Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows dropping at random when opening driver door any ideas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I open my drivers door sometimes the rear near side window also drops. A my ideas?
@John mclean There is a recalibration procedure to hold the window down button for 30 seconds, then up for 30 seconds. This recalibrates the force sensors at the stops.

BTW, all windows do drop an inch when opening to clear the door frame. When you close the door, they go back up. I'm sure you are not talking about that, but if so....

Let us know if this procedure (given to me by Tesla) fixes the problem!

• Informative
Reactions: calidreamz808
Upvote 0
If this only happens when you open your driver door from the INSIDE, then odds are you're hitting the window switches accidentally as you're opening your door (for example, with your watch, if you wear one). In fact, I don't wear a watch and have accidentally tapped a window switch many times when getting in/out.

If it happens whenever the door is being opened, even from the outside, then you'll want to look into getting it serviced as there could be an electrical issue in the door wiring harness, or a bad switch for the back window.

Upvote 0
In addition to @DaveRZ's point, it's possible to accidentally hit the window switches when closing the door from the inside -- you get in, grab the handle, and accidentally hit the window switch. I frequently ran into this problem when I first got my Model 3, and it drove me nuts. I finally noticed it happen once or twice, and after I began paying more attention, the problem has dropped in frequency. Tesla now also has an option somewhere in the controls to automatically close the windows after the car locks when you exit the vehicle. I don't recall precisely where the option is, but I set it once it became available. (It didn't exist 2.5 years ago, when I bought my car.) That at least helps with the problem of windows being down because of accidental button-presses when exiting the vehicle, but it won't help if it happens when you enter the vehicle.

Upvote 0
I got in the habit of closing the windows as I leave the car because more than once they were left slightly open just from resting my arm there. I did this in my old cars too. When you are driving on the streets you don't always hear they are open, but on the highway it is more obvious, and I'm almost always just on the streets.

Reactions: Kevy Baby
Upvote 0
If this only happens when you open your driver door from the INSIDE, then odds are you're hitting the window switches accidentally as you're opening your door

I got in the habit of closing the windows as I leave the car because more than once they were left slightly open just from resting my arm there.
As someone who swore up and down that I had a defect only to begrudgingly acknowledge that I was the one accidentally hitting the window switches and lowering them, I will also say that the error is most likely the driver accidentally and unknowingly bumping the window switches; either while driving or while getting out of the vehicle.

Upvote 0
I got in the habit of closing the windows as I leave the car because more than once they were left slightly open just from resting my arm there. I did this in my old cars too. When you are driving on the streets you don't always hear they are open, but on the highway it is more obvious, and I'm almost always just on the streets.
There's a setting for that...

Upvote 0
@John mclean There is a recalibration procedure to hold the window down button for 30 seconds, then up for 30 seconds. This recalibrates the force sensors at the stops.

BTW, all windows do drop an inch when opening to clear the door frame. When you close the door, they go back up. I'm sure you are not talking about that, but if so....

Let us know if this procedure (given to me by Tesla) fixes the problem!
John, do you happen to have a procedure on how to calibrate the windows, I do noticed it also on my model Y, I am not sure if the door has to be close or open and should I hold the switch down for 30 sec

Upvote 0

the windows close automatically when the car locks.

Upvote 0
Have you only noticed this since the weather has been getting colder out?

There is a ”feature” that lowers all the windows just a tiny amount when the weather is cold out. It does this to prevent the windows froze freezing to the windows frame, and also to prevent damage to the window if it does freeze and is unable to lower automatically when the door is open.

Nit sure this is what you’re hearing, but just a thought.

Upvote 0
Have you only noticed this since the weather has been getting colder out?

There is a ”feature” that lowers all the windows just a tiny amount when the weather is cold out. It does this to prevent the windows froze freezing to the windows frame, and also to prevent damage to the window if it does freeze and is unable to lower automatically when the door is open.

Nit sure this is what you’re hearing, but just a thought.
Yes mine does this only in cold weather, otherwise they do not....

Upvote 0