Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fair point and I see where you are coming from. That's why I asked myself if I would be satisfied with my FSD purchase if it only delivered the 6 current features plus the promised "autosteer on city streets". I completely agree that buying something based on the hope of getting features that Tesla isn't even promising anymore is setting yourself up for disappointment.
I'm actually curious exactly what " Autosteer on city streets is". By the way they define autosteer on highways ... It's already capable of doing that on city streets and does even in basic Autopilot. I do believe they had promised more of that in the past. The rebranding could just be so they can recognize the deferred revenue quicker than what they previously promised.

I'm actually curious exactly what " Autosteer on city streets is". By the way they define autosteer on highways ... It's already capable of doing that on city streets and does even in basic Autopilot.

If you read the manual it's pretty explicit, multiple times, that it's not safe for, or intended for, use on city streets at all.

The fact it "sorta works there anyway" doesn't change that.

Elon has also mentioned by autosteer on streets they mean handle turns/intersections.

Reactions: not4antoher
If you read the manual it's pretty explicit, multiple times, that it's not safe for, or intended for, use on city streets at all.

The fact it "sorta works there anyway" doesn't change that.

Elon has also mentioned by autosteer on streets they mean handle turns/intersections.
Here is the official definition from Tesla's website

"Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control"

So it doesn't "kinda sorta work there"... It works on city streets. So at any point now, if Tesla wanted to say FSD was "complete" so they could recognize the revenue... They just have to remove the disclaimer that said to not use it on city streets.

Elon saying something in a tweet or interview would not be considered official.

The big question is.. They have changed the definition of FSD a ton over time. Will they roll the dice and say it's feature complete before delivering what the very early adopters were promised? I'm sure someone is running the numbers of potential exposure based on the number of original owners that are still out there. The longer they drag it out, the lower the number of people that still have the car that were promised more than "autosteer on city streets"

So it doesn't "kinda sorta work there"... It works on city streets.

This is completely wrong.

Model 3 owners manual page 100 said:
Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited access roads

Model 3 owners manual page 100 said:
Do not use autosteer on city streets, in construction zones, or in areas where bicyclists or pedestrians may be present

(bold added for clarity)

The manual mentions this several additional times beyond what I quote above.

The system can kinda work there anyway when the situation is close enough to like a highway, but it's explicitly not designed for such use and explicitly not intended for use there

This is completely wrong.

(bold added for clarity)

The manual mentions this several additional times beyond what I quote above.

The system can kinda work there anyway when the situation is close enough to like a highway, but it's explicitly not designed for such use and explicitly not intended for use there
Cool I guess it's magic that it works 100% according to the definition on city streets.

Seriously how many times can you be wrong. It's rather impressive

Like I said magic that it works then.

Except you're wrong yet again, because it doesn't actually "work"

It activates but it won't actually provide proper driving on city streets.

It'll keep going straight even if you're in a turn lane.

It'll go right through stop signs and red lights (using the AP only system you prefer) without someone else stopped in front of you.

It'll ignore yield signs

Best of luck if you come to a roundabout.

it'll also slam on the brakes for cross-traffic, including an oncoming car turning across your lane, even if they have plenty of time to clear your lane, because it has no idea WTF cross traffic is, because you're using it someplace it's not intended for use.

It'll also clip a parked park that's a little over into your lane because (and again the manual specifically calls this out) autosteer is not designed or intended to be used places with parked cars.

It'll be hit or miss if it clips a pedestrian or stroller or something in a crosswalk since it's explicitly not supposed to be used in places where those might be encounted.

I dunno if I'd call "it held the lane perfectly as it ran over that baby carriage" to be 'working', but I suppose you have a different perspective.

Dude. It's ok learn new info and realize you're wrong and learn to change your mind to fit new facts.

It's part of being an adult. An important part.

Especially when the people who built your car are the ones telling you you're wrong.

But from all your posts I'd about bet money you won't quit while you're behind and you'll just double down on being wrong about yet another thing no matter how much evidence is presented to you.

Last edited:
Like I said magic that it works then.

So if they just update the manual.. poof ... Autosteer on city streets is complete per their definition of autosteer that they list on their site.
The more I read your posts, the more I am reminded of this from George Bernard Shaw:

never-to-wrestle-with-a-pig.jpg