Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window keeps coming down when trying to go up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I've had the car it's had an odd behavior. Sometimes when I am driving with my driver side window all the way down, and pull the button to raise the window, it will go up 3-4 inches then come back down right away. This happens both if I do a full pull of the button (which normally makes window go all the way up), or if I do a half pull and hold it in that position. In either case, window goes up partially then comes back down right away, instead of going all the way up.

When this happens, I have to release the button and pull it again, and sometimes the window will then work correctly, and sometimes it does the drop again. Usually after a few tries it finally goes up.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Normally I would just get mobile service to fix, but I have trouble reproducing it consistently, so hoping you guys can help narrow down the cause. Strangely enough it seems to only happen when car is in motion, I have not been able to reproduce it when car is stopped. Not sure if that is a clue or not.

Reactions: JBAR
Ever since I've had the car it's had an odd behavior. Sometimes when I am driving with my driver side window all the way down, and pull the button to raise the window, it will go up 3-4 inches then come back down right away. This happens both if I do a full pull of the button (which normally makes window go all the way up), or if I do a half pull and hold it in that position. In either case, window goes up partially then comes back down right away, instead of going all the way up.

When this happens, I have to release the button and pull it again, and sometimes the window will then work correctly, and sometimes it does the drop again. Usually after a few tries it finally goes up.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Normally I would just get mobile service to fix, but I have trouble reproducing it consistently, so hoping you guys can help narrow down the cause. Strangely enough it seems to only happen when car is in motion, I have not been able to reproduce it when car is stopped. Not sure if that is a clue or not.

I'll bet that the safety sensor (motor torque/force) is being tripped. First, run the window down and look in the window track for any dirt or debris that might be jamming the window.

Try this:

Press and hold the window down button until it reaches the bottom (hopefully it does) and keep holding the button for a few seconds after the window opens.
Then pull the window up button and hold it (do not release) and hold it for a few seconds after the window closes.
Now press and release the window down--does the window go the bottom by itself?
Then pull and release the window up--does the window go up and close by itself?

If this does not work, then, yes, time for a visit by the Rangers or a visit to your service center.

Reactions: xanatos
Could be that the window needs to be reset. Sit in the car with the door closed. Put the window all of the way down. Lift and hold the button to close and keep holding a couple of seconds after the window reaches the top.

Second thing that can make the window screwy is apparently the puddle lights can affect the operation. At least that's what I remember reading in one of the threads here. Double check and make sure that the connection to the light is secure. You can pry out the assembly with a screwdriver, if you're careful, or a spudger.

Reactions: xanatos
I'll bet that the safety sensor (motor torque/force) is being tripped. First, run the window down and look in the window track for any dirt or debris that might be jamming the window.

Try this:

Press and hold the window down button until it reaches the bottom (hopefully it does) and keep holding the button for a few seconds after the window opens.
Then pull the window up button and hold it (do not release) and hold it for a few seconds after the window closes.
Now press and release the window down--does the window go the bottom by itself?
Then pull and release the window up--does the window go up and close by itself?

If this does not work, then, yes, time for a visit by the Rangers or a visit to your service center.

I had this problem today for the first time; when I got in my car and wanted to roll up the window, it went down instead of up. Second try, it went up 1/3 of the way and then down again! By the 3rd try, it worked. I think they told me that when you first get in the car, it takes a bit of time for the systems to fully boot up, but I've had the car since the end of last year and this was the first time it happened.

Unfortunately, during torrential rain a couple of months ago, I came out to the parking lot from my gym to find the driver window down 1/3 of the way and the interior of the driver's area soaking wet. They were able to see on their time stamp that it had rolled down of it's own accord after I left the car. They changed a part in the panel and it hasn't happened since.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
I also had this problem with my driver window. It was intermittent, sometimes occurring around 70% of the time, sometimes not recurring for weeks.

The first time I mentioned this to service, they were able to reproduce the problem on their first attempt. They explained that it merely required re-calibration, which they performed. However, after I drove home, it continued to occur.

I mentioned it again at my following service visit despite some difficulty reproducing it for them, and they replaced the window regulator. It has been 100% reliable since.

I’ve had this happen, due to the wipers. When you park the car and don’t turn off the wipers then when you open the door again the wipers make a sweep, pushing a load of water into the drivers door window, which then goes into the window switch buttons and causes these issues for me, which go away once it’s dried out. I live in Western Oregon where it’s rainy in the winter and this happens often. They really need to fix this (or I need to do a better job of remembering to touch the blue button to turn off the wipers before I get out of the car).

I just went to the service center today, they wouldn’t able to duplicate the issue.... they were giving me a crazy look face. issue is annoying goes up a few inches and then down.. they want me to basically have an accurate time of when the issue happens so they can review the car log.

Just starting the thread up again. I have the same issue where driver side window when fully open will go up a couple of inches and then drop back down when I try to close it. I followed the window reset technique and it has not solved my problem. Did anyone find a different solution?