Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windows venting themselves

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened two times now. I come out to the car and all the windows are down about an inch. This time I caught it on my cameras and it happened right after I started to warm the car. Is this supposed to happen under certain scenarios? It was 30 degrees Fahrenheit.

Climate Overheat Protection might have an option to vent the windows, but not at 30°F.

The other case where it's supposed to happen is when someone taps (intentionally or not) the vent-windows button in the Tesla app or its home screen widget.

An actual "opening" shouldn't happen unless you also touched the "vent" button in your mobile app. Windows will readjust a bit when it's cold, and 30F qualifies as cold. That is in case they freeze to the rubber and hit the trim when you open the door. When you get in the car and Drive they would readjust back up. I haven't precisely measured that adjustment but it's significant enough that you can see the window sits lower, but there is no opening.
If you are certain you have not touched the vent button, you might want to try to calibrate your windows. There is a way without the service menu but it's easier inside the service menu.

I've had it happen twice on two different Model 3s but in both cases I couldn't be sure one of us hadn't accidentally hit the 'vent' button in the app. And therein lies the problem!