Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind intrusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now that it is cold I have noticed this and have a service appointment for December 5th. It is almost like there is a window open very cold wind coming in about where your shoulder would be between the door panel and the support between the doors. I have attached a picture of where the air comes in. This happens but there is no wind noise.
I just realized that my MYLR 23 has the same issue. I took into the SC one but it did not resolve the issue. They did replace the seal and glass run but it did not resolve the issue.
I still get the cold air from outside (the weather was under 30F or even below 40F) coming through at the same location and over 60 mph on highway. I am planning to schedule another service apt.

22 MYLR end of September delivery at Fremont. Had this issue and it took the Service Center five visits to have a 99% resolution.

1st - Technician noted no duplication after test drive.

2nd - Door adjustment inward since it was a few mm off compared to the rear passenger door. Issue still present but not as much.

3rd - Body seals adjustment and issue worsened.

4th - Secondary seal adjustment which is the long seal that goes from the window all the way around (but I knew it wasn’t done based on the position of it).

5th - Service Lead agreed to just replace the secondary seal and move it inward as requested to ensure a tighter seal.

When trucks especially pass by I don’t feel much air intrusion anymore. I’d say it’s like 1% which I feel is a lot more normal, the best way to describe it is like very little air feeling near the top of the door trim.

Be persistent, ask for the Service Lead or Manager.
Thanks for the tips. I have the same issue with my MYLR 23 (picked up on December 1st). I will book another service apt since the first one (Dec 12) did not resolve the issue.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Not sure if this could be related. I had a very annoying whistle at highway speeds that I would hear by the driver’s side window and windshield. I took it in to get serviced and took the guy for a ride to confirm it. They ended up replacing part 1495632-00-B which is the black triangular part of the side mirror trim that attaches to the car. Somehow wind was getting in through that and making a whistling inside the car. It’s completely gone now.

I have the same issue with my 2022 MYLR July build in Fremont.

As season gets cold and temp between inside and out become apparent, I started to notice the outside wind intrusion. Whenever truck pass by on highway I can feel wind intrusion around the b pillar. And I was able to detect wind drift on driver side lower left area where the seat adjustments are located.
What I have found was that potential secondary weather seal issue? With very light force, I was able to easily slide off the secondary weather seal from the driver side. It really slided out easily without any force. It almost feel like as if there's grease applied not glue. However, passenger side and rear doors needed some force to slide out the weather seal and have very snug fit. See the image attached.
Is there no glue or glue like substance to hold the secondary weather seal to the car frame? Im thinking if snug fit without any glue like substance is normal (apparently, driver side will be a still issue as it is not a snug fit) or my car is not normal.
I hope this would be the result of wind intrusion and going to mention at my SC visit on 1/4.

Let me know if anyone is experiencing similar issue with easy slide off secondary weather seal and could this be the main contribution to general wind intrusion.

Attachments

• A7468213-A16D-4F6B-804D-1AB539093EFA.jpeg
    A7468213-A16D-4F6B-804D-1AB539093EFA.jpeg
    390.3 KB · Views: 187
  • 38434C78-3F4F-47AA-9EE5-E928567A0C38.jpeg
    38434C78-3F4F-47AA-9EE5-E928567A0C38.jpeg
    335.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Recently wrote my experience and comments about the wind intrusion

Now that it is cold I have noticed this and have a service appointment for December 5th. It is almost like there is a window open very cold wind coming in about where your shoulder would be between the door panel and the support between the doors. I have attached a picture of where the air comes in. This happens but there is no wind noise.
Same area mine leaks are in as well. Notice it at highway speeds, especially in cold and when large vehicles pass the other direction.

It’s likely the door secondary seal, it runs vertical. If it’s not inward enough, there will be a gap when the door is closed and not create a tight enough seal.
What exactly do you mean by " door secondary seal" ?
Can you take a picture of this?
I have replaced the entire rubber seal going around the entire door and did numerous other adjustments. Can't seem to totally eliminate the high speed wind noise that sounds like it's near my left ear while driving.

I have same wind intrusion on Hwy speeds. Now the weather is colder, I noticed more.
Below pictures shown are the rear doors seals showing gaps at the lower area of the rear doors against the B pillar. Is this normal?

