Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Rock Hit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that's quite a lot of money. How long did it take from the time you filed the claim until it was finished? Did they give you a loaner?

When I filed for a glass claim, USAA asked for photos of the windshield - they want to see if the damage can be repaired or the whole windshield has to be replaced. It started with a small star shaped rock-ding then became a 12 inch crack after a few days - so it had to be replaced.

I set up an appointment with Tesla as soon as I saw the shield crack.

USAA will have a glass company recommendation but they can not force you to use them. Tesla SC is the way to go I think.

I took the car around 0900 to my appointment at the Tesla Service Center, I told them I'd wait for it - it was done and I was out the door by noon.

USAA just asked for the PAID invoice and reimbursed me the difference from the invoice paid and my deductible. Total paid invoice $1200 for a Model 3 windshield.

• Informative
Reactions: Matsayz
Thanks for the heads up everyone. This seems to be a touchy situation. I'm still waiting for Tesla to get in touch with USAA because they are suppliers for the windshield. Not sure who's going to actually install it but I will let you all know when I find out more information. At least the repair should keep the damage from spreading too far so I'm not in a big hurry to get it completed. They tell me that the state of Florida requires the insurance companies to repair or replace the windshield with no charge. Not known yet who pays for the realignment of the cameras that are attached to the windshield along with the rear view mirror. Thanks again for all your responses.

• Informative
Reactions: RoBoRaT
Thanks for the heads up everyone. This seems to be a touchy situation. I'm still waiting for Tesla to get in touch with USAA because they are suppliers for the windshield. Not sure who's going to actually install it but I will let you all know when I find out more information. At least the repair should keep the damage from spreading too far so I'm not in a big hurry to get it completed. They tell me that the state of Florida requires the insurance companies to repair or replace the windshield with no charge. Not known yet who pays for the realignment of the cameras that are attached to the windshield along with the rear view mirror. Thanks again for all your responses.

You could also be running into supply problems. Windshields for the Y have been very slow to order.

Tesla talked to USAA and USAA agreed to replace the windshield. So I made a reservation at the service center and and they had the windshield at the dealership when I arrived. They replace the windshield realigned the cameras that are attached to the windshield and I drove it home. I ended up paying Tesla $1,350 for the windshield and installation and USAA sent me a check for the $1,350. So everything worked out well.

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020
Tesla talked to USAA and USAA agreed to replace the windshield. So I made a reservation at the service center and and they had the windshield at the dealership when I arrived. They replace the windshield realigned the cameras that are attached to the windshield and I drove it home. I ended up paying Tesla $1,350 for the windshield and installation and USAA sent me a check for the $1,350. So everything worked out well.
Was there a deductible?

I have Farmers insurance and they have a windshield rider you can get. I don’t think it cost me but a few bucks per year. If you get a chip or even a crack, they send out satélite. If they can fill it, it costs you nothing. If my windshield has to be replaced, it’s only $100 deductible. My regular deductible is $1000. I’ve replaced 4 windshields this way and it never raised my rates. In Los Angeles it is a fact of life. BMW windshields seem to be incredibly thin. I’m done with that brand.

• Informative
Reactions: Puma2020