Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wind noise at 70+mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model S (2013) seems to have very audible wind noise coming from the driver's side when driving above 70 mph (and getting significantly louder at 75+). It is kind of like the sound that you would hear if the window was just slightly cracked open at that speed, but I've felt all along the window seams and not felt any air coming in.

I'm not sure if it could be coming from air moving around the mirror, or through the front-truck or what? I thought maybe I was being over sensitive but the other day even my passenger asked "is the window open? what is that noise?".

I don't think I'd normally even think twice about it other than knowing that the model s is usually known for great sound dampening and low air drag. Any thoughts about what this sound is coming from?

I've had it in both my Model S 2015 and 2018. I've had different SCs muck around with the seals and resetting this and that. Once or twice it got better but not perfect. Then they fixed it again and it got worse. After a while I just learned to live with it when in "acceptable" range (my acceptable). I'd suggest going to the SC and let them know. It's a known issue on the S given the position of the mirrors, frameless windows, seals, high speeds, and lack of a motor to drown out the noise. When you get to your "accepable" range I'd suggest stopping or the next time it could go backwards as it's all art from what I can see. Not one simple fix. Just a lot of adjusting.

Ahhhh that's great to know. Honestly as long as it doesn't mean something is "wrong" then I'm fine. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't off or there wasn't a gap in anything. If it's normal I can certainly live with it.

Ahhhh that's great to know. Honestly as long as it doesn't mean something is "wrong" then I'm fine. I just wanted to make sure something wasn't off or there wasn't a gap in anything. If it's normal I can certainly live with it.

Of course something is wrong. Tesla uses crappy seals for their crappy frameless windows.

The level of noise would not be acceptable for any other vehicle in its price range.

(Mine makes the same noise and it’s maddening)

Same situation on mine. I did a test a while back to subjectively evaluate the wind noise level at different speeds...
Noise became noticeable at 65
Increased until 80 or so
At 90, it became a howl and increased with speed
At 120, it started buffetting and making quite a racket
At 140, I had to stop testing...red lights in the rear view mirror
Since I got my license back, I have no plans to repeat testing
Or... maybe I skipped my meds this morning. Let me check. Oh yeah. Sorry.

You probably need to move your window(s) forward a bit. The SC should know (how) to do this. There is also a little insert they can put in the little forward triangle window pillar that will alleviate this symptom as well. I've had it done to two cars and it fixed the problem for the most part on both of them (Model X and Model S). Just had the S done yesterday, as a matter of fact.

• Informative
Reactions: George II and bredi
You probably need to move your window(s) forward a bit. The SC should know (how) to do this. There is also a little insert they can put in the little forward triangle window pillar that will alleviate this symptom as well. I've had it done to two cars and it fixed the problem for the most part on both of them (Model X and Model S). Just had the S done yesterday, as a matter of fact.

How much was that repair.?

How much was that repair.?

I can't answer for Naonak, but I got this problem fixed by my service center! They re-did the seals around the windows/doors on the driver side and the little triangle window pillar specifically was the main culprit. I have the extended service agreement so it was all covered under that. It's been a million times improved since then.

While driving, gently stick your finger between the seal on the fixed glass (triangular glass) and the window. If it gets louder, it's usually the primary door seal. They'll probably insulate the seal if that's the case. A window adjustment may also be performed and a few other things.

My Model S (2013) seems to have very audible wind noise coming from the driver's side when driving above 70 mph (and getting significantly louder at 75+). It is kind of like the sound that you would hear if the window was just slightly cracked open at that speed, but I've felt all along the window seams and not felt any air coming in.

I'm not sure if it could be coming from air moving around the mirror, or through the front-truck or what? I thought maybe I was being over sensitive but the other day even my passenger asked "is the window open? what is that noise?".

I don't think I'd normally even think twice about it other than knowing that the model s is usually known for great sound dampening and low air drag. Any thoughts about what this sound is coming from?

I have a 2016 Model S and every once in a while this occurs. I clean with soap and water and massage the rubber seal with my hands to make them more flexible and seal better. Call me crazy, but it seems to work. Cheap fix if it works