Attachments

• PXL_20231017_184247729~2.jpg
    PXL_20231017_184247729~2.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 70
  • PXL_20231017_184200878~2.jpg
    PXL_20231017_184200878~2.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 64
I just examined my Feb 22 Freemont Model 3P.
I don't see a gap in that area. If there is any gaps, quite small.
There is dust that stops at the seal, so I think the seal might be working.
I've read this entire thread and some are saying their seals are loose in places.
A good rubber weather strip adhesive should cure this.
I'll try to do more detailed examination with more time.
I just took my longest trip in the car. About 12 hours each way, including stops.
The car is generally noisy. There is air and road noise intrusions all around the car.
I'm planning to add weatherstripping and inspect and seal any that have come loose.
The major problems I've been trying to solve is the seal between the window and the body. I think it is a bad design. The window is curved and doesn't fully flatten when closed. The rubber seal is unable to maintain even pressure all around. Temperature and other factors can make it better or worse. That seal is also just pressed fitted with no glue at all and frequently comes loose. I've had it serviced and they replaced both entire door / window seals. They were not installed correctly and even when install it correctly There are still gaps. I measure the gaps with a business card or other similar thin object or paper.
It's difficult to see your picture but it kind of appears the rubber glue isn't holding it into position.
Do you see any visible evidence the dust has gone past that seal?
Have you tried to slip paper? But in any case, if it's obviously loose, then it should be fixed.

I just examined my Feb 22 Freemont Model 3P.
I don't see a gap in that area. If there is any gaps, quite small.
There is dust that stops at the seal, so I think the seal might be working.
I've read this entire thread and some are saying their seals are loose in places.
A good rubber weather strip adhesive should cure this.
I'll try to do more detailed examination with more time.
I just took my longest trip in the car. About 12 hours each way, including stops.
The car is generally noisy. There is air and road noise intrusions all around the car.
I'm planning to add weatherstripping and inspect and seal any that have come loose.
The major problems I've been trying to solve is the seal between the window and the body. I think it is a bad design. The window is curved and doesn't fully flatten when closed. The rubber seal is unable to maintain even pressure all around. Temperature and other factors can make it better or worse. That seal is also just pressed fitted with no glue at all and frequently comes loose. I've had it serviced and they replaced both entire door / window seals. They were not installed correctly and even when install it correctly There are still gaps. I measure the gaps with a business card or other similar thin object or paper.
It's difficult to see your picture but it kind of appears the rubber glue isn't holding it into position.
Do you see any visible evidence the dust has gone past that seal?
Have you tried to slip paper? But in any case, if it's obviously loose, then it should be fixed.
Hi George,
The gaps shown above are massive... At least five mm in some area. Do you mind checking your car if you have same condition. Check the seal location by viewing it from the lower B pillar while the rear doors are close.

There was a weird incident last week.
The lawn care person has cut the grass and my car was parked beside ithe lawn( car facing house). They had a small lawn mower and lead blower as well.
After a few hours, when my spouse got into the passenger seat, there were some grass clippings and dust all over the seat. This confused me. I don't remember leaving the windows open and also, windows go all the way up when locked.

I don't have significant gaps in that particular weather strip rubber.

I checked the mate of the door's weather strip rubber against the body at the B pillar for both back doors.

As far as design and original intention and what could go wrong there.
It appears to be glued (that is a guess, I did not try to pull it off the door to check) to the door and fits at the top edge of the car's body curve there. The rubber does have a "slot" but it's not through. I think it's just designed to move and compress better. If the gap is on the door side, then the adhesive has either not been properly and evenly applied or it failed. If the gap is on the car's body curve side, then it's some kind of miss alignment. Or some combination of both. If the weather strip rubber isn't properly glued, it will come out of position against the door, and might open gaps on either side. I would check the glue by lightly moving it with fingers and see if it opens any more or less on the door side of the rubber.

That problem should be covered by warranty. It looks like a build problem to me. If not, you should be able to compensate with the proper adhesive and by adding additional weather stripping that the factory one might mate against.

I also tried to slip a thin paper through and cannot.
I checked again and the dust stays on the outside of this particular weather strip rubber.
So I think, while not perfect, does the job as intended.

My door's hinge cannot be adjusted.
Check that the door closes fully and properly. The other end where the door's latch is can be adjusted some.

Last edited:
I dropped of the MY today at the SC for the misaligned seals.
I also added the issue of wind intrusion on the driver side when at speeds in excess of 75kph. Whenever a car passes on the left going same direction, I feel a significant wind draft on left side.

Now, SC has let me know that since my Windows are tinted, they will not cover this under warranty. I'm not sure how window tint has to do with excessive wind intrusion. The glass or door was not modified during tint install. I Have recieved an estimate of $250. I'm happy with this excuse. I thought warranty can only voided if it is proven that the alteration has caused the issue. I don't see tint or even the process of putting the tint could cause the excessive wind intrusion.