Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Part Order Delayed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In the first couple days of owning my P3D+ someone chunked a glass at my windshield and shattered it :(

I ordered a new windshield to be installed by Tesla roughly 3 weeks ago, but it hasn’t came in yet.

I was wondering if anyone else has ordered a Windsheild or any other parts from Tesla and has experienced such a delay?

I understand they’re backed up on production, but I’d really like to drive my car!

I apparently made the mistake of reporting my cracked Model 3 windshield to my insurance company and requested that Safelite do the replacement. I've now been waiting over 2 months for Tesla to deliver a replacement windshield to my local Safelite so they can replace it. I finally got tired of waiting and contacted Tesla directly. They told me they can have one fore me... in 2-3 more weeks. I've had my new Model 3 just over 3 months, and have had a cracked windshield for over 2 of those months. Not happy. I still don't know what I will be paying to get a new one. My insurance company has so far not heard back my local Tesla dealership in Seattle to get a replacement quote.

I apparently made the mistake of reporting my cracked Model 3 windshield to my insurance company and requested that Safelite do the replacement. I've now been waiting over 2 months for Tesla to deliver a replacement windshield to my local Safelite so they can replace it. I finally got tired of waiting and contacted Tesla directly. They told me they can have one fore me... in 2-3 more weeks. I've had my new Model 3 just over 3 months, and have had a cracked windshield for over 2 of those months. Not happy. I still don't know what I will be paying to get a new one. My insurance company has so far not heard back my local Tesla dealership in Seattle to get a replacement quote.
I heard that going through safelite has been a chore, that’s why I decided to go directly through Tesla.

lo and behold, an hour after posting this thread, I got an e-mail from Tesla saying my windshield is here.

Took me about 3 weeks and that’s what I’ve heard from other owners as well.

I heard that going through safelite has been a chore, that’s why I decided to go directly through Tesla.

lo and behold, an hour after posting this thread, I got an e-mail from Tesla saying my windshield is here.

Update: My Tesla service rep is awesome and she was able to get a quote quickly ($792.50). While I'm on the phone today relaying this information to my insurance company... Safelite calls me to tell me that my windshield is finally in. 9 weeks it took. I will likely take it in to Safelite, but I have to figure out if Tesla charges for recalibrating the dash camera and how much that costs, so I can see if it's worth waiting more weeks for the Tesla dealership to receive and install the windshield.

I had a nice dump truck send a rock in my first 2 weeks of getting the car, it only damaged the very corner , I showed it to a glass guy friend, Glass America - his company does the glass for the local body shop thats Tesla Authorized ( independent shop) He has done a lot of Tesla Glass and said that they go out of there way to not disturb the camera and sensor area and have had only a few that needed re calibration, In any event I am going to wait as long as possibly to get it replaced, since the car seems to be a stone magnet -

Update: My Tesla service rep is awesome and she was able to get a quote quickly ($792.50). While I'm on the phone today relaying this information to my insurance company... Safelite calls me to tell me that my windshield is finally in. 9 weeks it took. I will likely take it in to Safelite, but I have to figure out if Tesla charges for recalibrating the dash camera and how much that costs, so I can see if it's worth waiting more weeks for the Tesla dealership to receive and install the windshield.

$792.50 for a Tesla produced windshield? I was quoted $1019!

Just wondering does Tesl

Does Tesla install the glass or do they call like a windshield vendor(safelite) to come in and install it?

Just wondering does Tesl

Does Tesla install the glass or do they call like a windshield vendor(safelite) to come in and install it?

I ended up getting the work done through Tesla Body shop at their Pomona service center. It was $530 for parts, and 2.1 hrs of labor @ $175/hr. So total was $947.85 but Geico covered it since Safelite NEVER got the part so I ended up only paying my $50/deductible.

Reactions: BobAbooey