Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most of the time the problem is due to off gasing of the interiour materials. It will do that cloud sorta thing your referring too. Modern materials in motor vehice interiours tend to off gas more than prior less eco friendly types of materials in vinyl rubber and other plastics etc

Ceramic coating the glass is a definite go to but be very sure to prep it cos you dont want to see in cloud under the coating

Be mindful not to use solvents in the washer fluid if you do coat it

Really, its all in getting it clean. Coatings just make it easier once clean, to stay clean through surface tension reductions. As above, use a microfibre towel, change it when dirty dont scratch the glass. If its really bad youll have to compound cut the glass, then polish the glass, then seal it with a wax/polynmer/coating. If you dont know how to use polishing equipment and what pads to use etcetc Id get someone who does if you just want it fixed at little time to yourself
There is no way I would coat the inside of the glass. I mean you could but it seems really pointless. Off gassing of voc’s is regular for a couple of years. If it smells new its still massively releasing those voc’s. (Assuming no masking has occured) Soapy water is the only way I have ever found that successfuly deals with it.

Reactions: Power Hungry
The main reason folk do it, is to reduce the amount of effort to clean it.

One it tends to make the job easier as the ergonomics of getting dam well in there positioned ok isnt very good, but mostly, its because less is more. A golden rule is dont scratch. Scratches can occur even from the direction of the microfibre, like straight vs circular. The pressure of rubbing needed on unsealed glass vs sealed glass is noticeably different. Obviously the glass isnt super sensitive but once people understand what scratches in the glass surface actually look like - not stone chips or cracks but scratches - they realise its more like not seeing well out of it rather than blindgly obvious deep scrtaches. Its kinda like small micro swirl marks that give a matt kinda effect.

But, Im not saying someone educated with a sense of all this ike you mate cant do it via a strong detergent and no sealant. Just you need to have more sense than if it were sealed. Folk like you Paul arent gunna be likely to scratchup their glass,

The main reason folk do it, is to reduce the amount of effort to clean it.

One it tends to make the job easier as the ergonomics of getting dam well in there positioned ok isnt very good, but mostly, its because less is more. A golden rule is dont scratch. Scratches can occur even from the direction of the microfibre, like straight vs circular. The pressure of rubbing needed on unsealed glass vs sealed glass is noticeably different. Obviously the glass isnt super sensitive but once people understand what scratches in the glass surface actually look like - not stone chips or cracks but scratches - they realise its more like not seeing well out of it rather than blindgly obvious deep scrtaches. Its kinda like small micro swirl marks that give a matt kinda effect.

But, Im not saying someone educated with a sense of all this ike you mate cant do it via a strong detergent and no sealant. Just you need to have more sense than if it were sealed. Folk like you Paul arent gunna be likely to scratchup their glass,
Grab yourself one of the triangular devices mentioned a few posts up and save the gymnastics. I now clean my inside glass with a microfibre from outside the car. I find standing at the wing mirror with door open is the most advantageous place.

Reactions: Power Hungry