Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If not, you would never order FSD, even it were free. So tbh I’m not sure why you’re commenting on the topic to begin with.

The title of this topic is: Will you buy FSD before the $1000 increase on July 1st?

That said, I’m not sure why owners with FSD are commenting on this topic. I may be wrong, but I don’t think a single person has posted a “Yes, I’m going to buy FSD before the price goes up.” And I’m not surprised. If you can afford the $7000 and have already determined the features are not worth the asking price, I doubt the price increase will sway you. As somebody mentioned earlier, this should have been a poll because I’m reading post after post of “No, I won’t buy FSD in its current form” immediately followed by defensive-toned posts by owners with FSD justifying their purchases.

I apologize if someone wrote this, but why not give everyone a trial run of 30 days? Is it difficult to turn FSD on and off? I know some people say they have it for a while when they buy their car despite not paying for it and vice versa.
For some who get a taste of it they'll learn that they can't live without it. For others like me it will add nothing to their lives.
I think this is the point of the FSD subscription that Elon has mentioned. Why let you try it for free if they can charge you ~$100 to try it for a month? Also there is the consideration of those that don't have HW 3.0. I would imagine that there will still have to be some cost for upgrading the HW to the latest version, for those that have not paid for FSD and don't have the latest HW revision. This would also have to apply to those that have HW 3.0 once HW 4.0 is released, provided that HW 4.0 is required for FSD.

Just a reminder, as someone that lives in the same city as you I haven’t seen an issue with my wipers as you in well over a year. Best I can tell the solution is "clean your windshield", probably apply a product to aid in beading (to help keep it clean).

You missed the part where I said "auto" wipers. Yes, the wipers can wipe, but the auto wiper feature is garbage and if you rely on it, it's unsafe. If this is all news to you, please check this sticky:

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.

Reactions: jmatero
You missed the part where I said "auto" wipers. Yes, the wipers can wipe, but the auto wiper feature is garbage and if you rely on it, it's unsafe. If this is all news to you, please check this sticky:

MASTER THREAD: Auto Wiper functionality, complaints, praise, etc.
I didn't miss it. I'm talking about the Auto Wipers function. They've been great for me in Houston for way over a year. Clean and coat your windshield, it really helps a lot. At speed I've tested by manually turning the wipers off and it is still pretty good then when you do that, though still better with the Auto on.

And the rest of my post, anything to respond on that? Because you are more and more coming off as someone that, whether you actually drive a Model 3 or not, aggregate any negative experiences anywhere and make them your own.

Last edited:
The title of this topic is: Will you buy FSD before the $1000 increase on July 1st?

That said, I’m not sure why owners with FSD are commenting on this topic. I may be wrong, but I don’t think a single person has posted a “Yes, I’m going to buy FSD before the price goes up.” And I’m not surprised. If you can afford the $7000 and have already determined the features are not worth the asking price, I doubt the price increase will sway you. As somebody mentioned earlier, this should have been a poll because I’m reading post after post of “No, I won’t buy FSD in its current form” immediately followed by defensive-toned posts by owners with FSD justifying their purchases.

I just bought it, before the price increases... :)

Reactions: jmatero
In my Opinion if I have my car park itself pick me up and drive itself to and from work and to all other repeated locations I would be satisfied and I feel like the money I have spent has been well worth it. This would include long trips that would exit highway and park at a supercharger by itself.

I bought it last year, but like everyone else that paid for it earlier we are still waiting for a non-beta feature to be released.
The first release of traffic control barely qualifies as beta, more like pre alpha. I've run it for a little while but there are so many issues with it that I'm turning it off. Two biggest issues are using the same stopping distance regardless of speed, then there's that sticking to the speed limit which causes a real road hazard.
Smart summon is painfully slow to use and definitely still beta.
Everything else was delivered as part of EAP for my car

Last edited:
I wonder if part of the issue is the inability to adjust sensitivity.
Providing some sort of user preference sensitivity setting as a path to improving satisfaction makes sense to me. Rather than the current attempt of one-size-fits all. I couldn't say how easy that is, given that Tesla is going about this differently that anyone else ever has. Musk decided it was a task that they should dog-food their NN abilities on.
I'll give the coating a shot because I have to agree on the Autowipers... had them on multiple cars now and I wonder if part of the issue is the inability to adjust sensitivity. Any coating you recommend?
I used Rain-X but when I get around to replacing the windshield I plan to use the C-Bond product. The former has lots of competitors, the later is supposed to actually strengthen the glass surface. I hadn't come across C-Bond until well after taking ownership, and a cement truck fly-balled a huge rock onto the edge of the windshield so the angle of attack pretty much guaranteed a massive divot. I've got the spread stopped and it is kinda ok for now, but eventually I'm going to replace the glass.

