Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Back Order

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used to get my Porsche serviced at an independent repair place. Porsche never supplied a loaner to me if parts I needed were back ordered.

You might have a case if the Tesla SC was doing the work. But not for just a part.

That's cool. I mean if we're going to start lumping Tesla in with the rest of the old guard - then fine. They've always just been better than that....

They can't provide the part. It's pretty simple. How the hell is my insurance company supposed to get the windshield replaced if Tesla can't provide the part.

Bottom line....Tesla's level of customer service has really declined over the past 3 years. I guess that's what's bugging me most.
You'll be happy to know I agree with you 100%.

My MS was out of commission for 2+ months, following a minor fender bender, due to back-ordered parts. I wound up writing a snail mail letter to Elon at corporate HQ. I never got a reply (which is kind of rude, in and of itself - an administrative ass't should have replied), but the Denver SC called and offered me a loaner, after the initial denial ("the fender bender wasn't our fault." But the outrageous repair delay IS your fault, yada yada...)

Hey MorrisonHiker - just curious why your MS is delayed until October. Your choice, or Tesla's backlog?

Hey MorrisonHiker - just curious why your MS is delayed until October. Your choice, or Tesla's backlog?

My friend and I both ordered on April 9th in anticipation of the refreshed S which was announced three days later, on the 12th. Originally we were hoping to pick them both up the same day. Coming from an X reservation, I decided to wait a few months to see if any more X features would make it to the S and I delayed delivery. Since he parks his S in my garage, I already have nearly all the benefits of an S without the payments. ;)

Glad you got your issue resolved.

I had a cracked windshield and chose to go with the Pilkington product instead of waiting on a Tesla OEM windshield. Pilkington and Safelite have gotten nice reviews on TMC. That could have been an option for you. I'm very happy with mine though I've only had it about a month now.

My only gripe with Safelite is they scheduled a remote replacement at my home, then 30 minutes before my appointment they called and said they didn't have the technical capability to replace it remotely and I had to drive a half hour to their facility. I yelled and screamed and they gave me a $50 discount off my $250 price. I suspect the technical challenge really was a Friday afternoon service call they didn't want to make...

Glad you got your issue resolved.

I had a cracked windshield and chose to go with the Pilkington product instead of waiting on a Tesla OEM windshield. Pilkington and Safelite have gotten nice reviews on TMC. That could have been an option for you. I'm very happy with mine though I've only had it about a month now.

My only gripe with Safelite is they scheduled a remote replacement at my home, then 30 minutes before my appointment they called and said they didn't have the technical capability to replace it remotely and I had to drive a half hour to their facility. I yelled and screamed and they gave me a $50 discount off my $250 price. I suspect the technical challenge really was a Friday afternoon service call they didn't want to make...

They wouldn't replace mine remotely either. They said they do not do "high end cars" remotely. The safelite team associated with USAA was great...the local store in Quincy MA - not so much. They were impossible to get on the phone. They seem to have done a good job, but when I opened the hood for them the guy asked "where the hell is the engine!?". Time will tell!

A co-worker couldn't get delivery of his Model S yesterday, due to Tesla discovering a crack in the windshield...which is still back-ordered...
I think he got a loaner though (didn't notice it in the parking lot yet)

Just to give credit where it's due....the Tesla team at Dedham and Watertown worked together to get a windshield expedited and delivered within two days of realizing there was a back order. Still think a loaner should have been issued without question, but a nice recovery indeed.

Glad to see you got it worked out.

Windshields are designed to high standards and if slightly cracked, they should still hold together. An extra step would be to add a piece of 2 in. width clear packaging tape across the crack on the inside, as a temporary measure, until the replacement can be done.

Um, I called my local Tesla service center last week and told them I wanted a replacement windshield due to double imaging (ghosting at night) and they ordered one and it arrived 3 days later. They are picking up the car at my home 2 hrs from SC and providing a loaner MS. Fantastic service all around.

Are Teslas windshield more susceptible to cracking. I've had tons of rock chips before and never had a crack. First 8 weeks of owning the car, we got a rock chip driving 20 mphs and it I was surprised how big it spidered out from a slow speed chip and how loud it hit. Within the day, the crack spread about a foot.

Going to have to window replaced directly with Tesla. They're sending someone to my house to pick up the car in San Antonio, then gonna drive it to Austin, then drive it back after its fixed.

For what it's worth, I'm nearly into my sixth month of waiting for a (warranty) replacement windshield to arrive. I wasn't in a hurry during gravel season, but at this rate the snow might be flying again before it arrives. So... It could always be worse. As for a loaner, nearest service centre is about 1800 km away. Not gonna hold my breath on that one.

Have to get my windshield replaced soon and Safelite said that I shouldn't use the Autopilot on my MS until it is calibrated by Tesla. Has anyone had a problem with their AP after a windshield replacement?
I'm in the same situation but what would Safelite know about AP and Tesla? I would call the SC about it.

The windshield appears to be in inventory @ my Denver SC so I got a lucky break (pun not intended). Unfortunately, I have to go thru Safelite because of insurance.

I fail to see the rationale as to why this would be the proper response. While the windshield is insured by USAA, the car is not safely operable because the insured windshield cannot be replaced by TESLA because their part is backordered.

I'm beyond being blinded by fanboyism at this point.

I actually requested from the insurance company, that the repair be done by a Tesla service center at whatever their replacement cost is. There is technology up there related to safe operating of the vehicle, and no offense to Safelite, but I'd would prefer it be done right by people who are familiar with the process as well as the parts.