TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

window tint

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ilikebeef, May 16, 2018.

1. ilikebeef

ilikebeef Member

I know there is a discussion on wrapping the car vs ceramic coating but wanted to start a separate thread for window tinting. Does anyone have any recommendations on what brand of tints to get and any recommendation places in the GTA to get this done?

Also from my understanding, I believe in Ontario, the darkest tint we can get is 30 - 35%. Let me know if I am wrong.

Thanks in advance!!

• Like x 2
  2. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I believe Ontario is NO tint allowed on front windshield, 75% visible light transmission on front seat side windows (tinted 25%) and whatever you want on the rear seat side and back windows.

• Like x 1
  3. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

I am also looking for options in GTA

• Like x 1
  4. jshear

jshear Member

Me too let us know if anyone has found a good place for window tinting.

Cheers

Jeff

5. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

I would like some referrals as well. I want someone who can do the back window in one piece.

I know way back when people used to praise Audio Heaven in Richmond Hill. Haven't kept up with the crowd to know what other good shops are out there.

• Like x 1
  6. johndorian

johndorian Member

Had my first car tinted at D-works Auto Tint & Detailing in Newmarket and they did a top notch job in just a few hours. Of course the tricky part will be getting a shop to do the rear window tint in one piece so it doesn't look like crap.

7. Viv ki Bijli

Viv ki Bijli Member

Any recommendations in West GTA for tinting?

8. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Just to let those in Ontario know, there is no set percentage limit on tint. It can’t ‘unreasonably obscure the interior’. It’s subjective to the officer that pulls you over.

9. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

Actually there is a limiting law. Zero tint on the front windshield. 70 VLT (visible light transmission) front side windows and anything you want on the rear sides and back windows.

Ontario cyclists say new tinted window laws could stop 'Russian roulette' on roads | CBC News

10. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Actually, the law is the same for the windshield and the front side windows.

Colour coating obscuring interior
    (3) No person shall drive on a highway a motor vehicle on which the surface of the windshield or of any window to the direct left or right of the driver’s seat has been coated with any coloured spray or other coloured or reflective material that substantially obscures the interior of the motor vehicle when viewed from outside the motor vehicle. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 73 (3).

11. Towner

Towner Member

I wanted mine done in one piece as well but the shop I went to wasn't able to do it and I honest didn't want to search around. It actually turned out pretty good as a two piece and I doubt many would notice without looking really hard. It just looks like another element for the defrost.

DUB IR 20% all the way around - Did not tint the main front sunroof

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  12. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Looks pretty good. Where did you get it done?

13. Towner

Towner Member

Unique Auto Tinting in Scarborough - McCowan and Sheppard area. I had not used them before but the ratings were pretty high. Im sure I could have shopped around a bit but the shop looked clean and I felt like they take what they do very serious. Happy with the results

• Informative x 1
  14. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

The number one thing a defendant with a tint charge says to me is ‘the shop said 70% was legal’. I’m sure they are the reason that so many people think there is a limit. That and the media. They get it wrong often too:)

Anyhow, the way the law is written, what’s too dark for one officer is fine for another. There is no hard limit.

15. RedM3

RedM3 Member

Anyone else that have tint done? Also with one piece rear tint? Looking for one, as one shop didn't want to touch the 3 due to complicated electronics / concerned about the frameless windows.

16. sakimano

sakimano Active Member

Are you saying there ISN'T a 70% tint law in Ontario? To be clear 70% means 70% light transmission, why h is barely even tinted at all. Most people get tint at levels of 30% or darker. Someone in this thread just said they got 20% all around.

I'm reasonably sure that 70% is the new standard...enforcement of the new standard, that's another story.

17. enwhy

enwhy Member

Nice, thanks. Good to exactly what i'll be getting.

18. DekiTM3

DekiTM3 Member

I am getting my tint done with Hamza at Get Detailed in Thornhill. They do PPF and ceramic coatings as well.
    35% all around, 70% front windshield. Back window is 1 piece. I chose Xpel prime xr window film.
    Can't wait to get the Silver Surfer back this week!

• Like x 1
  19. Insilin

Insilin Member

Do you know how much the side windows a lone cost to do?

20. ilikebeef

ilikebeef Member

are you getting just the back window tinted or also the sunroof all in one piece? I just contacted someone from Get Detailed and they said they don't tint those windows "because the installers advise against it"