Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you share your Tesla?

Will you share your Tesla?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cannot seem to find the thread about car-sharing. Therefore, once more, the question whether you will share your Tesla with other users in some sort of car-sharing program that Elon Musk has been talking about. And by that, I mean of course lending it out to relative strangers (outside your family members) who will pay for using 'your Tesla'.

Last edited:
I'm planning on renting my MX to relative strangers through an online platform here in The Netherlands. I might setup some restrictions regarding age and their rental history, but other than that I'm looking forward to sharing this awesome machine and getting others excited about the electric future of transportation :)

No.

I don't believe in the "Sharing Economy" or much of the other nonsense coming out of Silly-Con Valley.

Sharing a car with strangers is beyond stupid if you ask me. I don't need some drunk teenager vomiting in my car, or someone lighting up a joint and hotboxing it, or some lawyer dragging a prostitute into the back seat. Plus, in the unfortunate event that the person borrowing it used it for a crime, the vehicle would likely be impounded and I would not get it back for a long time, if ever.

No.

I don't believe in the "Sharing Economy" or much of the other nonsense coming out of Silly-Con Valley.

Sharing a car with strangers is beyond stupid if you ask me. I don't need some drunk teenager vomiting in my car, or someone lighting up a joint and hotboxing it, or some lawyer dragging a prostitute into the back seat. Plus, in the unfortunate event that the person borrowing it used it for a crime, the vehicle would likely be impounded and I would not get it back for a long time, if ever.

If you change the word sharing with renting, what changes?

If you change the word sharing with renting, what changes?

Nothing. I don't rent my personal car to other people.

People do rent houses to each other, but typically people do not rent the house they are living in to a tenant. If I have a separate rental property, and a tenant trashes it, my personal residence and personal space isn't affected. I can throw the tenant's ass out and use their security deposit to pay for the cleanup. I can also do a background check on each tenant before renting: call their employer to verify employment, see their credit history, get references, and so on. With some random person who hails a ride share from an app, I probably can't do any of that (and wouldn't have time, nor would the rider likely have time to wait for an approval from me).

There is also the issue of personal property in my car. I keep a small toolkit and other emergency items in the cabin. Most people wouldn't take anything, but there are a small % who would pocket a useful item, and it might not go noticed for days. I'd have no practical way to track down and interrogate every person who rode in the car.

No, there are too many practical reasons not to participate in a ride share program. It is asking for trouble.

It sounds good on paper at first, but it is a dumb idea.

Reactions: James Anders
No.

Nothing. I don't rent my personal car to other people.

People do rent houses to each other, but typically people do not rent the house they are living in to a tenant. If I have a separate rental property, and a tenant trashes it, my personal residence and personal space isn't affected. I can throw the tenant's ass out and use their security deposit to pay for the cleanup. I can also do a background check on each tenant before renting: call their employer to verify employment, see their credit history, get references, and so on. With some random person who hails a ride share from an app, I probably can't do any of that (and wouldn't have time, nor would the rider likely have time to wait for an approval from me).

There is also the issue of personal property in my car. I keep a small toolkit and other emergency items in the cabin. Most people wouldn't take anything, but there are a small % who would pocket a useful item, and it might not go noticed for days. I'd have no practical way to track down and interrogate every person who rode in the car.

No, there are too many practical reasons not to participate in a ride share program. It is asking for trouble.

It sounds good on paper at first, but it is a dumb idea.

I think you are looking at this with quite the narrow mind. The point with shared mobility is to get from point A to point B, not have the vehicle and drive around where ever you please for as long as you like. People will know you can track the car which should cut all the nonsense out.

I think you are looking at this with quite the narrow mind. The point with shared mobility is to get from point A to point B, not have the vehicle and drive around where ever you please for as long as you like. People will know you can track the car which should cut all the nonsense out.

Not everyone is responsible or reasonable. I come from the perspective that people have to earn my trust over time. That makes any shared mobility scheme a non-starter.

Reactions: Ulmo
Things might change if Tesla comes out with something cheaper than a Model 3.

I doubt many S/X owners are going to want to share a $100,000+ car. It'll be as popular as battery pack swaps, and we all know what a resounding success that was.

Some owners of 3s would be more likely to share or rent.

If Tesla built a car in the $20K range I suspect people would be more willing to share/rent it out. In fact I can imagine some owners of S/X/3 cars buying multiple cheap post-3 cars to rent out all the time, to make a nice stream of income on the side :) I might even consider that.

Sharing schemes like this are not anonymous, people are held accountable for their actions. But that said, so far, I'm on the same side as the majority here, unless interiors become washable with a hose in the future or something. Today (with the old base headliner and textile seats) I even keep an eye on people I know, when they're in the car with me :p

Remember, we need to think about this in terms of the future capability of the car...not what's available today.

Think Fully Autonomous - which is when this program will actually be in effect. This means the Tesla will be driving itself, not someone else driving your car....they will simply be passengers. Don't want a drunk person in your car? Don't have your car working at 3am. Simple. You will still control when the car "works" for you.

I will absolutely do this from day one when I get a M3. Heck, I kind of do it now in my P85 driving occasionally for Uber and renting the car on Turo. Car still looks great...

Reactions: Pdub2015 and Ulmo
Remember, we need to think about this in terms of the future capability of the car...not what's available today.

