Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window Tinting - Possible Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve just had a quote from a tinting company that seems more than reasonable for all five rear windows (main one done in one piece). Whilst speaking with him he mentioned that if we needed to remove the tint at any point it can result in the delisted being pulled off at the same time (I assumed this was embedded in the glass but it doesn’t sound like that’s the case). Has anyone had any issues with this at all?

P.S. I don’t imagine we’d ever remove it but I’m just thinking about if we ever had an issue etc.

Reactions: M1tch
Yes, the rear defrost wires are on the inside of the rear panel. If you remove the tint (bubbling, installation error, new legal regulation, etc), it’s near impossible not to remove without also tearing out those defrost wires.

• Informative
Reactions: Tiger
Yes, the rear defrost wires are on the inside of the rear panel. If you remove the tint (bubbling, installation error, new legal regulation, etc), it’s near impossible not to remove without also tearing out those defrost wires.
^^This
That happened 1 month after removing my rear window tint. Fortunately it was covered under warranty because I said I never had tint on it.

Attachments

• 20230526_130200.jpg
    20230526_130200.jpg
    301.2 KB · Views: 100
  • 20230526_130224.jpg
    20230526_130224.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Informative
Reactions: Tiger
I had a 2019 model 3 and the tint from 3M started to fade/haze/blurry. 3M covered the removal and reinstall under warranty. But when the same shop that installed it, removed the tint, the defrost wires were damaged. Be careful!