Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tinting front side windows only -- est. cost?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Varies from location to location, area by area and is also dependent on what film is used. It can vary quite a bit depending on the combination of those metrics but probably $150-$200 or so would be ballpark. 17% give or take a couple percent will match the fronts to the rears and fall within legal limits for most states.

Reactions: fsb1 and Pianewman
$150 in upland.

A lot of other prices on this page.

1713125543046.png

It's LA so probably a little higher than many areas, but at ~$200 it's a no-brainer -- I prefer the look of a matched front/back.
Pricing on stuff like this where you are isn't all that different from the Front Range of Colorado. If anything, you have more competition which helps to keep the prices relatively reasonable. It's trickier in areas that have less competition, even if the cost of living/real estate prices are lower. Retail for the Nano Ceramic tint I just had done a couple of weeks ago on our new 2024 MYLR was $175 retail, $150 for me since we've had them tint dozens of cars over the years.

$160 out my way in Pennsylvania. Did mine a couple weeks ago.

Removal is a bit of a pain, but DIY-able. I've used a steamer, like you do for clothes to get it nice and warm, then peel off in one piece. Heat then peel some, then heat and peel more. It does leave "boogers" of adhesive here and there that you need to remove by hand (fingernail). Then where you remove them, you'll get a smudge that you need to use isopropyl or similar to get off. Whatever you do, don't lower the window until you get them all off or it'll smudge on the fuzzy window guide and forever leave streaks on the glass.

I doubt you'll need to remove it for lease return.

Don't be so sure about that:

I had the tint removed 2 months ago as the lease return inspection they did resulted in a charge of $350 if I turned it in with tint.
I've learned that Tesla is now much more strict and they will charge you for it (I didn't used to get charged for tins on lease returns with Tesla). It's $350 for all windows. I had my local tint shop remove all but the back window as they advised against it (it can easily tear the defrost wiring). So Tesla charged me $150 for having the back window tinted.

• Informative
Reactions: fredzos
Don't be so sure about that:
$350? That's not much more than they'd be charged for removal in the LA area. If it were me, I'd roll the dice as the odds (despite the two anecdotal posts of unquestionable validity you cited) are in their favor that it'll be a non-issue at the time of turn-in. That said, I don't lease vehicles for reasons exactly like this among man, many more.

Just did mine here in Western Canada and with the windshield was only ~$500. Removal is super easy, I've done it on alot of cars since I was a kid. Just rip the plastic tint off, the glue will remain on the glass (sometimes some glue might come with the tint, heat gun can sometimes help keep the glue attached to the tint but is a pain and takes forever) then just use goo-gone and a glass scraper with plastic blade and paper towel/microfiber cloth (all home Depot supplies - super cheap), wet the cloth with some more goo gone as a final wipe. Clean with glass cleaner when done. Just tape off the top of the door card with thick plastic bag wrapped to the ground and be cautious with the goo-gone liquid. Totally DIY-able and takes maybe 30 minutes a window start to finish. The tinters up here I've found will remove it pretty cheap, offer some cash, grab coffee and they'll bang it out. I just rather do it and avoid any issues to the door card etc. Good luck. Do you have a percentage sorted out? Are you doing your windshield to? I can say ceramic Xpel xr came out super nice and cuts tons of heat - especially with windshield done.. I'm a fan.

Last edited:
Turns out the $120 quote was for regular tint. Ceramic was $150. They pulled a little bait-and-switch, but I'm ultimately OK with that since the total was the same as my initial expectation and they did a great job with the installation.