Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Am I being lied to by the tint business

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Model Y Long Range.

I called a tint place to ask about tinting my front windows and front windshield with ceramic. The guy tells me that rear windows and rear windshield and roof are "deep dipped", and that there is "no UV protection and no heat rejection". Then I realized that the roof is 3 layers. Looks like 2 layers of glass and maybe something else. I find it hard to believe that the roof offers no heat rejection!

After hours or research I still can't tell what kind of tint, if any, is used on the rear windows and rear windshield and roof. Is it worth tinting ALL glass on the car or only the front 3 sections. The more research I do the more confused I get and don't know which route to take.

2023 Model Y Long Range.

I called a tint place to ask about tinting my front windows and front windshield with ceramic. The guy tells me that rear windows and rear windshield and roof are "deep dipped", and that there is "no UV protection and no heat rejection". Then I realized that the roof is 3 layers. Looks like 2 layers of glass and maybe something else. I find it hard to believe that the roof offers no heat rejection!

After hours or research I still can't tell what kind of tint, if any, is used on the rear windows and rear windshield and roof. Is it worth tinting ALL glass on the car or only the front 3 sections. The more research I do the more confused I get and don't know which route to take.
Do ALL the glass

2023 Model Y Long Range.

The shop I went to put a measuring tool under the top glass and showed me, it was rejecting about 98% of UV. I tinted everything else, more for looks.

The shop suggested a lite tint on the windshield to keep the car cool, it worked.

I have done cars in regular tint, ceramic tint etc. The ceramic tint cuts down on heat a lot more. Windshield is one of the most important btw, had to replace windshield and waited 2 weeks to get it tinted(HUGE DIFFERENCE). Also coworkers have 3 and Y without tint and they cook in the heat and notice my car is much cooler on their heads

2023 Model Y Long Range.

My initial thought is, if you have to go to an internet site like this one and post "Is the shop lying to me?", you dont trust the shop enough to use it, period, regardless of what the answer to this question is. You probably need to keep looking for another shop you trust more.

I just learned that the clear front windows measures at 90% for IR rejection. And blocks 100% UVR. Seems like tinting isn’t needed anywhere on the car.
shrug... I noticed a pretty large difference (absolutely noticeable) in how hot my arm gets with the sun on the window pre tinted windows and post. With that being said, I was always going to tint my windows, as I have tinted all my car windows for the past 25 years or so.

I just drove my model 3 (and my wifes model Y) for a couple weeks before getting them tinted, due to needing the cars / scheduling.

I am certainly not going to try to tell someone else they need or dont need something though. I just know for a fact it makes a difference in my own cars, but I didnt do it just for numbers either.

I just learned that the clear front windows measures at 90% for IR rejection. And blocks 100% UVR. Seems like tinting isn’t needed anywhere on the car.
Tint is never needed. It’s an accessory that depends on personal preference if someone wants it or not.

Where’s your source that the front glass blocks 90% IR? I don’t think that’s correct. Automotive glass naturally blocks a lot of UV, especially laminated glass.

Regardless, there’s a noticeable difference in heat with tinted and non tinted front windows.

2023 Model Y Long Range.

It will be easy for your shop to definitely demonstrate the effectiveness of their tint. They can use meters and a small piece of their product for before and after effects.

The roof reflects most of the incoming IR based on measurements posted on this site back when the Model 3 was new. It is glass though and lets in a lot the visible spectrum. This energy will cause things in the car to get hot because it gets absorbed regardless of how much IR makes it through. Dark tint significantly reduces energy transmission in the visible spectrum. The less electromagnetic energy hits the interior of your car, the cooler it will stay.

Any glass that transmits light in the visible spectrum blocks UV. It blocks all of UVB and part of the UVA spectrum. All you need is something in it or on it to clean up the rest of the UVA and you’ve got 100%. That’s based on quantum mechanics but I’ve measured it with a UV meter.

Someone posted results with an IR meter and Tesla’s glass blocked it, too. Much of what’s absorbed is converted to radiant heat, you’ll feel that.

Reactions: holmgang
After over 2 years of owning my May, one of the best things i did was front windshield tint. Don’t know if it has any protection from factory but there definitely is a difference when compared to other people’s MYs ive been on. All other windows I did diy at home. The only glass not tinted is the roof but I don’t think it’s necessary. If it gets bad i guess I’ll throw the covers on for the two days a year