Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window tinting.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a Tesla Y on order.

I would like to match the factory window tinting to the front driver and passenger side windows, and to the rear (trunk) windshield.

Would a 20% ceramic tint match the other windows?

I appreciate your help.

Great question because I’ve been wondering the same thing. One thing I know for sure is I will surely tint the back windows as well. Privacy and heat protection are two very different things. With as much glass as the Model Y has the heat (especially in Texas) comes in abundance. You can put the clear tint over the privacy glass and still put the 20% on the fronts and it will still be very very close (at least that’s what I’ve been told). I will also do the 70% or whatever it is on the front windshield and pay the extra $100 or whatever it is because I believe tinting these windows means less AC use which means less battery use which means I drive longer 😜

Reactions: freed0m
Upvote 0
XPEL is good. When XPEL is installed well with wrapped edges, you won't see any downside really on a red car. I'm sure others can contribute more.

What brand is the window tinting film?
XPEL I presume is the brand for windows as well.

For those asking about front window matching back windows. My installer said 20% is what the back is...but you do have to rely on the expertise of the shop to make sure it matches. My guys do a lot of Teslas... but I presume most shops that tint are good at Teslas.

Upvote 0
If legality is important to you, it depends on the state you are in.

I chose to go with 30% front and 15% back. The tint shop I visited measured the factory back tint first and added another, lighter tint to get the rear tint down to 15%.

The back is about 24% from the manufacturer, so 25–30% on the front would match if you want an equal amount of shade.
However, the rear is only smoked glass, not actually tinted, and offers no UV protection.

Upvote 0
If legality is important to you, it depends on the state you are in.

I chose to go with 30% front and 15% back. The tint shop I visited measured the factory back tint first and added another, lighter tint to get the rear tint down to 15%.

The back is about 24% from the manufacturer, so 25–30% on the front would match if you want an equal amount of shade.
However, the rear is only smoked glass, not actually tinted, and offers no UV protection.
Michigan has strict rules but police will only pull ya over if they cant see you at all or if the windshield is noticeably tinted.

Upvote 0
I did front windows 30% today, back it seems varies from 18 to 20% based on the material and measurement tool used.

california cops are slowly coming back in force after a lax pandemeic three years and pulling over folks with dark tint more nowadays. hence i went a bit lighter on front.

Reactions: woolymammoth17
Upvote 0
Has anyone removed the rear tint to upgrade it? I was planning a ceramic tint all the way around but not sure if it’s worth replacing the rear windows tint as well.
The shading in the rear can not be removed, but you can have a film installed over it. If you are not wanting to add much extra shade you can use a 75% shade of film to block out the heat and uv but not add any additional shading to it, of you can add other shades to make things darker if you would like.

We tint several of the Model Y vehicles and majority of our clients do choose to do all the glass.

If you have any questions on Tint, PPF, or Ceramic Coating please let me know and I am glad to help you out.

Travis
949-522-6287

Upvote 0
The shading in the rear can not be removed, but you can have a film installed over it. If you are not wanting to add much extra shade you can use a 75% shade of film to block out the heat and uv but not add any additional shading to it, of you can add other shades to make things darker if you would like.

We tint several of the Model Y vehicles and majority of our clients do choose to do all the glass.

If you have any questions on Tint, PPF, or Ceramic Coating please let me know and I am glad to help you out.

Travis
949-522-6287
For those considering tinting the windshield… consider also that the next day you can get a chip and your money is wasted… I had that missfortune 😩😩😩

Upvote 0
For those considering tinting the windshield… consider also that the next day you can get a chip and your money is wasted… I had that missfortune 😩😩😩
You are correct, no one can control when a rock chip will happen. No one can also control an accident either but that is why we have insurance as well so things can get fixed and repaired.

Upvote 0
You are correct, no one can control when a rock chip will happen. No one can also control an accident either but that is why we have insurance as well so things can get fixed and repaired.
Concur. However windshield chips are more common than accidents....I think. :) Just something I had not considered before spending money on it. In Michigan however, without much sun compared to southern states, windshield is not as impt to tint. IMO.

Upvote 0
I'm also thinking of at least getting the front windows tinted to match the rear windows. Is it recommended to have the windshield tinted as well. Do you find that helps a lot with glare? If I do the windshield, it seems that 70% is the recommended amount? Is the rear window also already tinted?

Upvote 0
I'm also thinking of at least getting the front windows tinted to match the rear windows. Is it recommended to have the windshield tinted as well. Do you find that helps a lot with glare? If I do the windshield, it seems that 70% is the recommended amount? Is the rear window also already tinted?
If you live in norther states no need for front windshield tint. I had then apply a UV ceramic protector that also reduces heating of pannels but not tinted.
Against tinting front windshield:
1. More likely to get pulled over I am told.
2. I like to see the natural light while driving especially at night.
3. More Freq replacements due to chipping
4. I find most of the heat in car comes from top glass(which is tinted)

Upvote 0
The rear glass is darkened but not specifically treated to reject IR (heat) the same as the rear passenger door windows. The top glass is factory treated to reject UV and IR. Maryland has strict rules re tinting. You cannot tint the windshield except for the top 5 inches (known as the AS-1 line.) The driver or front passenger windows tinting must have a minimum of 35% light transmittance. (A 65% or commonly 70% tint (barely noticeable) is OK, a 50% tint treatment of the front windows would not.)

(LPT: In some states, including Virginia, you can obtain a medical exception for additional tinting for conditions such as migraine headaches with a note from your physician.)

From the Maryland.Gov Vehicle Equipment FAQ:

Red, yellow, amber, tint with a sparkling effect and reflective window tint is prohibited for all vehicles.

Post manufacturer add-on window tint is prohibited on the windshield of any vehicle below the AS1 line or 5 inches from the top of the windshield, whichever is less.

On passenger cars, convertibles, and station wagons:

- All windows with add-on window tint must have at least 35 percent light transmittance.

On multipurpose vehicles, vans, and class “E” trucks that have a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) equal to or less than 10,000 pounds:

- Windows on the driver and right front passenger doors with add-on window tint must have at least 35 percent light transmittance.

All other windows can be tinted to any degree of darkness.

Vehicle Equipment FAQs

Upvote 0