systems work? or even just AI theory in general?

Reactions: Techno-phile
Study on Crash Injury Severity Prediction of Autonomous Vehicles for Different Emergency Decisions Based on Support Vector Machine Model

This paper describes the effectiveness of an autonomous system in the event of an unavoidable head on collision for instance
There is a lot of data to go through and the results are positive.. basically the autonomous system can react better than only maybe a race driver could react to .. but they say the data is still limited and will require more to build a better model

Just imagine in this situation two autonomous cars that are communicating with each other. Let's say this head on collision was caused by a blown tyre and it sent a ping to all cars within a km of it to notify to slow down as it's having issues. In this scenario the accident would have been completely avoidable

If you take the time to really research the possibilities these systems can provide the knock on effects provide benefits to society far beyond just the prevention of accidents and injury

Reactions: Techno-phile