Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you buy FSD before the $1,000 increase on July 1st?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Understood, but also realize when you go to sell after a couple of years you can be either someone selling without FSD versus someone else selling the same car with FSD. Likely since FSD will be $8000 or more to add to your car the other person can sell the car for $8000 more then you can.

doubt that, because it won't be worth 8000 to the next person to have it on their used car that they might drive for 3 years.

ROFL

No, they most certainly are NOT. I've had Benz owners get in and sit and "oh, that's nice". The electric adjustable by itself puts outside of your stipulated category.

I'd do a quote build to show you, but Ford has discontinued the Focus....I assume you're working with a talking point list at least a few years old? ;)

Yea, they are and I just came from a benz with massaging seats, I'm not saying the seats are bad, but they are the same seats you would find in an upgraded regular vehicle, there is nothing super special about them. I think the seats in my 1996 Eclipse GSX were probably just as nice or nicer and they were leather.

• Disagree
Reactions: smatthew
Yea, they are and I just came from a benz with massaging seats, I'm not saying the seats are bad, but they are the same seats you would find in an upgraded regular vehicle, there is nothing super special about them.
Your claim was "budget", [and equivalent to a stripper Ford Focus, OMG]. Which is a load of horsepucky. Now you're moving the goal posts to "well, same as upgraded seats"? And "well, they aren't as good as those upgraded S and E class seats". Come on, man.

...and they were leather.
Oooo, actual-animal-died-for-this-leather. Living in the past, gramps.

Last edited:
Your claim was "budget", [and equivalent to a stripper Ford Focus, OMG]. Which is a load of horsepucky. Now you're moving the goal posts to "well, same as upgraded seats"? And "well, they aren't as good as those upgraded S and E class seats". Come on, man.

Oooo, actual-animal-died-for-this-leather. Living in the past, gramps.

ROFL, No leather you pay a premium for Vinyl is cheap, always has been, we can call it Vegan and act like its premium, but its cheap. And a Ford Limited edition or Mitsubishi eclipse is not what I call luxury and the seats were the same or better and leather.

ROFL, No leather you pay a premium for Vinyl is cheap, always has been, we can call it Vegan and act like its premium, but its cheap. And a Ford Limited edition or Mitsubishi eclipse is not what I call luxury and the seats were the same or better and leather.
Leather of dubious quality has very long been a thing, so by itself isn't really the differentiator you make it out to be. Plus even Benz is now using faux leather parts up into their E-class. Down in the "luxury compact" range where the Model 3 swims it is common thing.

And what of the rest of the post you quote? Willing now to muster up some character and choke down some crow?

So what would you pay for FSD? For me, I wouldn't pay anything for it. It's not that I'm against it but $7000-8000 is a lot of money no matter who you are for this feature. It's around 20% of the car for this and I credit Tesla with the fact that i did not have to buy it when i bought the car in 12/19.

For me to spend money on it, i'd have to try and it fall in love with it and perhaps i'd consider it on a subscription basis. That being said, it'd have to be so damn good that it was mind blowing. From what i can see, it's not there.

As an aside, for those of you who think subs are a fad or not going to stick around, that's wrong. I work for a very large IT hardware company and EVERYTHING is going the subscription model.

Why raising the price again now?

Because Tesla needs the money!

One can discuss all the parts of FSD, if its needed and so on. Thats what Tesla wants us to do. It prevents the real reason behind this; Q2 will be bad, with Tesla bleeding money. And therefore brings out the tools they have to reduce the bleeding.

The battery will be obsolete compared to what's out there.
1) Until then you have use of the features provided already, and what is added up until then. Pricing is ballpark inline with general automobile tech feature pricing, and very likely on par or better if others provided directly comparable features. About as close as it gets right now to a comparison is $5600 to add Super Cruise to a specific Cadillac model, and that is still pretty shaky comparison given it is very whitelist limited and such.
2) Regardless of whatever other battery is potentially available, 250 miles is still 250 miles (or wherever you pack is down to), and the utility of that is only going to increase as charger infrastructure continues to build out.
3) A battery pack swap/refurb is almost certainly going not going to affect the FSD option. Boom, another several hundred thousand miles life on your vehicle.

#2 does mean it is going to make more sense with LR vs SR or the LEMR, and whether or not you're personally in the market matters. Potentially #3, as well, as I'd expect pack upgrades to come to the larger vehicles first. They have the drive units to better make use of the better performance characteristics we'll see out of future batteries.

There is always the question of whether you care about the features, if there is value there for you (and if you have the $ on hand to acquire that value). But that's a different thing.

P.S. I would be entirely unsurprised to see Tesla add a subscription option for FSD at some point. But they've been slow on the lease front, too, so not sure Musk has got in his mind yet that he's willing to swap a pretty good cash up front stream (maybe 30% of vehicles sold adding the option) for the incremental extra overall sales but the cash coming in on delay. Cash up front maybe isn't as critical as it once was for Tesla but, especially given CoVid-19 production shutdown, it still matters a lot to them. They've got a lot of expansion plans that need capital.

Last edited:
This is what Tesla said about the network last year:

upload_2020-5-20_22-4-13.png

So you buy one of the most fun-to-drive cars around, then pay $8k for the privilege of being less involved in driving it. Makes perfect sense.
It does. Because holding in a straight line for an 1 hour or 3 isn't a whole lot of fun as a task. ;)

It is great, I get the roughly 10% of interesting parts. The vehicle handles the 90% monotonous parts. :)

It is exactly like this;

It does. Because driving in a straight line for an 1 hour or 3 isn't a whole lot of fun.
Which dynamic cruise control from a boat load of other manufacturers also handles and is becoming a standard feature (read: free) on those cars. The cost of Tesla's FSD is packaged with the hope that it will self-drive in the city to a great degree in the future. Which, if you bought a fun to drive car, why do you not want to drive it?

Which dynamic cruise control from a boat load of other manufacturers also handles and is becoming a standard feature (read: free) on those cars. The cost of Tesla's FSD is packaged with the hope that it will self-drive in the city to a great degree in the future. Which, if you bought a fun to drive car, why do you not want to drive it?
I tried driving with only the base AP features. It felt like I had an arm missing. And now with stoplights, rather than slipping out of and back into AP at each one? Yeah, no way I'd go back. No way.

EDIT: BTW I've long used this on "city" streets. Really pretty much anywhere that has painted lines (and occasionally extending into area with no painted lines, though that's uncommon).

P.S. If you don't think I do, and always have extracted an enormous amount of driving out of my vehicle you definitely should check into my posting history. ;) And I have done so well rested, for even better enjoyment, via use of EAP (which you now need FSD for).

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: MXLRplus