I wonder if Elon will keeping doing free upgrades to HW 12.0 for FDS buyers or he will admit and give up on FDS before then.
I wonder the same thing! Since my upgrade cost was $4k, I figured this will be the lowest it will ever be for me (unless he offers another $2k sale, which isn't likely at this point). Now I just have to wait for the first HW3.0 upgrade and see what the future holds. At the moment I have faith the Elon/Tesla can do it, but I hear so many in this forum that don't think it will happen anytime soon, if at all. I can only hope that if Elon throws in the towel that there will be some recompense for those that forked out money to get it.

I didn't miss it. I'm talking about the Auto Wipers function. They've been great for me in Houston for way over a year. Clean and coat your windshield, it really helps a lot. At speed I've tested by manually turning the wipers off and it is still pretty good then when you do that, though still better with the Auto on.

And the rest of my post, anything to respond on that? Because you are more and more coming off as someone that, whether you actually drive a Model 3 or not, aggregate any negative experiences anywhere and make them your own.

Replying to your questions is super low on my priorities. Maybe one day I'll get to it.

• Disagree
Reactions: jelloslug
Replying to your questions is super low on my priorities. Maybe one day I'll get to it.
Yet you keep replying to me and posting here, repeating the same things over and over. LOL

Translation: You are full of BS, and you'd rather try avoid making that clear[er] by getting into details when called on it.

EDIT: You certainly are demonstrating no interest is solutions or gaining understanding enlightenment, or even really providing such. I guess that'd just impinge, in terms of time and credibility, on your whining and complaining?

Last edited:
So you claim (with broken math*). Yet I kept hearing claims that nobody would ever pay $7K for it up front (and back at $5K and $6K, etc), too, while it has continued to been a huge cash driver for Tesla.

* $8,000 at 3% over 60 months is $143.75/month.

People in the US like their monthly payments, especially if there's a way to opt out at some point. When presented with a $8K up front price tag, and were given say the option of $145, maybe $150 monthly on a minimum one or two year term commitment? Tesla doesn't even need to spend legal fees to put a lean on that. Yeah, you'll get bites.

No way someone would pay $150/mo indefinitely when they could just pay $8,000 up front, and roll it into their loan, and have it paid off after 5 years. The whole point of selling it as a service would be to make it a perpetual income stream that the consumer never actually owns. If you price it so high that it's basically the same, or more, then the current offering you're not going to attract more customers to the option.

I can't find the exact number right now, but IIRC during the Q1 call they said the uptake on FSD was less than 30%. Which means the vast majority of buyers aren't buying FSD. And I suspect that number will continue to go down as it gets more expensive. If they go to a software as a service model they'll have to charge significantly less, but they'll likely get more customers overall, evening it out. Plus if they sell as a service they don't have to worry about lawsuits if they under deliver on promises or take longer than expected to develop the technology. And they'll be able to realize the full income immediate, instead of the way they're doing it now where they only realize a portion of the income from FSD sales until they reach certain milestones in functionality.

There is a reason Adobe went from selling a copy of Photoshop for $900, to charging just $20/mo for it. They don't make as much sort term, but they make it more approachable, thus attracting more customers, and making more money long term.

I think if Tesla were to lower the price of the service to something reasonable, like $20-$30/mo, they'd attract a much larger percentage of customers and end up making more money long term then they make now selling it for one big lump sum up front to a small percentage of customers.

No way someone would pay $150/mo indefinitely when they could just pay $8,000 up front,
Who said indefinitely? In fact I explicitly said "one to two year commitment".

I can't find the exact number right now, but IIRC during the Q1 call they said the uptake on FSD was less than 30%. Which means the vast majority of buyers aren't buying FSD.
That's a...curious definition of "vast majority" you're using. Keep in mind that at $7K that represents about $12 million per week, that'll be somewhere around 5% of their total Model 3 cash flow. For just that feature, no extra hardware, extremely small overhead of flipping on the software flag and forgetting about it rather than keeping an active billing database and potentially having to flip it back off, along with the attendant customer support for that.

And if you undercut that with a cheaper per month you're cannibalizing upfront cash for steam on the backend. That isn't where Tesla is at, they still have lots of need for Capex.

P.S. Adobe was getting slaughtered with $50 fixed price and pirate competition, and you don't get the whole suite for $20.

Last edited: