Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

window keeps coming down when trying to go up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ever since I've had the car it's had an odd behavior. Sometimes when I am driving with my driver side window all the way down, and pull the button to raise the window, it will go up 3-4 inches then come back down right away. This happens both if I do a full pull of the button (which normally makes window go all the way up), or if I do a half pull and hold it in that position. In either case, window goes up partially then comes back down right away, instead of going all the way up.

When this happens, I have to release the button and pull it again, and sometimes the window will then work correctly, and sometimes it does the drop again. Usually after a few tries it finally goes up.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Normally I would just get mobile service to fix, but I have trouble reproducing it consistently, so hoping you guys can help narrow down the cause. Strangely enough it seems to only happen when car is in motion, I have not been able to reproduce it when car is stopped. Not sure if that is a clue or not.
I have the same problem. Tesla
Adjusted the safety sensor. No charge. Tesla replaced the door panel and window switch. No change. I give up.

Driver side window. 8000 miles since Sep 2018. SW 20.4.2but has happened on all sw versions.

I have the same or similar. The very first time I try to roll the window up on a drive this happens 100% of the time. Subsequent times though, it always works. I was in for service today and they said it was a calibration issue, but even after they calibrated, it still happens. They recommended having mobile support come out and replace the regulator. Will try that next.

We do not have tinted windows.

The passenger side door exhibited this behavior after the car was about 3 years old. (2014 Model S) The ranger arrived and discovered that the small pad that was adhered to the inside door panel had lost its adhesion. The pad was curled over and would interrupt the window as it was rolling up. This slight resistance would then trigger the motor to roll the window down.

The ranger replaced everything with new! improved! components and better adhesive on the protective pad. No further problems.

Might be worth a shot. We know that Tesla from time-to-time chintzes on some of the less important components, and they be using cheap adhesives again.

Reactions: Tz00
I started having this problem too after 15,000 miles. Actually it first happened if I tried to close the window going over a speed bump. I would lower the window to enter the parking lot and show my id badge, then raise the window but at the same time drive over a speedbump at the parking lot entrance. I assumed it was related to that. Now though, even when stopped or driving the window will go up and then maybe 3" from the top lower again.

Unfortunately we have the same problem with the driver window in our 2019 Model 3.
A reset/calibration of the windows switch and the latest update (2021.32.10) did not bring any improvement.
Is there a solution or does the window regulator have to be replaced.
Thank you very much for your help.
Greetings from Germany, Philipp :)

Unfortunately we have the same problem with the driver window in our 2019 Model 3.
A reset/calibration of the windows switch and the latest update (2021.32.10) did not bring any improvement.
Probably have to be replaced. I went into service 2-3 times for that and nothing they did fixed it until they replaced something.

Reactions: PhilippDen
Me, too. Did the DIY reset. Then took it in for this and other issues. They reset something but it didn't solve the issue. It's going to start raining for the next 8 months. I have to key card in and out of work.... One of the other issues was the phone key not working all the time. It doesn't unlock about 20% of the time unless I opened up the app, which can take more than a few seconds. The SA said that it sounds like its working as expected...

Ever since I've had the car it's had an odd behavior. Sometimes when I am driving with my driver side window all the way down, and pull the button to raise the window, it will go up 3-4 inches then come back down right away. This happens both if I do a full pull of the button (which normally makes window go all the way up), or if I do a half pull and hold it in that position. In either case, window goes up partially then comes back down right away, instead of going all the way up.

When this happens, I have to release the button and pull it again, and sometimes the window will then work correctly, and sometimes it does the drop again. Usually after a few tries it finally goes up.

Wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Normally I would just get mobile service to fix, but I have trouble reproducing it consistently, so hoping you guys can help narrow down the cause. Strangely enough it seems to only happen when car is in motion, I have not been able to reproduce it when car is stopped. Not sure if that is a clue or not.
Mine does this too. It seems to do it when the window is going up and I’m turning left or right at any degree. Maybe a safety feature so I can see my side mirror?

I also have that problem with sometimes needing to both unlock the phone and open the app. This did not happen until about maybe 6 months ago.
I did have the window problem, which was minor tbh, but it has recently stopped happening.

So I know this is just a temp fix, but we took our air compressor hose and some plastic wedgers and blew into the areas between both sides of the window. It never worked before doing this, and now it is. I don't know if something was stuck in there, but have gone up and down like 10 times and its still working. Might be worth a try for some of you.