Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Window won't close

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The driver's window refused to close today for some period of time. It simply won't stay closed. At some point, it closed but I haven't a clue as to what caused it to stay down OR roll up! Any suggestions would be helpful. Looking in the owners manual but haven't found it yet (if it's even in there).

TIA,
David

I had the same issue recently. I was paying for parking, rolled the window down, paid and rolled it back up. It rolled up then rolled down a quarter of the way, and i would roll it up and rinse and repeat. I found leaving it alone for 5 seconds then rolling it up solved that. It seems it doesn't like instance input.

I had the same issue recently. I was paying for parking, rolled the window down, paid and rolled it back up. It rolled up then rolled down a quarter of the way, and i would roll it up and rinse and repeat. I found leaving it alone for 5 seconds then rolling it up solved that. It seems it doesn't like instance input.
wish I knew if it was a bug or a response to some system state I'm unaware of...

See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, Page 13 - https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Calibrating Windows

In the unlikely event that a window behaves
unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open
or close properly, goes down more than normal when
the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially
fix the issue.

To calibrate a window:
1. Close the door with the affected window.
2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise
the affected window until it stalls.
4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower
the affected window until it stalls.
5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it
stalls.

The window should now be calibrated. If the issue
continues after attempting the calibration procedure a
couple times, contact Tesla

My model 3 window wend down and won’t come back up. I tried resetting the screen and holding the switch. Down for 30 seconds and up foe 30 seconds. No Luck. And the switch. Feels loose. First appointment for repair is in a month. Thoughts? Help?

My model 3 window wend down and won’t come back up. I tried resetting the screen and holding the switch. Down for 30 seconds and up foe 30 seconds. No Luck. And the switch. Feels loose. First appointment for repair is in a month. Thoughts? Help?
I've had this issue with my Model Y since 6 month after purchase. Had it into the shop 15 - yes - 15 times. Have now filed a Lemon Law suit to get Tesla to replace my car with a comparable car (my choice - other option was they would buy my car back). Turns out this is a known, non-reparable issue which needs a firmware fix. No ETA on that.

Reactions: Steerpike
Same problem since new on my 2022 MIC Model Y both front windows although more often with the passenger side.
Has been "fixed" twice by Tesla service and still happens although somewhat less frequently than originally.
Never had this problem with 2019 Fremont M3.
Presumably associated with the double glazing and extra rubber introduced to reduce wind noise.
I suspect that window lubricant may help but haven't tried it yet.

Happened to me when it was -30C here last weekend. Resetting the computer and doing a calibration didn't quite fix it. Eventually after a few tries it worked. It feels like the mechanism works hard enough that it thinks it's pinching something and goes back down. I hope they bump the pinch detection a bit, it'S not great in the cold.