Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Defects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed a couple of sizeable defects on my windshield recently that all appear to be inside the glass. One looks like an etching and the other looks like a huge smudge. Unfortunately, both are in areas that are very distracting when driving in direct sun.

Can anyone shed some light on the windshield design that has these looking like they are inside the glass?

Nothing I've used to clean or polish has made a dent on either spot.

I've noticed a couple of sizeable defects on my windshield recently that all appear to be inside the glass. One looks like an etching and the other looks like a huge smudge. Unfortunately, both are in areas that are very distracting when driving in direct sun.

Can anyone shed some light on the windshield design that has these looking like they are inside the glass?

Nothing I've used to clean or polish has made a dent on either spot.

I have the same thing. I've never seen anything like it before - it seems like a manufacturing defect in the glass wherein some kind of impurity got between the laminated layers and it is "inside the glass". Mine looks like spots or smudges and no amount of polishing the exterior of the glass has made a dent in them.

Mine is in my line of sight, low in the glass and most noticeable when it is daylight outside and you get a dark object in front of the spots.

I'm not willing to have the glass changed to fix it - I'll wait until I get a rock chip/crack in the windshield.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
I also have the same thing on the front drivers and passenger side door glass at the top. This is on a month old S100D.

At first I thought it was normal smudging from opening and closing the window but realized it was more significant when I wore out my arm trying to get the "smudges" out.

I looked at the "smudges" under a USB microscope, and they are definitely not surface marks.

i have noticed alot of wind noise from the windscreen on the drivers side upper part of the area when driving on freeway and when windy out( lately in denver very windy)
Anyone have windscreen sealing issues? 4/2017 model s.16k