Think Fully Autonomous - which is when this program will actually be in effect. This means the Tesla will be driving itself, not someone else driving your car....they will simply be passengers. Don't want a drunk person in your car? Don't have your car working at 3am. Simple. You will still control when the car "works" for you.

I will absolutely do this from day one when I get a M3. Heck, I kind of do it now in my P85 driving occasionally for Uber and renting the car on Turo. Car still looks great...

What about the drunk passenger at mid-afternoon who signals for an autonomous car? Or the sick child who barfs all over the backseat on the way to school? Or the family that hires out your robocar for a picnic at the park, and their dog poops all over the far back? Or the couple who carry their fast food with them and leave it all over the floor and seats, cooking for hours in the sun and ruining the leather? Bad stuff will happen at all hours not just 3am.

Reactions: Lex and Ulmo
This is just the type of opportunity that makes this potentially worthwhile, but not necessarily for every company or person: lots of problems that potentially can be solved, making it not easy for every company to succeed in the realm, but possible that some companies might.

In today's brainwashed anti-logic, no one is accountable, everyone is entitled, no one can be judged society, I don't see this working. But, let's assume that pendulum swings back the other way, enough that one can start doing some combo of the following:
  1. scoring the users (goes against the current trends of accountability and being judged)
  2. put cameras in the cars to make certain people are held accountable for their actions (goes against same current trends; even has laws against recording in California (!))
  3. Take a HUGE deposit before getting into the cars, so that any damage is paid for (this is still doable today, but rare: most people who might want to use these cars don't have a huge amount of money saved up, but perhaps this is just a decision they have to make, and a deposit level that works for each available car owner who rents will be found in the market by all involved)
  4. use AI to calculate the probability of problems for each pickup; the car sizes up the people approaching the rental, and zips off if they don't look up to snuff
  5. X-ray vision: if they are carrying a knife, bottle, pipe, cigar or other smoking implement, don't pick them up. Ditto on face grills, excess tats, crooked teeth, crooked unkempt clothing, etc. Perhaps the HEPA filter can take a "wiff", or a spectograph can take a quick look at their odors.
  6. Visual face recognition: find their Facebook, look at their postings, and friends' postings, and figure out how often they get smashed, and what time of day they get smashed at.
  7. I repeat my point #1: if we can score the users, making them furnish their driver's license (or identification card) every time, and verifying their ID with face recognition and perhaps also fingerprints, then we know their record.
  8. I could pre-approve each user by personal interview. What the heck? someone asks: yes. I can go door to door in my own neighborhood, sit down with each person, and figure out whether or not I think they are responsible enough to rent from me, and under what conditions (who they bring with them, what cargo and animals they bring, etc.) This could easily bring more than enough income, without having to go anonymous crazy nut case field of play. We don't have to think "Uber" every time we talk about the sharing economy.
  9. On the return trip, there might be people around who I haven't personally interviewed. Do I make use of shared judgement resources, or not? That is a value judgement I can make on my own: do I trust pooled value judgements? Which pools? Maybe my car brings them there, then waits for them, before bringing them back. Maybe after being alive for 30 years, I have personally interviewed enough people that the pool of users is large enough that there aren't that many empty legs.
You want to rent? The people renting to you will look you up, and require a lot of things. You want to buy? You pay more, and you can do what you want with it, within reason.

This is something the market can work out, as long as government and the anti-logic manifesto don't get in the way.

Until then, I agree with everyone else that says I don't want messy people in my car. This is relative to the cost and value of my car: if my car is worth Model S or X money: no way, ever. If it's worth Model 3 money: depends.

I could see this being a maturation process: a poor teenager decides they want to own their own car, and gets a used one, renting it out to friends. They quickly figure out that they can't trust all their friends, and they learn a little discipline, and this discipline gets spread around to some of the people they know, too. The next car they own costs a bit more, and they take better care of it, and have better friends. People grow up.

Will this all balance out, worth it to owners to rent out, ever, to a critical mass? We don't know. Buses are no good because they take forever, stink, disallow personal individualism, and can't safely carry cargo. Trains ditto. But, are rented cars the same? Obviously, rented cars carry some attributes from mass transit and some attributes from individual transit. No longer is sharing a vehicle often the domain of mass transit which shuttles welfare recipients around in a sort of maze of uselessness. Just what social structure will transport become, and will it be economical for this particular use? I think that's a decent question, and we don't have the exact answer right here right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: andrerodpt
Silly or not, Silicon Valley has been the nexus of innovation in this country (and arguably, the world) for the past half century and will likely remain so for the foreseeable future. ;)

(For the record, I have no desire to share my Model 3 when I get it)

Last edited:
Reactions: Carl
What about the drunk passenger at mid-afternoon who signals for an autonomous car? Or the sick child who barfs all over the backseat on the way to school? Or the family that hires out your robocar for a picnic at the park, and their dog poops all over the far back? Or the couple who carry their fast food with them and leave it all over the floor and seats, cooking for hours in the sun and ruining the leather? Bad stuff will happen at all hours not just 3am.

Ask Avis or Hertz how they deal with that.

Anyway... the clients will be accountable for any stuff they do to the car. At least be "flagged" as a trouble client and they won't be able to rent another car in the future.