Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting caused "Blindspot Detection Limited" alert

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI: Problem when tinting windows

Yesterday I had the windows tinted on my new Model 3. After leaving the shop, I immediately got a warning to the effect: "Blindspot Detection Limited, Camera Visibility Reduced". This warning would not go away and I was unable to use my Autopilot at all. At first I thought it was because I choose a front tint that was too dark. But that didn't make sense because you wouldn't think the blindspot cameras were inside the car.

After a few hours of sitting in the sun, and several trips, the warning went away. Apparently some moisture had gotten into wherever the blindspot cameras are located and then dried enough to turn off the alert. I did notice that the area under the plastic housing surrounding the base of the rearview mirror on the front windshield was completely saturated with water. I don't understand how an area that looks forward can detect the blindspots, but that seems to be what happened. When that area dried out, the alert cleared.

A fellow Model 3 owner got her car done at the same time and shop as mine, and she didn't get the alert. So I guess my installer was just too liberal with the water.

Nothing in the window tint process should interfere with the cameras if done correctly. As for the front windshield the area for the front camera should be cut out and not tinted.
came here to say this. additionally aren't the blindspot detection cameras on the sides of the car? does it use the forward facing cameras to detect blindspots?

came here to say this. additionally aren't the blindspot detection cameras on the sides of the car? does it use the forward facing cameras to detect blindspots?

I do not believe front facing cameras have anything to do with blind spot detection which makes tint causing a problem even more perplexing. Hopefully they didnt' dump a lot of water into the dash.

Did yours go away? I just got tint on all windows and ppf on the full front (cameras were removed temporarily) and I'm getting this error. Let me know, thanks!

yes. issue was related to sentry mode. since sentry mode was running through out of the 3days ( while the car was at the shop) , i got the blind spot error. i powered down my car and stayed inside for 10min and then started back up. All is well now

There are many issues with Sentry mode running all the time which wont lead the car to sleep properly at night and run purge jobs thus we got these errors ..

Just a heads up. I posted this as a reply to a tiny question a few months ago.

I was told by the Rocklin service center here in California that they have had owners come in with fried computers from the moisture used when installing the windshield tint. This is one instance where Tesla will not cover damages. I was also told this was a major issue when Tesla first launched and has become more increasingly rare as business are learning from the mistakes. They also told me the tint has caused rare issues with the cameras. They basically stated that if there is an issue with the autopilot and/or the calibration of the cameras, they will blame it on the window tint and not cover any associated cost.

Just a heads up. I posted this as a reply to a tiny question a few months ago.

I was told by the Rocklin service center here in California that they have had owners come in with fried computers from the moisture used when installing the windshield tint. This is one instance where Tesla will not cover damages. I was also told this was a major issue when Tesla first launched and has become more increasingly rare as business are learning from the mistakes. They also told me the tint has caused rare issues with the cameras. They basically stated that if there is an issue with the autopilot and/or the calibration of the cameras, they will blame it on the window tint and not cover any associated cost.
FWIW i've contacted three window tinting shops in my area. one is a traditional shop that did my last car. standard metallic tint, zero issues. i went to them first and they immediately responded that they will not work on Teslas for the reasons you mentioned above.

i contacted a "higher end" detailing/installer that's contracted with Tesla and they have the installation down. he explained how they use less water/cover areas, etc.

the third place was similar to the second but does not have the contract.

my advice to anyone looking for tint, do your research first, ask around and ask the dealer if they have any recommendations.

Well first of all the shop shouldn't have tinted over the windshield's front facing cameras. That should have been cut out of the tint. That's idiotic if they tinted over the cameras. That is going to degrade the camera and photocell performance pretty bad. It's not causing your blindspot problem, but it will cause other issues for you like not seeing lines or obstructions.

Second, the problem with the side cameras and blind spot detection was certainly water getting into the the electronics. The water will run down the wiring harnesses, getting into any number of things that have nothing to do with the windshield. So this tint shop not only tinted over your front sensors and cameras, they also failed to manage the water to protect the electronics.

Managing the water to prevent it from getting down the dash to the electronics is not a special skill. There are soaker rops made for this. And any tint shop that isn't completely stupid knows how to do it. They may not want the risk regardless. But the methods exist to prevent this.

I wouldn't use that shop for anything anymore. They almost cost you thousands of dollars of out of pocket repairs.